U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 AM

17 posts, read 35,607 times
dizzytoo, thanks for recommending those areas. I will check them out.

do you--or does anyone else--have any recommendations for apartment complexes to look at in NW Portland or those more southerly areas you listed?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 920 times
Default Why people leave So Cal...

Jumpman, I grew up & spent the first 34 years of my life in So Cal . I could not wait to move out of there ! The reason being the house prices are beyond ridiculous, along with the property taxes, and this has caused many to pack up & leave! I would like to mention the smog, which is orange in color & can be seen most of the time from LA to OC ( where I grew up) to Riverside- just terrible! If you or your child has asthma- forget it! Not to mention the traffic ---which is literally hours- Try spending 1- to 2 hours in traffic to get to work & the same time to get back home. My soon to be ex did this for several years & hated it but, had to for work.The beaches, I hung out at as a teenager are now polluted, crowded & parking---almost non-exsistent ! Last summer, my sister & I spent 1 hour to find a place to park! Take a fresh breath of air in Oregon ( I lived there for 5 years & currently am in Nevada) take a walk to the falls, & smile- knowing you live in one of the top rated cities in the US ! I myself plan to relocate back to So. Oregon in 7 months-- Yeah !!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 AM

I recently learned that SE Portland has the greatest concentration of vegan grocery stores and restaurants in all of Portland--so I thought that might be a very convenient place for me to live, since I follow a vegan diet.

Could anyone tell me about transportation from SE to downtown? Is there light rail access?

And what are some nice SE neighborhoods in which to look for an apartment?

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 AM

10,698 posts, read 17,057,869 times
Sellwood and East Moreland are nice.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 AM

13,214 posts, read 9,280,870 times
Quote:
However, I can't imagine any landlord that wouldn't take a year's rent in advance (as suggested by the previous poster) from someone without a job, over month-to-month from someone with a job! If I were a landlord I would definitely take the up-front money. No ifs ands or buts!
That certainly makes sense. In the case of my landlord, he has several buildings, takes good care of them and has people constantly asking if he has vacancies. He can afford to be choosy. One reason he said he would hesitate to rent to someone who comes here with savings and no job is that he has done that before and in every case the person had to move after a year because the savings didn't last nearly as long as they thought it would and they still didn't have a job. So to him, having a job trumps money in the bank.

To the OP, there is no light rail in the SE unless you are on the borderline along Burnside between NE and SE. But SE has good bus transportation to downtown. Don't feel you have to limit yourself to the SE because the majority of vegan grocery stores and restaurants are there. You can live in NE which is a bit cheaper and be just minutes away from a vegan grocery stores and restaurants.

Some nice NE neighborhoods are Sullivan's Gulch, Freemont, Alberta Arts and the Lloyd Center area. SE there is Hawthorne, Buckman, Sunnyside and the area around Clinton Street (don't know what the neighborhood is called) to name a few.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 PM

9 posts, read 9,618 times
Mobile homes are cheap, especially in OR compared to SoCal..
Mobile Homes For Sale - 26,605 Available to Sell or Rent - 36,155 Communities and Parks (mobile home village) is good, as is realtor.com. There are some really nice mobile home parks is Eugene. With a mobile, you'd be paying for the house + space rent. What's included within the space rent ((water, trash, etc) depends on the park.

It showers/rains so much in Eugene (I hear) that people use a power washer to blast off the algae that grows on buildings and sidewalks.The tv news in Eugene is very different than L.A.!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM

thanks for the info about mobile homes, and the info about areas to check out in SE and NE Oregon. It's good to know I could get a cheaper place in NE, and still only be minutes from SE.

I'm planning now to come up to Portland for about a week in January. Think that will be long enough for me to get a feel for the different areas of the city and find a place?

Ideally, I'd like to find a place to rent while there, then return to get my stuff and drive back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon