Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Is The Safest Small Town In Oregon (Alphabetical Selected Cities Below)
Ashland 1 6.25%
Bend 3 18.75%
Corvallis 5 31.25%
Eugene 2 12.50%
Grants Pass 0 0%
Klamath Falls 0 0%
La Grande 2 12.50%
Medford 0 0%
Salem 0 0%
Other (Please Specify In Your Reply) 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,688 times

Advertisements

My dream community is a town of 100,000 persons or less, with a highly educated community engaged in public service. However, I don't know if I will live in Oregon, because of the recession and crime. I don't want any crime, period. If that means I live as a hermit, then I will. Absolutely no meth, and no assaults. No hypodermic needles, etc. in the parks. A place where you can walk outside, and look at the stars at night. A place where women can walk after dinner in the dark, and not get assaulted. I grew up in a metro that's now 5 million, and am tired of that. In my former hometown of Seattle, the recession has made all the University of Washington area unsafe, as students get knocked off their bikes at night and robbed. I've lived in Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Vegas, and all places were full of meth, and not safe to bike around at night. I'm tired of all this and am an outdoors person in search of solitude.

Now I read that there's been a stabbing at the Suncrest rest area in Talent. And, I drove through every town in western Oregon witnessing meth and tweakers just about everywhere, although it was not as bad in Ashland and Corvallis. I don't care about marijuana, however, it can be associated with meth.

Do you feel safe in your city? What's the safest place in Oregon? Ashland? Bend? Corvallis? The problem is, the higher the education level, the more liberal, and the less safe. Any suggestions? I hope this poll will help people writing City-Data Oregon, and asking about crime in this recession.

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-10-2010 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Additional commentary. Commas.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
............. I don't want any crime, period. If that means I live as a hermit, then I will. Absolutely no meth, and no assaults. No hypodermic needles, etc. in the parks. A place where you can walk outside, and look at the stars at night. A place where women can walk after dinner in the dark, and not get assaulted. ..............................

What's the safest place in Oregon?
I know the answer to your question but I won’t tell you because I’m afraid you might move here.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
The problem is, the higher the education level, the more liberal, and the less safe.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Most areas that are crime ridden have lower education levels and tend to be conservative.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,848 times
Individual concerns, anecdotal information or opinion polls do not provide useful information. Crime statistics are readily available. The City Data profiles are a convenient source of information. Crime stats show that Ashland ranks well below the national average, Medford a little below and Portland is above.

If you want an area with absolutely no crime, it does not exist. Trying to protect yourself by living as a hermit in the middle of nowhere may not be an safer.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
What you are looking for doesn't exist. No city of 100,000 is going to be crime free. I know Salem police department has their crime stats online with locations of crimes. Why not just call the local PD's for those cities and use that for your comparison.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
I've never really felt unsafe anywhere in Oregon, including the North Portland neighborhood I've lived in the past four years...Except for the threat of theft(which is easy to prevent if your careful for the most part), I've never walked through a neighborhood in Oregon that I felt I was at risk of being robbed or assaulted. I've had stuff stolen, car break-ins, got my locker broken into at a 24-hour Fitness in Portland--but I'm not losing any sleep about minor theft.

When I lived in Ashland back in the early part of the last decade, people wouldn't even lock their doors at home. Being in college at the time, the only threat I ever felt was from the over-zealous and bored police force cracking down on underage students for MIP tickets for "suspicion of being drunk" or minor traffic violations(no where else I've lived did the local cops have time to ticket drivers for "illegal lane changes"--ie, not using a turn signal for a lane change). Not say that Ashland is a crime free paradise, there is a high rate of bike theft there, but as far as places I've lived in, it's by far the safest feeling town I've resided in.

As far as a place with absolutely no crime in Oregon...as others have pointed out--that place doesn't exist. Some of the Portland suburbs like West Linn feel extremely safe, however even there you'll see the occasional minor property crime.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,136 times
Safe from what?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
I am going to go with La Grande. But I don't know if they have some meth out that way. Everywhere else does. I have lived in both Corvallis and Ashland, and both are pretty safe, but there was an assault in Ashland a couple month ago that shook people up. Corvallis might be even better. Too wealthy and educated for a big meth scene, and all the engineers, scientists, etc. are too boring to get into trouble. Sheesh, now I cannot decide on La Grande or Corvallis. Baker City is also a nice E. Oregon town, that I suspect would be pretty darn safe, but perhaps too small and unsophisticated for you. A lovely spot that is refreshingly unhyped.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,546 times
There is meth in Corvallis. Drug bust snares more suspects

There is meth everywhere in the rural west.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 22,808 times
move to irvine california if you want safe. Another would be murrieta,ca. Potential for crime anywhere. Atleast in oregon you can carry a gun with a permit and take matters into your hands if problems arise. I never felt unsafe anywhere in oregon. If you want to feel safe go visit detroit. Then oregon will feel like disneyland in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon