U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM

18 posts, read 83,953 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving over to the eastern part of Oregon somewhere along the Snake river....Ontario, Nyssa, Vale. We're tired of the wet and wind of the Oregon coast. We want 4 seasons and some hot weather in the summer. Is the water clean and plentiful? We like to fish and swim, have no kids and are in our low 50's. We like to garden also. One of the main reasons we are moving over there also is the low cost of housing. I know we will have to give up the green timber, but we like the desert if there's enough water to not have to worry about watering the lawn and garden. Can anyone say that they like this area, or are homes cheap because it's not a great area? Would love to hear your comments please. Thanks, kbbhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 PM

3,801 posts, read 4,415,039 times
I wouldn't mind living in LaGrande. I'm not that familiar with the Ontario area, but I love the Wallowa Mountain area. Jobs are scarce, but people live there, so you can too.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 4,451,833 times
Not from Ontario, actually from the Idaho side of the border, you definatly have to water your lawn, it can go for several weeks in the summer without rain and temperature ranges from the high 90s to 100s

Old 08-29-2007, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 48,880 times
Hello from Nyssa

There are winds out here on occasion that can get down right blustery. There are definetly 4 seasons which is nice.
Water... well... what are you asking here? Plentiful for playing in,
drinking or what?
The snake, of course, is a river & is not clear...but has a lot of water flowing through it.
Here is a page you can check up a little on the areas you have asked about... Home Page of Nyssa, The Gateway to the Oregon Trail
City of Vale,*Oregon (broken link)
City of Ontario, Oregon

Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbhere View Post
We are thinking of moving over to the eastern part of Oregon somewhere along the Snake river....Ontario, Nyssa, Vale. We're tired of the wet and wind of the Oregon coast. We want 4 seasons and some hot weather in the summer. Is the water clean and plentiful? We like to fish and swim, have no kids and are in our low 50's. We like to garden also. One of the main reasons we are moving over there also is the low cost of housing. I know we will have to give up the green timber, but we like the desert if there's enough water to not have to worry about watering the lawn and garden. Can anyone say that they like this area, or are homes cheap because it's not a great area? Would love to hear your comments please. Thanks, kbbhere.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 13,077 times
Default Caution about the Ontario area

I'd be very cautious about the Ontario Oregon area: Gangs from Boise are migrating out to this area. Most of the newbes socialize with each other because the locals grew up together and are not open to new people. They are friendly on the surface - reminds me a lot of the Southeastern part of the US. Another consideration when moving to a rural area; how do you feel about living next door to a farmer who uses pesticides?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 AM

395 posts, read 775,451 times
Gangs in Ontario???? That boggles the mind and makes me sad. I lived there for a year and a half and graduated from high school there in 1980. There wasn't a lot to do, but we didn't have anyone causing any problems. My uncle and his family lived there for about 30 years, he was a State Trooper there, and it was a just a quiet town of about 10k people. I know they've grown and added that prison out there, maybe some of the bad element is connected to that. The most excitement we got up to was "cruisin' the boulevard" on Friday and Saturday nights or driving out to the Butte. There was a lot of drinking going on in the high school population, but not many drug users at all during the time I was there.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 PM

136 posts, read 682,832 times
Default The Dry Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbhere View Post
Hello, there are much better areas of Eastern Oregon than the Ontario, Nyssa and Vale area. I would recommend La Grande and Union County much, much more. If you don't garden out here, you would be on of the few you don't. Most everyone has a backyard garden and the growing season here is longer than one would think being up at 3,000 feet. The last frost ends around the first week of May and the first freeze comes around mid-October. I'm partial to La Grande and Union County, but also check out Baker City, Wallowa County and Pendleton and Umatilla County. IMO, all are nicer than Ontario, Nyssa and Vale. Homes are probably more costly than you would expect (way more in Wallowa County), but still much cheaper than the west-side. Also, no matter what your political/religious leanings.....people are of the live and let live mindset, so there is no single opressive element. I would strongly encourage you to check out this whole region of the state before you decide.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,969,301 times
good heavens.....my grandparents lived almost their entire lives in Ontario, my dad and aunts were all born there, my dad is the only one to have left. out of all my cousins and 2nd cousins, only 3 have left, and thats just for college, they may be back....anyhow, thats quite baffling to think gangs are going to Ontario...I must ask....FOR WHAT!?!?!? Man, theres just not that much there!!!
I could never live there, for one, I adore living by the ocean, and for two, as much as i love them (well, MOST of them) I dont think i could tolerate living within the "family fold" now....I know they all enjoy living there (they must, they never left. lol) and my grandparents had a bountiful garden out back, and an enviable rose garden out front. It always did feel like a pretty laid back kinda town to me......
Go visit first though before making any decisions!!
best of luck!
Tiffany

Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 21,746 times
I spent a night in La Grande on the way to central Washington earlier this month. It is impossible to really get to know a place over night, but the jolly genius loci certainly seemed to reside there. It snowed in the night and I-84 was ice and hard pack nearly all the way to Pendleton. The drive through the Blue Mts was nifty in blustery conditions. If the religion and the politics are not overbearingly right-wing, it looks like a place worthy of consideration.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM

136 posts, read 682,832 times
Default Northeast Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelordnot View Post
I spent a night in La Grande on the way to central Washington earlier this month. It is impossible to really get to know a place over night, but the jolly genius loci certainly seemed to reside there. It snowed in the night and I-84 was ice and hard pack nearly all the way to Pendleton. The drive through the Blue Mts was nifty in blustery conditions. If the religion and the politics are not overbearingly right-wing, it looks like a place worthy of consideration.
I live in Union County and whereas the potical majority is Republican/Conservative, they are not of the far-right, christian fundamentalist mindset that you find more prevelant in Southern Oregon. Northeast Oregon is more a live and let live social climate and religion does not dominate the populace, but is important to many, but not in the evangelical, enforce my agenda on everyone else way of acting or thinking. A cross-section of people get togerther on community projects more than one would think.

For the last 4-5 years our snowfall levels have been only 50-60% of normal, which has resulted in serious drought conditions and water supply issues. So far this year we are off to a good snow-pack start and we are hopeful to at least have a normal snowfall year. Normal is approx. 30-35 inches in La Grande, we have had less than that total for the last two years combined.

Northeast Oregon is a great place to live!!!! I'm just concerned about future water allocation needs and supply.

Last edited by chrisruns2far; 12-22-2007 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon