Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times

Advertisements

I went to College in K-Falls and still have family down there. I love the town. It doesn't compare to Portland or Eugene for things to do, but it worked fine for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 PM

21 posts, read 65,016 times
woo it sounds scary
thanks for the input

Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I wouldn't pay much attention to bashing from people who have either never even visited or haven't lived in the area. I haven't responded to the OP because I live outside of town and am not familiar with the in-town areas or the individual school districts, so I can't be much help there.

Klamath Falls is a small agricultural-based rural town, with the expected amenities (with a surprise or two, like the Ross Ragland Theater). It's not urban, it's not particularly sophisticated and it does have the same level of meth problem that all of Oregon's (and probably the US's) small, rural, relatively high-unemployment towns have. Anything else is pure exaggeration.
Great post. People have a lot of opinions about K'Falls, and many have not been there. I live in Ashland, so you can imagine how most folks view K'Falls. However, I have been there many times, and I find the place gorgeous and unpretentious. Yes, it leans a bit right, but I suspect there are many good people there. It is also affordable, precisely because exurban Californians do not favor the place so highly. So, by that yardstick, it is a pretty typical rural Oregon, Intermountain West town. Make the best of it, and give it the benefit of the doubt. Warm wishes for your family in Southern Oregon!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,586 times
Hmm. I'm way late to the party so hope you come back to check this some time. I have lived in Klamath Falls for three years now. Before we moved here, I had lived in So Cali for ten years after having been a lifelong Oregonian, then I moved back to Portland for a year and a 1/2. I had never even driven through KF before moving there, and when my husband told me he was being transferred to this nowheresville I sat down and cried. Well fast forward three years and I love it here. People are friendly and there's that small town mentality; no matter where you go you're bound to see three or four people you know. If you want the skinny on a business, neighborhood, etc, just ask the person standing in line next to you at the grocery store. If they don't want to talk, the people next to them will.

It is inexpensive, especially if you are looking to buy a home. Rent is quite cheap for the most part as well. As far as schools, I flip the bird at all those who are so down on Mills Elementary. Yep, it's the poorest school in town, it's in a not so great neighborhood (which I happen to live in, thank you very much), and you know what? That doesn't mean jack to me. It has a fantastic principal and teachers that have bent over backwards to accommodate my children, one who had a severe acting out problem and the other who is highly advanced in her classes and needed to be challenged more. We are moving this month out of Mills Addition to Pacific Terrace, which is supposed to be the fancy schmancy neighborhood and also where Roosevelt Elementary is. Despite Roosevelt's much lauded reputation, I am sick at the idea of having to take my children out of Mills where they are so happy. I wouldn't do it at all but the house we are renting is being sold, and finding housing for larger families in Mills Addition (five of us) is hard here.

Klamath Falls is small and there isn't a lot to do unless you are very into outdoors recreation, but on the other hand it takes us a max of ten minutes to get anywhere (and that's stretching it). The weather is GREAT here. The sun shines almost every day, even when it's freezing. No more nine months of Portland gray and rain or blistering Southern Cali heat! And we definitely have all four seasons; snow in the winter, fantastic thunder storms in the summer, beautiful falls... Moore Park is a beautiful and safe place to take the kids to play. Ragland Theater has great live entertainment. For field trips, the kids get to go there or to Crater Lake (yes, even Mills students). Right near Mills Elementary is the beauty college, where you can get your hair done for a fraction of what a salon would charge you. Down the road from there is Gino's Cafe, which has Mystery Dinner nights and fun buffet specials for Mother's/Father's Day and other things. We have some great antique shops, Super Walmart, (really what more do you need in life?), a handful of other common retailers like Ross. We even have a Stone Cold Creamery.

As far as my neighborhood, Mill's Addition, well, yes it is the redheaded stepchild of our small city but I have been here for three years and compared to the bad neighborhoods in big cities, it's practically Green Acres. I mean, once my next door neighbor had her purse stolen out of her car and the cops went DOOR TO DOOR asking if anyone had seen anything. Over a purse. I could not believe it. The worst thing that happened to me was someone stole my snow shovel. I leave the kids' bikes out all the time and nothing happens but I leave my snow shovel out and some nefarious yet sidewalk thoughtful degenerate runs off with it. Now of course, there are certain crowds that you don't want to run with, certain motels or apartment complexes that are not safe to hang out at but that's true anywhere. So anyway, I hope you come back to update us on where you ended up and how you like it. It took me a while to adjust but I love Klamath Falls and I'm staying put.

Last edited by TheKate; 02-03-2010 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: paragraph spaces didn't show

Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Better late to the party than not showing up at all, TheKate.

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
I've lived here for over 70 years. I like it here. Stay away from the county schools (that includes Keno). The city school system has many good schools, Roosevelt & Conger to be sure are good. The county schools are having problems, not only with building maintenance, but their management sucks, IMO. I wouldn't want to live in the city, but that would be the best choice when you have children and schools to consider. We have a newly elected City Manager, so hopefully that will be a plus. Our newspaper here is still in business, but not well liked by many of the people I know. I suspect any town is kinda what you make it. You choose whether you like it or hate it. There are a few things about Klamath Falls I don't like (like it's located in Oregon), but there are many things I love.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
THE KATE has pretty much hit the nail on the head! Great post Kate. I agree, Mills is a good school,and not located in the very best part of the town, but like I said, the city schools are great schools. Many of the principals I know personally because of my former business. Before I retired I would tell any new people in town to call me if they had questions about doctors, restuarants, vets, schools, etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Thar are some bigg'un Trout in Klamath Lake...

http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/1.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/4.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon