Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 25,104 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My name is Chris and I have been reading some of the posts regarding moving to the Oregon coast. I must say I found them very informative. My husband and I currently live in Chilliwack, BC Canada and are looking into a move to Lincoln City Oregon. I am a US citizen who has lived in Canada since I was a child and my husband is Canadian. I lived in Canby, Oregon as a young child. My husband has had a job offer and we are considering a move in the fall. Since I have not lived in the US as an adult we really don't know a lot about anything there.

Some of the posts suggest that people from Oregon are not welcoming to "outsiders". Also some of the posts mentioned the greyness and rain lasting 10 to 12 months of the year. We live in an area the receives an abundant rainfall with our share of grey sky through the spring, fall and winter months. We don't mind the rain at all really, like it better than the snow for sure. I was just wondering if it is really as bad as some of the people say? Also are the people in Lincoln City that unfriendly?

Also what kind of advice would you give to people moving to the coast? We don't have young children but we do have my mom who is 79 who would visit with us for a portion of the year. We also have an old cocker spaniel. We would more than likely look for rental accomodation untl we decide on the area of town that we would like to live in, any suggestions about that?

Thanks in advance for any input about Lincoln city or moving to the coast or living in the US in general that any of you might offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,044,672 times
Hi Canuckgirl.
I live a little further down the coast from Lincoln City. But thats one of my favorite areas!!! Some beautiful beaches and fun stuff to do there!! I know theres a thread or two on it somewhere on the board....
anyhow, ya, it does rain here. And along the coast, it will rain more often than it does in the valley. And much more than it does, in oh, say, Las Vegas Nevada. And in the winter, it does rain more often than not. You'll rarely see snow, which in its own, is a shame because to see snow covered beaches w/the waves crashing upon them is a magical sight you wont ever forget. But theres plenty of nice days too. The water wont ever be like it is in Mexico, but you wont see any iceburgs in it either. Summertime in that area can be beautiful. And crowded. Theres lots of activities, such as KiteFests, the Glassfloat search, seafood and wine festivals, parades, etc.
Ive always found the people there quite friendly. Ive gone there each spring for an annual gymnastics meet, and have never once had an issue w/someone being rude or unkind. Even when I made mention of wanting to move there. I got those who were offering on the spot to show me 'my cousins wifes bestfriends neighbors house is up for rent" or those who painstakingly wrote out directions (with pictures cuz I need em lol) to their fav. resturant or hidden cove beach area. I have some friends who recently moved there (due to coast guard) and they love it. Even their 13yr old daughter loves it there. She called me recently and was going on and on about how great her new friends and teacher are at her new school, how their new neighbor set up a meeting date between her and her granddaughter who is the same age. No matter where you go, you will find those who are determinded to be rude, to only find the negative in their surroundings and/or lives. Just try to avoid em. Theres plenty of wonderful people in Lincoln City.
BTW, theres way more "outsiders" living in Oregon now than there are those who were born here. I was born here, but one of my best friends is from Southern California, another is from Seattle. Thats really not something Id worry about. Unless youre planning on moving here, then complaining about how much you hate it and how wonderful your previous home was.
Theres definatly the "Gloom and Doom" crowd that seem to enjoy exaggerating and saying you wont see sun for 11mnths out of the year. Theyre the same people that if they move to Az. will complain and tell everyone that its so hot and dry there that they havent had rain or a single cloud for the last 17yrs. And that green is not on their color chart. lol anyhow, point is, there are people who complain about everything. And they enjoy sharing that. Look up different websites for Lincoln City and Lincoln County. many will tell you the annual rainfall, temps, etc. Yup, it rains here, more than it does in Arizona. But you'll find lots and lots of days go by w/o a single drop.
Best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Thanks Tiffany!

I'm so glad you wrote some positive things about Licoln City! I always thought it was a beautiful area and have loved it every time I've been down there. you are definately right about negative people they are everywhere! I'm looking forward to going down to check out my hubby's job in July and have a family vacation too! Thanks again for writing!

Chris

Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,458 times
I think you'll enjoy it there canuckgirl. July has nice weather on the coast. I have been to Lincoln city a few times. When I lived inland I used to come to the coast to go on vacations and I always enjoyed it.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:36 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I think you'll enjoy it there canuckgirl. July has nice weather on the coast. I have been to Lincoln city a few times. When I lived inland I used to come to the coast to go on vacations and I always enjoyed it.
I tell you, Lincoln City Is an absolute gem. So nice that my wife and I are flying all the way from texas just to celebrate our anniversary. We used to live in Western Washington. Stay at Lincoln Sands Hotel, and eat at Spanish Heads Restaurant. Walk on the beach, tour the cute town. Just Awesome.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Talking Now I'm really excited about going!

Thanks for the positive comments. I thought Lincoln City is a great destination because of all the different things to do there. We will have seven of us aged 20 to 79 and I thought we could each find something there that appeals to us. We are renting a vacation home but we'll definately try the restaurant!

My husband will be talking to the employer that is interested in hiring him later today so I am hoping that all will go well. When he spoke to him the first time he said he would fill out the green card paperwork and it might take up to 100 days but probably less. He said that he has been advertising for someone for a very long time so he should have no problem getting it approved.

Can anyone tell me what you have to do to open a bank account in the US? I don't even know what kind of banks there are in Oregon. Does anyone know anything about the differences if there are any ?How about getting a mortgage, is that very difficult? My husband said the thing he wants to learn is about the laws and how the government works there...lots for us both to learn! I've been reading a lot on the internet. too bad there isn't a "Dummies Guide to the US" lol.

Have a great day all!
Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon