Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 50,496 times

Advertisements

I hope they're alive, but you have to admit that anyone experienced as they were should know better. If nothing else, consider those guys in 2006. They've never found two of them. You have
to be foolish and cavalier to ascend Hood in the winter!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,513 times
It is frustrating because we hear the same story every year. Besides volunteers risking their lives, it is a very expensive cost to taxpayers for the helicopters and equipment too. I think hikers should be forced to sign something saying that they will be responsible for any cost of rescue, not us. There was a bill introduced to make hikers pay for their own rescue if they wouldn't use a locator device, but don't know what happened with it.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:56 PM

218 posts, read 580,308 times
Yes, when we lived on the OR coast, I do remember this happened every year. My hubby was a serious hiker and had younger male friends who were into this sort of climb - and they even said that they probably wouldn't do some of the things they did IF they were to have to pay for ALL rescue expenses if they did something dumb. I think we know what would cause some sudden common sense to hit these people - a great big ole bill to pay after a risky rescue. My prayers and hopes are with their families today - and with the rescuers who are up there risking their lives. May the bodies be found or some of the remaining fellows.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
I think that if people were held responsible financially for there actions from engaging in a potentially dangerous activity, maybe we would here less about these horrible accidents. Just hopefully the other 2 are found alive.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I guess its the excitement & challenge. I think its pure stupidity. They are not the first & they sure wont be the last. Remember last yr when a few hikers went up mt.hood in shorts & died ? SAD!
Dr. Gary Lee - mountain climber, August 2008 RIP - I liked him alot. I remember the few times I spoke to him & the many times I saw him riding his bicycle to/from work.

He was a great doctor, working as Hospice Director at Peace Health. A rock hit him while climbing with his son, who was very traumatized by the experience.

It leaves a painful rip in the fabric of our lives when such people suddenly leave.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/th...opic_id=644413

I wish the "extreme sports" type people were more... selective of their dangerous hobbies! Wearing a helmet in the above mentioned case wouldn't have been enough. The terrain was too unstable. And I don't think it was his first time there...

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 12-14-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,855 times
A locating beacon would have been the wise choice.

Please note these climbers were among the best of the best; the most experienced and able of those who do this kind of stuff. Expertise is no immunity from disaster and even the competent and confident can get into serious yoghurt really quick.

This is why anyone who chooses to do something so inherently dangerous as climbing alp-like mountains in winter should take all necessary precautions and then some. Locater beacons are not that expensive and can be rented for a pittance.

I hope this story concludes with a happy ending; that the two remaining climbers are rescued with no injuries other than to their dignity. But as with some of the other posters here, I'm not expecting it.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
I think that people should be free to engage in extreme sports and other potential dangerous activities but who foots the bill for there mistake? who pays for the rescues?
No one attempts to climb a mountain with the thought that maybe I'll get lost or injured and get some free search and rescue attention. Fact is, tens of thousands of people die each year getting behind the wheel of a car or truck, versus a couple dozen who die engaging in "extreme" sports. The same public municipalities and states foot the bill for mountain search and rescue that also foot the bill for a "jaws of life" rescue at the site of a serious car accident.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
What could be done to prevent this in the future?? Perhaps the Forrest Service could set "Do not climb" condition statements, anyone embarking under those conditions would not be rescued. Same could be said for those who climb without filing a plan and renting finder transponder. The cost of rental is nothing compared to the cost of rescue. My patience is wearing thin.
I agree with you, but can you imagine how many people would be up in arms if some climbers who had ignored the climbing ban needed rescuing and the rescue teams did not go out and rescue them. There would be all sorts of claims of the inhumanity, moral responsibility, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
The only precaution these climbers did not take was to bring a locator or shovel along. The lead of the rescue mission said, in fact, that these climbers were well-prepared.
I contend these two statements are contradictory. Regardless of what other levels of preparation you have, if you don't bring a shovel and an MLB when climbing in the winter, you are in fact NOT well-prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
A locating beacon would have been the wise choice.

Please note these climbers were among the best of the best; the most experienced and able of those who do this kind of stuff. Expertise is no immunity from disaster and even the competent and confident can get into serious yoghurt really quick.

This is why anyone who chooses to do something so inherently dangerous as climbing alp-like mountains in winter should take all necessary precautions and then some. Locater beacons are not that expensive and can be rented for a pittance.

I hope this story concludes with a happy ending; that the two remaining climbers are rescued with no injuries other than to their dignity. But as with some of the other posters here, I'm not expecting it.
I hope so too, but they've been up there for 4 days now, and there has been no signs of movement even with loud helicopters hovering nearby. I think the chance of finding anyone alive at this point is pretty close to zero.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I really can't fathom why they wouldn't have a GPS beacon. Mt. Hood is deceptively deadly due to its accessibility and relatively short height - people assume that almost any route to the summit will be a breezy jaunt.

Mt. Hood has far more complex snow, weather, and avalanche conditions than many climbers anticipate, especially once they stray from the main routes.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
Expertise is no immunity from disaster and even the competent and confident can get into serious yoghurt really quick. This is why anyone who chooses to do something so inherently dangerous as climbing alp-like mountains in winter should take all necessary precautions and then some.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
I contend these two statements are contradictory. Regardless of what other levels of preparation you have, if you don't bring a shovel and an MLB when climbing in the winter, you are in fact NOT well-prepared.
EXPERTS in the field said otherwise. Although I do agree with you about carrying an MLU. But AGAIN, the head of the rescue effort is speaking before the families.

Is not the recommendation to carry either an MLU OR a cell phone? Their cell phone was activated within one half hour of beginning their ascent. These were/are not sloppy, inexperienced week-end climbers. AGAIN, no more so than calling Dale Earnhardt a local track racer. One small mistake is all it takes.

Why the distinction between spring or winter? Do snowstorms not happen during the spring? Remember May, 1986? A sudden snowstorm killed seven people - locators, shovels, snow caves and all.

Thank you to the volunteer rescuers who responded so quickly and with such dedication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon