Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,479 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and i also our family are wanting to move to the Grants pass area we live in Missouri and want a change of somewhere different to live. Would like to know on the job aspects in that area if they pay good. Also how much it would cost to rent a home in the area i attend school and work going for a bachelors degree in psychology and criminal justice. Could anyone give us some ideas to go on? Tired of city life want to relax in a quiet peaceful area such as Grants Pass, we enjoy the outdoor life of fishing hiking watersports boating etc. want a better area for our kids to grow up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 AM

11 posts, read 19,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephw100769 View Post
My boyfriend and i also our family are wanting to move to the Grants pass area we live in Missouri and want a change of somewhere different to live. Would like to know on the job aspects in that area if they pay good. Also how much it would cost to rent a home in the area i attend school and work going for a bachelors degree in psychology and criminal justice. Could anyone give us some ideas to go on? Tired of city life want to relax in a quiet peaceful area such as Grants Pass, we enjoy the outdoor life of fishing hiking watersports boating etc. want a better area for our kids to grow up in.
Why specifically do U mention Grants Pass? Job? Friends? Family? There are many other towns nearby that are similar.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,977,526 times
Josephine county is currently running 15% unemployment, the cost of renting a house depends on the house and where is located, rents can start as low as 700.00 and go up, you can figure a 1700 sq.ft 3 bedroom home to run 900.00+ even in this economy.
I like Grants Pass, I was raised there in the 60's but allot has changed, LOL. My children still live there, they like it and wouldn't think of moving.
It's all in your perspective, Grants Pass can offer you relaxation and a number of outdoor activities, or you can be very disappointed, again, it's what you make it.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,790,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephw100769 View Post
If you're looking to earn a bachelor's degree, the nearest 4 year university is 40 minutes away, freeway exit to freeway exit, in Ashland (Southern Oregon University). Add 10 minutes to get to the university from the Ashland exit and add any driving time from your home to the Grants Pass exit. That's quite a commute for school... I know a couple of people who did it (from the South side of the river, outside the city limits no less), and I don't envy them.

Rents are pretty expensive in Grants Pass as well. Surprisingly so. But that is the cost of living on the West Coast...

The unemployment rate on paper for Josephine County is about 15%, but there are LOTS of people who have just given up looking for work and who are NOT counted in that number. Therefore the actual unemployment rate is much higher. Job prospects are terrible in Southern Oregon and even worse if you are looking for decent wages. It's a very economically depressed area.

Quiet and peaceful it is however. And flipping beautiful. Not a lot of boating (a little down at Lake Selmac I believe), but there is plenty of fishing, hiking, and rafting/kayaking.

Oh, but apparently it's not very safe downtown anymore. Which I can hardly believe... Some youths randomly beat up a man downtown in the evening a few months ago. There has been a huge influx of people from California and they've brought crime and poor driving habits with them. I don't mean to place the blame on Californians (my parents are native Angelenos and live in Grants Pass), but even they have seen the quality of life decrease over the years and most new residents do come from California. The past year has also seen the arrival of a noticeable amount of Hispanic gang members and cholos.

It is no longer the Grants Pass that I remember.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 PM

504 posts, read 2,168,819 times
Hmmmm I worked in Grants Pass for years, lived in Medford area, and my first thought was also that the closest place for a 4 yr degree is in Ashland, which is incredibly expensive to live, especially compared to Missouri. I'm not even sure they have a criminal justice program, and if they do, the police jobs in Oregon are incredible few and far between, especially in Southern Oregon. I had friends and neighbors who tried to go that route or who worked on the forces down there, and you practically had to be born into a police family to get a job there. The police forces across the state have been struggling for years for funding. It all depends on where you are. Many cities have had to pass additional local tax measures to support police here. Many local measures haven't passed. Also, many people I know who've tried to get a foot in the door have had to volunteer for extended times, which is a big burden if you're attending school and working to pay rent, KWIM... Sorry.

FWIW though I think you're on the right track. Those jobs can not be sent to China.....

As far as boating, in most of Oregon you aren't going to find big lakes like in Missourri. It's more drift boats and rafting.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you may need to do a bit more research. Oregon is a fantastic place to live and work, but something doesn't quite match up with GP and what you want.

Find out where the criminal justice programs are in the state. Do you want police work, or prison work, or?

Also, I am from the deep South and there is a bit of culture shock moving here form there, but in my case, it was a very positive thing, but took some getting used to, especially the short dark winters. Not much boating hiking of fishing then, compared to the South.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,922 times
We need some Grants Pass advice. We are from Las Vegas and are planning a trip to Winchester Bay, but rather than driving we will be flying into Medford then getting a rental car. We are very excited to finally be able to see Grants Pass/Medford area as it is on the top of the list for our dream relocation cities. The problem is that we will only have about 4 hours to kill, and we need to know how we could best spend this time. We want to be able to get a good feel for GP in particular, and maybe see some of its highlights. We will be there the week of Thanksgiving. We are in our mid-20's and have a 15mo old daughter. Your help is much appreciated!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:35 PM

963 posts, read 3,022,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjames1 View Post
We want to be able to get a good feel for GP in particular, and maybe see some of its highlights.
Some of its highlights? This is a small city of 30,000 souls. You can park downtown and walk most of the city within an hour. Few people are bowled over by first impressions of Grants Pass or Medford (for that you want to go to Ashland). GP and Medford are basic workaday goods-and-services communities that are struggling to attain financial solvency. Lots of empty storefronts all around. There are plenty of folks who enjoy living in the Rogue Valley, but you have to be the kind of person who makes his own entertainment. The "highlights" are experienced only with some effort. They are outdoor activities like the mountain bike trails out at Cathedral Hills and the whitewater rafting on the Rogue. For urban culture and nightlife, it's rather sleepy.

If you're going to be there in late November, you can leave your sunglasses at home. Bring a good rain jacket, though; November is typically the stormiest month in southern Oregon.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,035,380 times
Cool Life in the Rogue Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjames1 View Post
We need some Grants Pass advice. We are from Las Vegas and are planning a trip to Winchester Bay, but rather than driving we will be flying into Medford then getting a rental car. We are very excited to finally be able to see Grants Pass/Medford area as it is on the top of the list for our dream relocation cities. The problem is that we will only have about 4 hours to kill, and we need to know how we could best spend this time. We want to be able to get a good feel for GP in particular, and maybe see some of its highlights. We will be there the week of Thanksgiving. We are in our mid-20's and have a 15mo old daughter. Your help is much appreciated!
IMHO Grants Pass is an excellent town to live in if you are a retiree with a guaranteed income However, anyone else should plan on renting for several months at least, before making any decision on becoming a permanent resident. Jobs are scarce. Married couples might enjoy life in the Valley but singles would find social options very limited

Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,551 times
I am a retiree with guaranteed income of only $1000/mth. Can I afford Grants Pass for retirement? (I'm somewhat of an outdoorsman and require little dining out or paying for entertainment).

SteveOfAZ

Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,035,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOfAZ View Post
I am a retiree with guaranteed income of only $1000/mth. Can I afford Grants Pass for retirement? (I'm somewhat of an outdoorsman and require little dining out or paying for entertainment).

SteveOfAZ
IMHO you might afford living in GP on $1k a month IF you could find minimal cost living ~ like sharing a home or renting a room in someone's home ~ and only you know what the cost of your other living expenses would be. There is no mass transportation in GP so a vehicle is almost a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon