Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 16,822 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some opinions of Sandy. I really want to hear from anyone who lives there or has lived there but if you have visited I would appreciate your opinion as well. I currently live in Albany and want to relocate to somewhere else in Oregon and I am considering Sandy. I prefer a small town feel but not being to far away from bigger stores, zoos and other fun activities. I have two young children so safety and family friendly is important to me.

Some of the things I want to know about are:

Costs of houses
traffic
weather
schools
safety
is there flooding, land slides, high winds etc.
family activities (boys and girls clubs, library activities, playgrounds, etc.)
is there a drug problem?
places to eat
and what ever else you can tell me about Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM

182 posts, read 475,934 times
Ok well. I graduated from Sandy and lived there for 10 years. I have also lived in Albany.

Sandy is a good town to live in if it fits you right. Obviously its vicinity to MT Hood leaves makes it a good place to winter activities or lots of the hiking available in summer.

There aren't a lot of parks in Sandy the main one in Meining Park which is just a split off to the left of hwy 211 heading towards Estacada.

Its location has lead to a fairly steep rise in the costs of housing because of higher wage earners in Portland and Gresham wanting to move out away from the bigger cities and not bothered by a small extension to the commute.

Sandy isn't prone to any extra then normal winds like the Gorge or Corbett is. It is 967 feet in Elevation and so when you hear low snow levels its likely to snow there and don't expect to have schools late there for a little snow. The school system is use to it while down in the lower Portland areas they will close at a 1/4" of snow. There is a blessing to Sandy with the weather as during cold spells often causing freezing rain.. an inversion takes place. The inversion often keeps sandy from getting the freezing rain like the lower areas in Gresham and west.

Sandy Mountain Festival is the big even that goes on there during the summer, a simple Parade the citizens line the sidewalks for it. There are the typical rides and stuff.

Sandy has a pretty good library for the size of it. I haven't been in it or paid attention to the library for 7 years so it may have changed some but not likely.

Flooding isn't an issue unless you live by a river bank. Which those are all down hill from there about 500 feet as can be seen at Jonsrud View Point off of Bluff RD.
I only saw one landslide in the region and that was in Eagle Creek to the south. But not IN sandy.

Drugs aren't a major problem. They exist and travel through but its not a major issue in the town. There are the drunks occasionally as in all town have those.

But Sandy is a giant SPEED TRAP, you must watch your speed in the split on Proctor and Pioneer. Also coming into town from the east it drops to a 45 mph quite a distance out of town near Langansand RD and they will be seeing if you change, so your going 60 which is ok to get away with in a 55 but not at all in a 45 they have you. So must be watching and paying attention to speed. They will pull you over and say you were speeding just to pull you over and if you don't know your speed then they will get you on it. I knew I wasn't speeding many times and they tried it, then when I asked how fast, they just said they're giving me a warning. So no proof was given.

I know its for the safety of the hwy 26 running through town but it gets annoying being targeted like that in your own town.

Dining, well there use to be a Denny's but its now Dos Margaritas and when they opened they couldn't serve Margaritas (No OLCC), Several Pizza places in town Sparky's, Wall Street, Figaros, Paolas (I miss JoJo's). Clamity Janes out east of town on the north side of HWY 26th has pretty good burgers. Wong King was good chineese if its still there.

It caters to those driving the hwy and that gives you plenty of benefit in town.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM

37 posts, read 167,422 times
I am also considering liviing near Sandy as I would love to go hiking in Mt Hood forest a couple days a wee. Sandy is about 45 min frmo downtown Portland , I think , right?

When is best time to find a rental house in Sandy? Doesn't seem to be anything available now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon