Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 AM

19 posts, read 91,528 times

Advertisements

I'm talking short sleeves and bare feet weather. Here in Iowa, march is usually a random mix of semi warm (40's) to cold(10's-30's), and April warms up slightly, but May is shorts and barefoot weather (60-70's and up). weather [dot] com only gives the extreme temps, and I think it better to hear firsthand from an Oregoneer what I can expect for early April.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
short sleeves and bare feet...probably in June (in the valley)

Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_iowa_hippie View Post
I'm talking short sleeves and bare feet weather. Here in Iowa, march is usually a random mix of semi warm (40's) to cold(10's-30's), and April warms up slightly, but May is shorts and barefoot weather (60-70's and up). weather [dot] com only gives the extreme temps, and I think it better to hear firsthand from an Oregoneer what I can expect for early April.

Thanks
No, we generally have wet and cold springtime weather with some good weather mixed in. It can be frustrating because there can be some summer like weather during the week but then the weekend comes and it gets get cold and wet.

These conditions generally last right up until the Rose festival ends. (mid June).

The one thing you can expect in Spring is the unexpected. Summer really doesn't take hold and become consistent until late June through early Oct.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Dunno about Iowa, but there is a huge climate variation across Oregon. Check the weather and the averages for Portland (representative of the Willamette Valley), Newport (the coast), Medford (Rogue Valley), Bend (Central Oregon), Pendleton (Eastern Oregon).

But, in general, there isn't much of Oregon in which March and April are shorts are bare feet weather - unless you are a pretty hardy soul. I see people here, on sunny days, wearing shorts and sandals (and a jacket, usually) when it's in the 30s and 40s, just because the high altitude sun feels warm. Likewise, I knew people in Portland who were only out of shorts and sandals and into pants and boots when it was snowing.

Where I live (35 miles north of Klamath Falls), it's generally into the 50s and 60s during the day by about April. We actually had 3 days when it was in the 80s last April, although that's pretty rare. Of course, the nights are still down in the 20s and low 30s

Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
There's an old joke here in Oregon that summer starts on the 5th of July.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM

151 posts, read 326,145 times
I would have to agree with the 5th of July, definitely!
Actually here in Central Oregon it is June, but WOW do we have a beauty of a September...the tourists are gone home, and they don't even know they are missing the BEST season of the year!
Now, my hubby will don his shorts in Feb, and his sandals in March nearly every year! And then the snow boots come back out in April after the studs have come off the cars & the snow flies one more time...and then he goes skiing!
Gotta love it......but it is better than 40 below zero & howling winds like I remember from living in the flat lands in South Dakota! I'm thinking Iowa was similar, so be patient, my friend-it'll get here!
It has been very nice here in Central Oregon, come over & get a little sunshine, if you're close enough, but you probably still need your shoes.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
> I'm talking short sleeves and bare feet weather.

On the Oregon coast? Don't count on it at any time of year. Even in August, I'd suggest bringing a sweater and some wool socks.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 03-05-2010 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Bring a sweater and some wool socks.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
OP, you might want to check out the Todays Oregon Weather thread. people post what the weather is like where they are at each day. theres several months of variety on there from different areas around oregon

And Im not sure what part of the Oregon Coast Boodhabunny is living at, but Ive been here in Coos Bay for going on 8yrs now, and we have many many days of shortsleeves and barefeet. Enough we invested in a pool. So where our weather can be unpredictable, we definatly do have summerweather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon