Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:41 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,804,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondage View Post
So tell me honestly then, whats the worst part about coupons from a cashiers point of view?
Ill be honest, it makes me nervous to get a new cashier when I'm using coupons because I never know how theyre going to respond. Some are major cool about it, almost to the point of just manually entering the amount even if the coupon beeps. Others take their job verrrry seriously and scrutinize every single detail and then some, to the point of being rude.
And here's a question Ive been dying to ask a cashier....more than once they've said, about accepting the wrong coupon, "I could lose my job over this." Isn't a cashiers job a bit more secure than that?...to lose it over 1 wrong coupon?
I always try to scope out the ones Ive never had a problem with because my intentions are never to make someones work day harder by what I do. Just trying to save the family some money.
TIA!
They could, in fact, lose their job over it since our transactions are recorded under our employee number. They warn us in training (and have us sign that we understand) that failure to follow the coupon guidelines can "result in disciplinary action up to and including termination". If the item you're buying doesn't match the coupon exactly then the store will not be reimbursed for the coupon by the manufacturer and so we, the cashiers, are effectively responsible for allowing money to walk out the door if we accept a non-matching coupon. Ethically, it's permitting someone to steal from the company, basically. And also many stores hire a LOT of cashiers and give them next to no hours (one of the reasons why I had to move back home from Portland the first time), so if there isn't enough business they can just lop one off the payroll and maybe one who accepts too many non-matching coupons could be a good candidate to let go.

The longer you work as a cashier the less you care though, I think. I have never been written up for accepting a coupon that I'm not supposed to. I really get fed up with people's attitudes when I tell them the product they have doesn't match the coupon, so sometimes I'll just let it slide. You never know if they're going to be a complete jerk about it and make you call someone to get them the right product and hold up the line and make a scene. It's so stressful sometimes. My managers are a little lax at my new store though, so I just don't even worry about it that much anymore personally, particularly when it's less than $1.00 off. To me, 55¢ isn't worth letting someone potentially treat me poorly, and if someone is going to make a scene over 55¢ then they probably need that 55¢ a lot more than Safeway or Kroger or Albertson's. But maybe they don't need that product at all... I am terrible. I judge people on what they buy. If they have a bunch of coupons for things they don't need (like Febreeze, air fresheners, etc), then I don't feel bad denying them when a coupon doesn't match.

Basically, if you read the fine print and get the right products so that everything goes smoothly then it's not that big of a deal. And be totally certain that it's not expired, and the size, quantity, and variety are the correct ones specified, and don't argue a coupon not being accepted unless you're absolutely sure that all of those things are matching. Store coupons, on the other hand, are usually easy-peasy no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondage View Post
Not so much here on the East side of the state though. I used to do the u-pick gardens all the time when I lived on the West side. Around here we do get cherries and peaches and some asparagus, but I think the closest place is Walla Walla, and thats a few hours from me.
I usually wait till August and do the Fruit Loop. There Ill do peaches, tomatoes, pears, cherries, onions, blueberries, peppers, apples, and a ton more. Last year I picked huge ripe peaches for 20 cents a lb!
Cant wait for this year.

True. You guys are dryer out there so there are probably less u-picks.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,862,562 times
They are probably using the same scrutiny that their bosses give their cash drawer at the end of the day. Making "mistakes" can be very unpleasant. I've never worked in a grocery store, though, but I can just imagine.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 29,751 times
Thanks for the reply backdrifter. I suppose the bottom line is that coupons are just as much of a pain to cashiers as they are to couponers!
As for folks buying things they dont need, I would bet many cashiers have thought the same thing about me. But when I buy a dozen of any one product, I usually put 2 on my shelf at home, take 2 to a friend of mine with a very large family, and drop the rest off at our local church and food basket office. I also take the smaller travel size items or more important things like Diabetes monitors and drop them off for care packages to the soldiers overseas. I would hardly be able to donate half the things I do if it werent for coupons though.
But thanks again for the reply. It helps to understand the other sides perspective on all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon