Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 38,049 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the specific details!!
Good to hear from different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 AM

1,229 posts, read 858,809 times
Default Answers - Good and the bad Coos County

Let me preface this by saying that I have spent the last 16 years in Coos County as a Bay Area--Cali-- transplant---and have lived in both Coquille and Coos Bay an equal amount of the time. I have also owned two very successful businesses while here and I will give you a unbiased opinion from a conjoined outsider/insider view point.

1.Is it hard to get a job at the Bay Area Hospital (in a support dept.--not a doctor or nurse)?

Answer : I eat in the hospital's cafeteria about twice a week and have two friends who work as RN's at the hospital....and every person I've come in contact with who was qualified and wanted a job there always eventually got one.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the hospital will undergo a pretty significant expansion starting next summer.

2. Is Coquille riddled with violent crime or religious cults?

Answer :NO NO and NO. However....If you spend enough time in Coquille, there are quite a few churches for a population base of about 4200. There is a small church clique that pervades a few of the local eateries on certain days after church functions.

Coquille has a very quaint, quiet ''Mayberry'' feel to it....where the streets roll up by 7:30 at night and where many folks leave their doors and windows unlocked and keys in the ignition.

It had a rare spate of bad publicity about year ago due to a string of robberies and a misguided shooting, but this isn't close to the true demeanor of the town. Trust me...Coquille is quiet and unassuming.

3. How bad is FOG in the Bay Area? Are there many head-on collisions on the roads from Reedsport to CoosBay? from CB to Coquille? From bandon to CB?..due to bad weather?

Answer : First off, there have been a few head-0n's on 101 from Reedsport to Coos Bay, but the worst jaunts are far and away Myrtle Point to Winston, December through mid to late February, via hwy42. It's basically a very twisty two lanes the entire 60 miles...Add to that chip trucks on a very tight schedule and icy bridges - Dangerous at times..

Personally…I don't like the stretch of hwy42 from Coquille to Bandon as its very twisty in places as it parallels the river.

As far as the fog - A few times a year it gets bad, but its not consistent enough to worry about it.

4. Can you name TWO places where the college-student to 35yr olds hang out? a favorite brew-pub? bookstore? coffeehouse or cafe?

Answer : Sozo tea house, Java Jones Coffe house, Kaffe 101 and Club Solar. And maybe Books by the Bay in North bend. The area is truly ripe for a small-scale organic brewpub with a possible wood-fired pizza oven.

5. How safe is it to walk alone on the beach at night? Would you go for a walk in the woods/forest/trail by yourself? Any police-reports of people getting shot or stabbed when going hiking, etc?

Answer :Very safe. This area doesn't seem to attract the Zodiac or GreenRiver types

6. Which TWO local beaches have the most people at them?

Answer : By far Sunset and Bastendoff.

7. Speaking of beaches, do you get any people FROM Roseburg driving out to YOUR beaches or does everyone go to bandon?

Answer : I would say more folks from outa the area visit Coos Bay/North Bend area beaches as opposed to Bandon.

The important thing to remember about Bandon is that with exception of about 3 1/2 - 4 months out of the year its a lot like Coquille in that the local businesses don't stay open super late.

8. Does the Hwy from Coos Bay going back to Roseburg ever get closed down due to Rockslides? Fog? Flooding?

Answer :Very rare/occasional slides on 42 from Myrtle Point to Winston, and one or twice a year there is heavy flooding in the Proctor road area from Coquille to Bandon, via Hwy42.

There is also some occasional flooding in the downtown area of Coos Bay during heavy, sustained periods of rain combined with high tide from the bay.

9. Is downtown getting an upgrade? Any new stuff being built? What?
Any NEW stores coming to town? Fred Meyer? Appleby's? Chang's Mongolian Grill? Barnes-n-Noble?

Answer :In a roundabout way, you are asking if Coos County has been subjected to large-scale corporatization

The answer is a resounding no. At the very least--my feeling-- its 5-8 years away, and probably 10.

The area has a lot of no frills, home-grown restaurants that seem to be heavy with typical blue-collar fare, like “ logger burgers “ “Chicken fried steak “ biscuits and gravy, etc.

However….in the last three to four years, there seems to be a culinary awakening /revival in the area, with at least 4 or 5 eclectic, chef-owned eateries on the rise. And I think this truly has a lot to do with SWOC’s new culinary program. Heck….the World newspaper even has a culinary section once a week now! Bellisimo!

Also...The Coos Bay and North Bend downtown area's are going through a very light revitalization - but nothing super expensive or earth-shattering.

Yes - They've just completed a brand new fire hall and visitors center, but that's about as good as it gets around here right now.

10. Are there any routine city noises that are loud or frequent or annoying? Sirens/horns from the shipyards/Port? Loud trains/railroad?, etc.? What about an over-abundance of barking dogs when you just wanna get a decent nightssleep?

Answer :There's a fire whistle in Coquille that blows twice a day, once at noon-time and I think at 5:00pm - But nothing in Coos Bay/North Bay..

The indigenous residents may have a different take, but Coos County is a VERY sleepy place, that many would say is 15-20 years behind mainsteam.

If it were noisy, busy or annoying, you wouldn't have the 55-75-year-old baby-boomer crowd migrating here in such numbers.

11. Wasnt the Port of Coos bay going to get some Natural Gas or Mining something-or- other going on and maybe new jobs in town? Whats the latest on that? Any other new jobs/industries coming to town? What (besides the hospital) are the TWO OTHER biggest employers?

Answer : The first thing any perspective new-comer needs to understand about the area - Is its not Eugene or Portland or California...

Growth in both economic and population terms happens VERY slow if at all. Again, the county is very sleepy and there is rarely a SENSE OF URGENCY ANYWHERE.

In places like Eugene, California or Portland most often times a developer/corporation will purchase a piece property, jump through all the regulatory hoops and bam! the structure/building goes right up, fast!

In Coos county the world newspaper will tell the citizenry that some new business is coming that will employ a lot of people - and usually A} It never happens B} it takes a very long time to happen, or C} there are too many regulatory hoops and opposition for it jump through so they just throw in the towel mid-way through the process.

In my 16 years here, only two new venues have come along that employ a significant amount of people :

The Coquille Indian tribe and its gaming facility in North Bend, and Bandon Dunes and its four/five courses in Bandon

12. What is average price for a 1 bedroom UN-furnished apartment in Coos Bay or North Bend?

Answer : I would say you could easily find a 1 bedrom for between 350-700 a month.

13. Is there good Internet service? Cable-speed connection for desktop computer at home?

Answer : Yes...and as one poster already mentioned - there free wi-fi downtown Coos Bay

14. What do YOU like BEST about living here? and least?

Answer : Best - It’s absolutely beautiful and clean here with a rainforest like setting, with crystal clear creeks and rivers. I love swimming in the creeks/rivers in the summer and jumping off 30 foot rocks up Powers.

The traffic, ease of driving is blissful. The affordable rural property as opposed to most other places on the west coast.

Least - Summertime weather - It needs to be about 10 degrees hotter every day.

I don’t like how the working-class/young family population-base is being supplanted by that of retired baby-boomers, indigenous or transplanted.

The worst thing you can do to depressed, natural resourced-based economy, is re-theme in the mold of a massive retirement community. That demoralizes the younger population base.

15. Along with Rainstorms, comes WIND. have you found you get more earches from the wet, cold weather since you moved here?

Answer :No problems with earaches ever... Now pollen/sinus problems are a different ball game.

16. Any problems with Hornets? snakes? spiders? What about ants in the house?

Answer :I live on a very rural 5 acres and have had to deal with Bee's nest twice in 16 years. Absolutely no indigenous poisonous snakes unless you go to Powers or get above Remote/Bridge.

Lots of spiders, but only one time have I seen a Black Widow.

17. How bad is everyday traffic? Have you ever gotten a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt?

Answer : Coos Bay/North Bend/ Sheriff are in my opinion two notches stricter/tougher than Andy Griffith and his deputy Barney. However - If you get pulled over by a ''stater'', there's a high probability you'll get a ticket.

As to the traffic - Other than the bottleneck that exists on 101 through Bunker Hill from 3:00-5:30pm, traffic is virtually non-existent.

You might also encounter a small bit of Motor-Home /5th wheel traffic up 101, but as long as the gas stays hi they seem to stay in low numbers.

18. If there are alot retired or soon-to-retire people
in Coos Bay/North Bend...do you honestly feel that the job market should open up and soon become better as more people retire? Is it difficult to get a job with the city? federal anything?

Answer : Honestly....I think its a ways away, but I think eventually--by hook or crook---Coos county will grow. It will certainly grow with more boomers, the question is what other types of growth will the area
experience.

Here are two points I'd like expound on : The quality of life for California retiree's is far too good to pass up here - Because 1} No traffic, No crime, no heat/humidity/very mid winters/ great fishing, cheap housing--compared to Cali---and 2} the area is in close enough proximity for them to make a 7-13-hour drive to see their extended California family.

As to your question regarding city/federal employment - I always take the glass half-full attitude : If you are qualified and tenacious - you'll eventually get the job you seek. I truly believe that - even in this economy.

But again… recent transplants need to be cognizant - this is not California. We don’t have 100k sales jobs floating around. And carpenters don’t make 30-35 bucks an hour. If you can get a professional job here that pays over 50k a year here - consider yourself lucky. If you can get a labor job here that pays over 35k a year - consider yourself lucky

19. Have you ever been a patient at the Bay Area Hospital? Were you happy with your care? Does the hospital/doctors/nurses seem up-to-date or modern enough? I dont intend to be rude at all. Its just that I've heard that Douglas and Coos Counties are somewhat "economically depressed" and well..it isnt a "Big-city Oregon Health Sciences thing", like Portland. Would you drive somewhere else if you need something serious..liver transplant, heart operation, etc?

Answer :This is one area where I am biased. I love Bay Area hospital and think its one of Coos County's shinning stars.

I will tell you that I would have all my dental work done in Eugene or Portland as I've found it to be less expensive based on far more competition.

20. If you had to pick another town to live in on the Oregon Coast, How would you feel about Brookings? about Florence?
Are they better? worse? How?

Answer : If I was financially secure enough to live anywhere on the coast and not work, I'd pick Yachats.... I think Yachats is the coolest and most picturesque hamlet/enclave on the whole Oregon coast.

But if you are a practical person who wants live on the coast but needs to seek employment in order to survive....I'd pick the northern part of the coast from Seaside, up to Astoria. It's far closer to large metro areas and significantly less dependent of natural resource-based employment and more in touch with mainstream.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 191,792 times
Wow! Great info! Thanks for posting One question, if I may add? How are the rentals? Are they pet friendly or like most other places a struggle if you have a dog that weighs more than 10lbs? Either paying 2x as much because you have one or can't find one at all has been my take from searching the internet. Thank you

Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I just saw in the paper that rail service to Coos Bay is scheduled to reopen next week. That will provide access to Middle America for the lumber mills and American Bridge. For the last 4 years, if they couldn't get it there on a barge the market was closed. Truck shipping was either too expensive or flatly impossible because bridges don't fit on trucks.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM

41 posts, read 119,202 times
Default Don't Do It!!!

[quote=orcoastowl;13777955]
1.Is it hard to get a job at the Bay Area Hospital (in a support dept.--not a doctor or nurse)?
They are the largest employer in the county. Having said that... I really don't know how hard it is to get hired. This much I do know... they could use some "new blood".

2. Is Coquille riddled with violent crime or religious cults?
Show me a town that truly isn't! While small, it does have its fair share of crime. Mostly rural, family type disputes from what I've read. But people do die.

3. How bad is FOG in the Bay Area? Are there many head-on collisions on the roads from Reedsport to CoosBay? from CB to Coquille? From bandon to CB?..due to bad weather?
After 34 years living here... I can say the fog is the least of what you may not like. Fog can actually be refreshing (if you're not driving in it) and yes, blinding at times, but mostly it is a refreshing part of coastal living. There's something "nice" about fog... just not ALL the time.

4. Can you name TWO places where the college-student to 35yr olds hang out? a favorite brew-pub? bookstore? coffehouse or cafe?
Walt's Poorhouse, SharkBites, and High Tide Cafe.

5. How safe is it to walk alone on the beach at night? Would you go for a walk in the woods/forest/trail by yourself? Any police-reports of people getting shot or stabbed when going hiking, etc?
Of course we have crime on the beaches. A recent camper from out of state was stabbed in the campground at Bastendorf Park. Not so long ago a 40+ year old woman was raped and killed on the beach in Bandon. NO... I would NOT walk alone on a beach at night... not ever! If you read the world newspaper online you can see the police reports for yourself.

6. Which TWO local beaches have the most people at them?
Sunset and Bastendorf used to. Bastendorf was filthy on our last visit - nails, glass, condoms,etc., so not too sure there. An occasional dying sea animal roped off... otherwise if you follow the rules and watch where you step... these beaches and parks are remarkable!

7. Speaking of beaches, do you get any people FROM Roseburg driving out to YOUR beaches or does everyone go to bandon?
Of course we get people going to our beaches from Roseburg. Why wouldn't we? We go over there to shop, eat, and enjoy happy people... they come here to enjoy our parks, cooler weather in summer (what summer?) and the beaches. Then... they always go back home.

8. Does the Hwy from Coos Bay going back to Roseburg ever get closed down due to Rockslides? Fog? Flooding?
It is not that uncommon to have construction on the crossroads from I-5 to the coast. It happens. Mud slides, accidents, fog - but I've only seen all access roads inland entirely closed due to flooding one time - 1996. I know this because I was stuck in town and got a hack job surgery (being told it was life or death). So... it does happen.

9. Is downtown getting an upgrade? Any new stuff being built? What?
Any NEW stores coming to town? Fred Meyer? Appleby's? Chang's Mongolian Grill? Barnes-n-Noble?
Now that's some funny stuff! Downtown plays musical streets, and continually rearranges things like deck chairs on the Titanic! More empty buildings than full, and old buildings in ill repair and coming down. But by golly, we got a fancy new visitor's center! Of course there are no new businesses coming to Coos Bay. They are closing down faster than flies dying in a window sill. Our community recently lost Albertson's, Blockbuster (those WERE our chains) and more. LOTS of business space for lease or sale if you're interested. But don't hold your breath for any Mongolian, Applebees or Lowe's. But yes... we do have a Fred Meyer and a Walmart. Oh... and a couple of Dollar Stores.

10. Are there any routine city noises that are loud or frequent or annoying? Sirens/horns from the shipyards/Port? Loud trains/railroad?, etc.? What about an over-abundance of barking dogs when you just wanna get a decent nights sleep?
Actually, the "noises" are not annoying at all, depending on which part of town you live in. Most coastal sounds are rather pleasant to me. I enjoy the sound of fog horns. What I don't like is the damn truck drivers who cannot read signs clearly stating how illegal it is to use Jake Brakes IN the city limits. Now that's annoying.

11. Wasnt the Port of Coos bay going to get some Natural Gas or Mining something-or- other going on and maybe new jobs in town? Whats the latest on that? Any other new jobs/industries coming to town? What (besides the hospital) are the TWO OTHER biggest employers?
Walmart greeters are pretty much spoken for. Don't come here anticipating huge improvement, change for the better or a good job.

12. What is average price for a 1 bedroom UN-furnished apartment in Coos Bay or North Bend?
Be careful where you rent. Eastside is the "sunnier" and "safer" side of town, and occasionally you can find a house in that area for around $800-$1000. As for 1 bedroom apts... I don't know.

13. Is there good Internet service? Cable-speed connection for desktop computer at home?
If you live in town, yes. You can access Charter. It's not bad.

14. What do YOU like BEST about living here? and least?
Vacationing elsewhere? But hey... I'm burnt out. Been waiting entirely too long for all the promised improvements. Still waiting. Seriously, what I like best is due to our choice of lifestyle, we can virtually be isolated if we choose (and we usually do). It's saner that way.

15. Along with Rainstorms, comes WIND. have you found you get more earches from the wet, cold weather since you moved here?
Earaches? Um, no.
16. Any problems with Hornets? snakes? spiders? What about ants in the house?
Some seasons are worse than others, but so far, there are less bugs, snakes, poisonous creatures here than anywhere I've been. That's a very good thing. This year we had quite an outbreak of wasps. Every year you'll see an abundance of slugs and snails, but other than being slimy and gross, they just eat your plants. We do have some poisonous spiders (been bit by one) but they are not all that common.
17. How bad is everyday traffic? Have you ever gotten a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt?
Because of our bottlenecked traffic system, you would be surprised by all the traffic during "rush hour". For such a small community - it's hideous at times. Seriously... there are some areas to avoid mornings and late afternoons. It's called Hwy. 101.

18. If there are alot retired or soon-to-retire people
in Coos Bay/North Bend...do you honestly feel that the job market should open up and soon become better as more people retire? Is it difficult to get a job with the city? federal anything?
This is the LAST place on the planet you should come expecting to find work, unless you are willing to handle dollar burgers at the window and people's money all at the same time. Fast food joints usually have turnover since few will work for minimum wage. Standing on street corners and begging seems far easier for some.

19. Have you ever been a patient at the Bay Area Hospital? Were you happy with your care? Does the hospital/doctors/nurses seem up-to-date or modern enough? I dont intend to be rude at all. Its just that I've heard that Douglas and Coos Counties are somewhat "economically depressed" and well..it isnt a "Big-city Oregon Health Sciences thing", like Portland. Would you drive somewhere else if you need something serious..liver transplant, heart operation, etc?
I would ABSOLUTELY drive elsewhere if I had the chance, and frankly, it's become one of our largest concerns about remaining in the area. We've had less than acceptable care at Bay Area Hospital on NUMEROUS occasions during our time here, and have had to leave the area for RE-DO's on hack jobs... sometimes in an emergency state. My husband has been "lifted" out of here for repair twice. The first time because an honest nurse informed me he was "bleeding to death" at Bay Area Hospital. And he was. Not a good risk to try to seek the care a family deserves here.

20. If you had to pick another town to live in on the Oregon Coast, How would you feel about Brookings? about Florence?
Are they better? worse? How?
Brookings has better weather, and while they are further away from a major hospital, as I've stated, what difference does that make when you get crappy care? They are building a new medical facility (but it's affiliated with North Bend Medical Center, so we'll see...) It's beautiful, mostly retirement, and there's money in the town. Florence is similar, in that they truly do have a good tourist business. It's cleaner (both Brookings and Florence are cleaner than Coos Bay/ North Bend) and seemingly more progressive at attracting tourists the proper way. Never heard of anyone who couldn't wait to drive THROUGH either one of those towns. But unfortunately it happens way too often around here. You have to turn off the main roads to see the real beauty in this community. The town itself is kind of embarrassing if you judge by looks alone driving through on the highway. Especially from the South end of town. The sad thing is... it could all be different! Change here often happens after a flash of brilliant stupidity!

Old 10-14-2014, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,012 times
I was wondering if Coos Bay is getting a Costco?

Old 08-06-2017, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,979 times
Got a email saying coos bay is getting a costco.. is this true

Old 08-07-2017, 04:27 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflores75 View Post
Got a email saying coos bay is getting a costco.. is this true
Costco is two hours away in Roseburg. Retail is leaving the Coast, not coming. It's highly unlikely that trend will ever change. Amazon is the future.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,434 times
I have lived in coos bay now for the last 6 years. I also live overlooking downtown. That being said, I don't know what kind of little fantasyland this other person responding to your questions is living in but it's not coos bay. We have officially dubbed coos bay "the loudest little city in oregon" . Between the rampant and constant sirens going off by emergency vehicles ( which btw start at 7:00 am on everyday of the week on a very regular basis. No exceptions) lots vehicle noise pollution i.e. Young guys with big diesel trucks hot rodding through downtown, or the supped up little Japanese cars with super loud exhaust racing around, people with leaf blowers that all seem to think that 7-7:30 am is the best time to start those up literally all 7 days of the week. Every week. For some reason between Monday and Thursday every morning at 5:00am you can hear the trash trucks running around (very loud) why it is that trash companie "s" need 4 days of the week to take the trash is beyond me but I am not exaggerating even the slightest bit. Traffic is getting worse by the day, transients are on the rise downtown, crime is definitely an issue along with hard drugs i.e. Meth and heroin. Now let's get real and truthful about rental rates in coos bay. If you don't mind living in the crappiest drug infested part of town ( empire to charleston ) then you might be able to find an apartment for around $700.00 maybe. But rentals typically are really around 1000 on the low side to $1500 and up with first last and deposits as a standard. Buying anything at any store in coos bay will cost you on an average of around 20% more than anywhere inland and there's not much for employment anywhere here. Every place of employment is much like how it was described above with trying to get a job with the hospital. Getting back to the noise level of the city, it is absolutely ridiculous and out of control. Our house is fully weatherized and with good vinyl dual panel windows and still we are constantly bombarded with loud noise. Let's point out one thing here for sure, coos bay is NOT a sleepy little town. The jordon cove project is busy buying its way into the city via bribing city officials and looks like they are going to do what they want irregardless of what the tax paying citizens want. So soon coos bay will be an enviremental disaster on top of all the other real problems this city has already. I could go on and on but I think I have made my point.. now that's the real truth about coos bay.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:39 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractorguy View Post
I have lived in coos bay now for the last 6 years. I also live overlooking downtown. That being said, I don't know what kind of little fantasyland this other person responding to your questions is living in but it's not coos bay. We have officially dubbed coos bay "the loudest little city in oregon" . Between the rampant and constant sirens going off by emergency vehicles ( which btw start at 7:00 am on everyday of the week on a very regular basis. No exceptions) lots vehicle noise pollution i.e. Young guys with big diesel trucks hot rodding through downtown, or the supped up little Japanese cars with super loud exhaust racing around, people with leaf blowers that all seem to think that 7-7:30 am is the best time to start those up literally all 7 days of the week. Every week. For some reason between Monday and Thursday every morning at 5:00am you can hear the trash trucks running around (very loud) why it is that trash companie "s" need 4 days of the week to take the trash is beyond me but I am not exaggerating even the slightest bit. Traffic is getting worse by the day, transients are on the rise downtown, crime is definitely an issue along with hard drugs i.e. Meth and heroin. Now let's get real and truthful about rental rates in coos bay. If you don't mind living in the crappiest drug infested part of town ( empire to charleston ) then you might be able to find an apartment for around $700.00 maybe. But rentals typically are really around 1000 on the low side to $1500 and up with first last and deposits as a standard. Buying anything at any store in coos bay will cost you on an average of around 20% more than anywhere inland and there's not much for employment anywhere here. Every place of employment is much like how it was described above with trying to get a job with the hospital. Getting back to the noise level of the city, it is absolutely ridiculous and out of control. Our house is fully weatherized and with good vinyl dual panel windows and still we are constantly bombarded with loud noise. Let's point out one thing here for sure, coos bay is NOT a sleepy little town. The jordon cove project is busy buying its way into the city via bribing city officials and looks like they are going to do what they want irregardless of what the tax paying citizens want. So soon coos bay will be an enviremental disaster on top of all the other real problems this city has already. I could go on and on but I think I have made my point.. now that's the real truth about coos bay.
^^^^^ Greatly exaggerated, but mostly not untrue. I have double pane windows too, but it doesn't keep out the sounds of sirens, mostly from ambulances. Sometimes I wonder if they actually have that many emergencies a day, or if they just like driving with their sirens on. LOL. Add to that the sound of sirens from the local cops when they are out robbing the tourists, and there are a lot of sirens. But still not as many as I heard when I lived in the city. The biggest noise problem I have is the sound of trucks coming into town at 3AM with their Jake brakes on, despite the roads signs warning that it is a $2,000 fine. It's like somebody using a jackhammer outside my apartment at 3AM. Why can't the cops write tickets for that, rather then ripping of tourists for driving 10 mph over the speed limit like everybody else does?

I also have a trash truck that picks up right outside my window two days a week at 6AM. Who thought that it would be a good idea to have a trash truck picking up in a residential area at 6AM? I have asked my neighbors about it, and they told me, oh yeah, they have always done that. I guess it has never occurred to the city / county governments around here to pass ordinances to prohibit that type of thing until after 8AM.

And yeah people around here do love their leaf blowers. But I mostly hear those in the middle of the day. Loud cars and motorcycles, are an occasional problem for me, but not that often. If you are going to move to the area choose your neighborhood wisely, if you don't want to hear a lot of noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon