Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 AM

54 posts, read 165,151 times

Advertisements

I notice on Craigslist many rentals have an application fee. I'm assuming this is for credit checks, background checks, et cetera. It makes sense but we're trying to figure out how soon we need to visit Oregon in time to find a place for February 1st. Should we be contacting folks now or waiting until after the holiday season? We're looking at flying out the weekend of the 10th to view a few places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Oh boy, be careful, Craigslist is ruined with scams. Do not ever mail off an application fee for an apartment or house for a background check especially if the ad is on Craigslist. Chances are they will pocket your money and you will never hear from them again. The person running the ad (scam) may not even have any open apartments. If you pay the fee and don't hear back you can always try to find out if you're going to get the apartment but your email may get bounced back or you will be told that it has been rented to another person. Don't fall for these scams unless you like giving money to thieves willingly. Hopefully you can deal with a reputable realtor or property manager or someone on this forum may help you out. I would start looking for a place now.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
What part of Oregon are you talking about? Do you only need a place to stay while visiting? Or do you need somewhere to live?

In regard to application fees, etc... Most places that require that are not just on craigslist: they also have their own website or at least a professional office where you can call & hear someone answer with the name of the business: hence you can avoid a scam.

When I was only visiting, I stayed at Best Western in a room with a microwave & tiny fridge...

If you want to find somewhere to live, then by all means start making contacts well ahead.... In Eugene, where I am, the housing market is very competitive & places get snatched up so quickly due to the college students...

Good luck, Kate

Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 AM

Well, dh's company is flying us in for a weekend and paying for the hotel stay. So all we have to do is fly with a newborn and find somewhere to live that will accept two adults, eight children, and one 100lb. German Shepherd. Piece of cake right? (Sigh.) We're looking south of Portland and north of Salem with (fairly) easy access to the I-5, but we'd LOVE to be rural and would be willing to drive for it. It seems that what is listed on Craigslist for something like that (4-5 bedrooms, acreage) is about $1500-$1700 which is within our price range, but it seems to me that most tenants give a 30 day notice, so they won't get notice until January 1st for February listings? We won't pay an app. fee without looking at the property first so thank you for the warning!

I contacted one person, but like he said, he's looking to get someone in immediately, not wait until February 1.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 PM

102 posts, read 337,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
Well, dh's company is flying us in for a weekend and paying for the hotel stay. So all we have to do is fly with a newborn and find somewhere to live that will accept two adults, eight children, and one 100lb. German Shepherd. Piece of cake right? (Sigh.) We're looking south of Portland and north of Salem with (fairly) easy access to the I-5, but we'd LOVE to be rural and would be willing to drive for it. It seems that what is listed on Craigslist for something like that (4-5 bedrooms, acreage) is about $1500-$1700 which is within our price range, but it seems to me that most tenants give a 30 day notice, so they won't get notice until January 1st for February listings? We won't pay an app. fee without looking at the property first so thank you for the warning!

I contacted one person, but like he said, he's looking to get someone in immediately, not wait until February 1.
8 children, you're my new hero!! Big families are fun!

I don't live in Oregon (I am planning to move there most likely as well though)- but I have heard that it is a lot easier to find places once you are there and are able to talk to people. You can also google "property management, portland, OR" and should be able to find a list of property management companies to work with....then you can call the management company, and find out if they can work with you, some of them will let you do the application fee and background check, and then you just pick up the listing when you are ready to move.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
If you can adjust a little I found some nice stuff in south Salem, and right along I-5 up in Washington. And this, which is in Damascus - east of Portland (although a bit out of your listed location and price range).

Horse Lovers House w/up to 9 stalls-RARE FIND! (http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/apa/1520191346.html - broken link)

And the other poster is correct, CL is full of disreputable scams. Do not send money. Your best bet is to hook up with a realtor, imo, not a management company. They may at least know of some good property managers.

Ask about Aurora, Canby, Woodburn....all have areas that have easy I-5 access.

Here's the link to Canby Herald. In the short term, you may find something there:

Canby Herald |

Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Thank you! No, we won't send $$ w/o looking at them IRL. Just trying to figure out how to tell the real thing from a scam and where the best place to look is... So contacting a realtor?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I would. Or try one of the small local papers, like the Canby Herald. It's still a small town, and it's much more likely someone at the paper may know someone who has a place for lease in the area.

Another thing if on CL, if they do not list a town or at least a street address, skip the ad. It's not worth it. Baloney on the application fee without even seeing a place. Money-grubbers!

If you look on Craigslist and see a management company posting time after time (like fifteen to twenty adverts. in a row), ignore them.

Silverfall
is our resident realtor on our Oregon board. She may at least know some reputable companies to deal with.

Where the heck is a realtor when you need one????

I'm pretty sure you would love Aurora or Canby....lots of farms, country, etc. and easy access to towns and I-5.

I'm sure you'll find some thing that's the best for your family. Best of luck to you...don't give up, your house is waiting for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon