Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:35 PM

176 posts, read 631,950 times

Advertisements

I thought the dope you were allowed to grow was absolute ****? Really low THC?

I don't know much about it because I'm not a druggie, but that's what I'd heard. Maybe they allow you to pick your seeds here? But that seems a bit unlikely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess when I visit there I have to go in May to see if my allergies are affected.

Norm
My allergies drove me wild the entire 3.5 years I lived outside of Grants Pass. They were the worst ever, and lasted nearly year round.

On the whole the air quality is good in Grants Pass but as stated by other posters, there is an inversion at times. There is a good deal of pollen in the air from various plant life and agriculture in the area.

Medford definately has a smog problem but it seems they don't wish to recognize it as such.

As far as pot growers, they're all over the mountains in the area. If that is why you want to move there though, you might want to rethink it because it's getting tougher and tougher to get away with it.

A few years ago in November I think it was, or maybe December, we had snow on the mountaintops, I had cabin fever, so I decided to take a drive to see how far up the mountains I could go before I hit the snow level.

I drove up Cantrell Road in the Applegate Valley (one of my favorite drives because at the top is a spectacular view). I was about half way up (it's a 5 mile drive to the top) or slightly more when I couldn't go any farther. It was snowing and I stopped to marvel at the beauty.

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by several men dressed in heavy jackets with hoods. Some of them were carrying rifles. I sat there dumbfounded for a moment thinking what the heck?? I could see they were Hispanic so I rolled down my window slightly and said, "hola, como estas?" No one said a word for what seemed like an eternity.....then finally one said back up!

Luckily for me there was a road a short ways behind me so I was able to back up, but it scared the hell out of me!

As soon as I got back to the bottom, I called 911. I was told they knew the "cartel" were south closer to Medford, but didn't realize they were that far north.

Long story short, the following spring there was a HUGE bust in that exact area, with at least one tractor trailer load of pot.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM

158 posts, read 517,131 times
I thought this post was about air quality in Grants Pass, Oregon? I recently went to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed looking up the air quality in various towns. the address is: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Reading that site, I was impressed with the overall quality of the air in Grants Pass. It is 8.0 out of 10.
as I scrolled down, next in line was CO2 and its numbers were: 2.5 out of 10. 10 being great, 2.5 is not
great, it's just breathable. The rest of the pollutants were all in the 9's out of 10. Really good. But the
CO2 or carbon monoxide is next to barely breathable. Kind of like being inside one of Hitlers internment
camps and they turn the gas on. My suggestion is stop burning fossil fuels. Otherwise, die in your own contentment. Slowink

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:43 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Symptoms of carbonmonoxide poisoning are: Dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting,
chest pain, confusion, irritability, impaired judgement, and loss of consiousness.

The following produce carbon monoxide: Fuel burning space heaters, furnaces, charcoal grills, cooking ranges, water heaters, fireplaces, portable generators, wood burning stoves, and automotive engines.

Depending on degree and length of exposure CO2 exposure can cause: Permanent brain damage, damage to your heart and complications leading to life threatening cardiac complications years later,
after the poisoning.

I suggest you look into this problem and take a proactive stanse against it. You live in a beautiful
area and it is a shame that this is becoming its focal point.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:53 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I suggest you use a more reliable site before you make conclusions. That's a short term figure, the result of temporary air inversions in the winter. Go to the Oregon DEQ website and look up the actual measurements and monthly figures.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Downtown Web Cam

It's sunny & clear here on the mountain.

Looks foggy along the 'Rogue River' cam.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 PM

The information I found at the Oregon DEQ, was not specific. I tried to find specific information it was
put in a general color code format. The current GP numbers were 71, Moderate is rated between 51 and
91. GP has a CO2 of between 4.5 and 9.4 PPM in the past 8 hours. No specifics were available. Where
this 4.5 through 9.4 lies in a one through 10 scale is not available. Where the most acceptable and the
least acceptable lines are drawn is not available. Using Homefacts gave me a graph to work from. I am
concerned because, if things work the way I plan, I may be making a move to this area. I want people
to understand if there is a problem, be aware. If you realize you have a problem, you can fix it. If you
have a problem and deny it, you have a bigger problem. I'm just trying to clear up the haze.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I suggest you use a more reliable site before you make conclusions. That's a short term figure, the result of temporary air inversions in the winter. Go to the Oregon DEQ website and look up the actual measurements and monthly figures.
I agree. It's just smoke from fireplaces and woodstoves getting trapped temporarily in the valley.

GP has wonderful air quality 99% of the year. There are asthmathics in my family down there and they rarely need their inhalers.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Thank you both for your input, it relieves me to know it's temporary. Slowink

Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
Default Smog smog and more smog

I visit Medford frequently (about every 8 weeks) because my best friends live there---I have been there in all seasons, temperature ranges, weather conditions and never once have I observed a day that smog was not visible. Often, it is what I would consider severe. I have mentioned it many times but the residents seem not to notice or care. There are lots of gorgeous green hills, but they are difficult to see due to the haze that constantly surrounds this area. I am always confounded that Oregon does not require smogging vehicles and yet has some of the dirtiest air I have seen---and I am from Southern California! I did read somewhere that this area rarely gets wind, so maybe that is why pollution settles here. I've considered moving here to be near my friends but the smog really makes me nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon