Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,325 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have never been to Oregon, but people keep telling me it might be the place for me.

Can someone tell me if this dream location exists?

I am looking to rent a house, around 1200-1400 per month. I want a home that is secluded and surrounded by nature, but I want to live within 20 minutes of a town with a real grocery store and restaurants. I also want to have reliable cell service and High speed internet in my home. (Feel free to answer this paragraph independent of the next few)

I will need to travel to LA and Nashville occasionally for work, so I'd like to be within an hour or so of an airport.

I'd like to live by a fun laid back town/city. Somewhere that feels ski town like. Somewhere with liberal people, but not people who are overly "hip" (basically I don't want to see a lot of "NOBAMA" bumper stickers, but I don't want to hear people talking about how The Beatles were too comercial either.)

Finally, I've heard Portland is a good music town, and I need a good music town, but good as in "There are a lot of great venues looking for good musicians" and not as in "You can hear good music anywhere for cheap because there's such an overabundance of musicians here that they all have to work for free."

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 08:32 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Humm, housing wise you could find that around Scappoose or St. Helens, perhaps around Camas in Washington.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
The airport requirement alone puts you in the Portland metro area - or at least the northern Willamette Valley, unless you are okay with a smaller regional airport that connects to San Francisco, Portland or Seattle for a two-stop flight.

High speed internet (through multiple providers) tends to be a sure thing in cities/towns, but as you go out into more rural areas it can be hit or miss. Most of Oregon has DSL available through the phone provider, but that DSL can be from barely-above-dial-up-speeds to 7-10 Mbps, depending on infrastructure. There are also line-of-sight wireless and satellite providers.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:38 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
My understanding of the Portland music market is that most local performers do work for cheap until the make it big enough to book the bigger name clubs because of relative oversupply. For example, in the jazz world Jimmy Mak's reputedly is the best paying club, but even though they run 6 nights a week they're already booked out to December.

As others have implied, most housing (particularly anything you'll get for 1200-1400) won't be secluded. There's nature everywhere, but lots generally run small for various reasons (the UGB being the most commonly cited). And Portland is the only airport in the state that's even potentially going to give you direct flights, particularly to Nashville.

In theory an hour would allow you to go as far out as Hood River (where you'd potentially get more secluded), though gorge driving can be dicey in the winter and I have no idea what the local music scene is there.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logank1983 View Post
Finally, I've heard Portland is a good music town, and I need a good music town, but good as in "There are a lot of great venues looking for good musicians" and not as in "You can hear good music anywhere for cheap because there's such an overabundance of musicians here that they all have to work for free."
Since this is still in the general Oregon thread - unfortunately this describes the music scene in the Medford/Ashland area. The wineries and the clubs (for the most part) don't charge a cover and they have no drink minimums, which means that bands either don't get paid at all, get "comped" in food and drink or get paid under $100 for the entire band for a 3-4 hour set. Which is also why there are so many musicians in 3-5 bands. Bands play the clubs and wineries for recognition, but it is private functions and parties that pay the bills.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Just go to Sandy, OR and call it good.

Done deal...

Welches if you need more snow.

Troutdale if you need closer to town. (and Mt Hood Jazz Fest)

Old 09-12-2014, 11:38 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Since this is still in the general Oregon thread - unfortunately this describes the music scene in the Medford/Ashland area. The wineries and the clubs (for the most part) don't charge a cover and they have no drink minimums, which means that bands either don't get paid at all, get "comped" in food and drink or get paid under $100 for the entire band for a 3-4 hour set. Which is also why there are so many musicians in 3-5 bands. Bands play the clubs and wineries for recognition, but it is private functions and parties that pay the bills.
FWIW, Eugene is the same. The money for local musicians is generally in weddings and private lessons, not shows.

I didn't mention it mostly because Pdx is probably the only airport in the state worth considering for OP's travel needs. You can get to Nashville from Eugene/Medford but they'll require a stopover in SFO/Pdx/DIA/SLC to do it.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Actually I don't think Oregon is a dream location for anyone. Sometimes when you get the itch to move, it's better to take a long vacation, and end up staying where you are.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
I am looking to rent a house, around 1200-1400 per month. I want a home that is secluded and surrounded by nature, but I want to live within 20 minutes of a town with a real grocery store and restaurants.
Not Oregon within 1 hour of airport.

Quote:
I'd like to live by a fun laid back town/city. Somewhere that feels ski town like.
None only 1 hour from Airport you need.

Quote:
As others have told you, this is not Oregon, especially within 1 hour of the airport you need. Portland is not a real music town, with great clubs with live music. Very few fit this category. They don't have to pay well, as there is an oversupply of people that work for free or next to nothing. It is more a disk jockey town.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Not for that price and located that near an airport. Not many people can make any money (not even pocket change) with their music. Lots of starving artists in this state.

Mostly, you are not describing Oregon. have you looked at Nashville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon