Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM

466 posts, read 1,057,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
I'd have to pitch in for Garibaldi, Bay City, Netarts, and Tillamook, with perhaps a shout towards Hebo.

All of these places have long-term (as opposed to vacation) rentals at decent levels, and it's only 90 minutes into PDX (along Hwy 6).

If you don't mind stretching the drive to two hours, you can lump in Nehalem, Pacific City, and Beaver.

Water and power rates are comparable (and often better) than what PGE and such charge, and the lack of Comcast has forced me to discover that I can do a whole lot better (Dish @ $55/mo for 2x the channels, and CenturyLink for 1/2 of what Comcast charges but at better transfer speeds with little-to-no latency, etc.)

The downsides? Besides the drive into PDX, shopping anywhere will take at least a 20-30 minute drive into Tillamook (though Garibaldi does have The Food Basket, which is one of the best little grocers that I've ever shopped at). It is also harder at times to find specialized services (e.g. local movers, etc), and goods (certain appliances, etc).

Overall though, it is a lot easier on the bills so far, IMHO.
Water/sewer can be a lot more expensive than PDX. We lived in Portland and our water/sewer/trash bill was $168.00 every 3 months, we lived in Rockaway Beach and our water and sewer bill was $165.00 every 2 months. And not because we used a lot of water, the lowest price for sewer was 101 dollar every 2 months. Small community with more vacation rentals than all year round rentals and home owners - that's what the lady at city hall told me. So, living at the coast isn't much cheaper. If you find a cheap rental, you have to realize grocery, gas (for cars) etc. are generally higher at the coast, because of less competition. CenturyLink for TV you don't get everywhere either, so you are stuck with Directv, and with heavy rain/thunderstorms and storms in general at the coast, the reception can be flawed quite a bit. Winter storms are normal at the coast.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,452,750 times
Yes indeed, and nice people too.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,561,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Water/sewer can be a lot more expensive than PDX. We lived in Portland and our water/sewer/trash bill was $168.00 every 3 months, we lived in Rockaway Beach and our water and sewer bill was $165.00 every 2 months. And not because we used a lot of water, the lowest price for sewer was 101 dollar every 2 months. Small community with more vacation rentals than all year round rentals and home owners - that's what the lady at city hall told me. So, living at the coast isn't much cheaper. If you find a cheap rental, you have to realize grocery, gas (for cars) etc. are generally higher at the coast, because of less competition. CenturyLink for TV you don't get everywhere either, so you are stuck with Directv, and with heavy rain/thunderstorms and storms in general at the coast, the reception can be flawed quite a bit. Winter storms are normal at the coast.
I can tell from this that you haven't lived in Portland for a long time. People wouldn't float a $2 billion bond issue, so the bill for the poop tubes is coming out of the water and sewer bill.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I can tell from this that you haven't lived in Portland for a long time. People wouldn't float a $2 billion bond issue, so the bill for the poop tubes is coming out of the water and sewer bill.
The Piper (poop-er?) must be paid!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
My family is looking at moving to Oregon and the information about the cost of water is helpful. After paying the bills in St. Petersburg FL the cost in Oregon are a steal. I pay between $127.00 and $180.00 each month for water. I'm still looking into the cost of auto and home insurance for Oregon.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Water and sewer costs are very much a local issue. The numbers you are seeing are for the City of Portland where they combine water and sewer but Portland provides water to areas without sewer service, for example. I believe that the City of Portland's water/sewer rates are higher than other areas in Portland metro but you need to verify that.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 7,686 times
Default moving to portand in april

so I am doing a cross country road trip and moving out to portland in April 2013. I am now looking for cheap areas in or around the city to live. Im not sure exactly where to look? Was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap areas to live?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon24 View Post
so I am doing a cross country road trip and moving out to portland in April 2013. I am now looking for cheap areas in or around the city to live. Im not sure exactly where to look? Was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap areas to live?

a. What is cheap for you? Cheap is relative. It will be easier to answer this question if you can tell us what you want to spend.

b. You might want to ask this question in the Portland forum if you are thinking about moving in or around Portland where the information will be more specific.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 23,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hey Mystic,

To be honest, this post reeks of snobbery. Now Bend is a ski bum town in general, so like SoCal is not a place where folks typically hang around in cafes doing poetry slams. But there are plenty of very smart and sophisticated people there. Probably just takes the right way to find them.

Capping on Pendleton and E. Oregon like that is just not cool. I have lived in small towns of the West and in big cities of the US and Europe and never had a hard time finding coffee and good conversation. Interesting, sophisticated people are everywhere. And even some of the cowboys of NE Oregon are damn impressive. I suspect your elite attitude is one of the variables in your unhappiness. Your dismission of that beautiful part of the world show exceptional ignorance. Parts of NE Oregon are among the most beautiful in America.

I think people want to be helpful here, but not to have areas they love trashed by the ignorant.

Where are you from that you can judge other places with such authority and condescension?
I felt the same way when I read this. This persons post was stuck up, it upset me. I hail from the Ontario, Oregon area and this person doesn't know what they're talking about. The people there are the nicest people I have ever met and the surrounding area's are too, including the Idaho area. Now that I've moved to Corvallis, it was the opposite. I'm now in Philomath and people are much nicer here, but it's only six miles away!

In Pendleton, a person can talk small talk with people in town while waiting in line at the grocery store. On the other hand, living here in Corvallis and Philomath; the other day, I tried talking to someone in line and the guy stuck his nose up in the air, and gruffly said "hmph, I don't know you, why are you talking to ME?". I offered some of our Easter Dinner to a guy next door and do you know what he said to me? "What? I don't even know you! No I don't want your food and then threw it away". Honestly. This is common here. I've actually gotten similar things like this many times, I've even had people mock my children multiple times too. I had one older lady complain at Rite Aid that I had too many children and need to stop. The common thing implied or said that I hear the most? The word "sophistication", this is the word that I know associate with stuck-up people of Western Oregon. This guy's post.....man.

This post has a lot of unclear thoughts, it's badly typed, sorry for this. I'm not gonna dwell on it too much, hopefully it makes enough sense and people can connect the dots, I don't have much time to go over it tonight.

Last edited by JeffreyRynearson; 04-20-2014 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: Unclear thoughts

Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM

726 posts, read 1,349,974 times
When a place is really "cheap," there is usually a reason. For example, I remember people use to talk about how "cheap" Toledo Oregon was and "only 5 miles to the coast (Newport). However, the reason it was so cheap was the huge Georgia Pacific paper mill pumping out toxins night and day, some of which reeked!

There's also a difference in what's "cheap" if you are renting versus buying. For example, in Oregon, you can certainly find cheaper rentals in the Portland Metro area than on the coast. However, the opposite would be true if you were buying a house, assuming you weren't going for an ocean view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon