Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Did they change the law recently?
The law changed in 2001 or 2002, allowing the state-run stores the option of being open on Sundays and holidays. There plenty of cities that have state-run liquor stores that are open on Sunday. According to the OLCC site, Kamath Falls isn't one of them, but you can still buy beer and wine at any grocery or convenience store, just not hard alcohol.

In Portland, there are a few test sites that have the liquor stores inside grocery stores, but that's still provisional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 AM

840 posts, read 6,515,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The law changed in 2001 or 2002

That's strange because I moved to Oregon in 2002 and was told no stores allowed the purchase of any kind of alcohol on Sundays. Kind of made sense because most of the stores were closed on Sundays anyway. Obviously that has changed over the last 5 years.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:38 AM

Since I don't like most hard alcohol but I love "craft" beer, I've always counted it as a blessing - the stores in Oregon (even Fred Meyer and Safeway in Klamath Falls) have a great selection of beer. When I go visit my son it California, even though he lives in the heart of LA, most of the grocery stores stock the higher-profit hard alcohol and there is nowhere near the selection of craft beer available.

I was in KFalls last week, and ate at:
Mermaid Garden (a little lunch place on Main)
Main St. Bakery (very nice breakfasts)
Los Potrillos
Thai Orchid
Mr. B's Steak House

met a friend for beer at The Creamery (I like the Belgian Blonde beer).

all of it was very good.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 PM

28 posts, read 87,502 times
Thanks blyguy...here in EAST Texas (and I am about to tick off the locals) tattoos get you noticed big time. Oh if you only have one on your ankle they might let that pass, but my legs are "decorated" lets say, with very pretty flowers and such, but if you go beyond one tat here...!!!!

As to the conservative political arena...as long as it keeps the seperation of "church and state" its all fine with me. I just didn't want to move into an area that is completely right-winged religious conservitives who rule the town is all. I live in one right now and nepotism is so "southern-ly" alive and well in E. Texas! I am sooo happy to hear the Thia word...no one even knows what Thia food is here and if you want to cook something that is not "American or not fried" you are out of luck finding it. We have no decent places to eat...and as for going out and enjoying a beer...ha ha ha...there are 3 bars here and not our cup of "tea"... As to buying beer even on Sundays in Texas...they just passed it so that we could actually buy beer in the stores in Angelina County...it had been dry since prohibition in Lufkin! I have to drive to another county to buy vodka! We moved to Texas from Athens GA (you can't buy any booze on Sundays, except in restaurants/bars) and it was culture sock all over again for us. I had some moving to Athens GA...it is the south and I am a western girl.

I do have some questions still though...is there a tic problem there? I don't ever recall having problems with tics when I lived in Cali desert, but I could be wrong. My husband is seriously sick of tics and I have a almost "phobic" dislike of the things since moving south.

As to the change of seasons, are there 4 or just 2? After the long hot humid summers that we have had here...we relish the thought of cool and even cold nights! My husband got on this past weekend to see the weather and it was like 34 degrees, but it was only 5 in the morning there at the time.

Thanks again...

Last edited by phywackette; 06-20-2007 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: forgot to finish quote

Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 PM

There are definitely ticks out in the scrub and brush, so it's something you watch for hiking. That true in pretty much all of eastern Oregon and a good chunk of western Oregon, too.

There are 4 seasons - if you go to a site like wunderground.com and put in Klamath Falls, you can scroll down to a link to historic weather data ("History and Almanac") for a day or even a month, going back something like 20 years.

The City Data page will also show you average highs and lows, snow and precip data, sunny day data.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Klamath-Falls-Oregon.html

Summer days can get hot (in the 90s easily, and the high-altitude sun is pretty powerful), but the nights almost always cool down into the 40s and 50s. Overnight frosts are possible a good part of the year, even when it's hot during the day. It's also very dry.

Winter lows can get down to the single digits and even, rarely, drop below zero.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,027 times
Oregon approved Sunday sales in 2002, and the next year liquor sales increased 14 percent.
So I guess they did even if it wasn't recently.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
There are definitely ticks out in the scrub and brush, so it's something you watch for hiking. That true in pretty much all of eastern Oregon and a good chunk of western Oregon, too.

There are 4 seasons - if you go to a site like wunderground.com and put in Klamath Falls, you can scroll down to a link to historic weather data ("History and Almanac") for a day or even a month, going back something like 20 years.

The City Data page will also show you average highs and lows, snow and precip data, sunny day data.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Klamath-Falls-Oregon.html

Summer days can get hot (in the 90s easily, and the high-altitude sun is pretty powerful), but the nights almost always cool down into the 40s and 50s. Overnight frosts are possible a good part of the year, even when it's hot during the day. It's also very dry.

Winter lows can get down to the single digits and even, rarely, drop below zero.
Thank you for the info, I only hope the ticks are not as bad then as they are here then. Last time my husband came out of the woods he pulled probably 6 attached ticks and countless others in search of a meal. Later that day I pulled another 3 attached from him. Wearing shorts while in the woods here is impossible. I will check out the pages you have suggested.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,027 times
I was over in Roseburg last weekend and had a tick looking for a home. However I have been camping three times this year and have done some hiking and riding and haven't had a one on me here around home. So I would have to say ticks shouldn't be a problem.
I totally understand the religion/polotics thing in the south, you will find none of that here as our state Gov't is so damn liberal. You see the people in Klamath and the surrounding areas are definately coneservative in their views but it really doesn't matter because the majority of the people in the state live in the valley and are liberal as hell. SO the laws definately mirror the liberal views of the majority.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyguy View Post
I was over in Roseburg last weekend and had a tick looking for a home. However I have been camping three times this year and have done some hiking and riding and haven't had a one on me here around home. So I would have to say ticks shouldn't be a problem.
I totally understand the religion/polotics thing in the south, you will find none of that here as our state Gov't is so damn liberal. You see the people in Klamath and the surrounding areas are definately coneservative in their views but it really doesn't matter because the majority of the people in the state live in the valley and are liberal as hell. SO the laws definately mirror the liberal views of the majority.
An occasional tick I can take...but every frickin' time you go into the woods here...you have to deal with may more ticks than you want and have to dress to keep them off as much as possible (miss hiking in shorts). It would be nice to go outside and not have to put on a ton of deet to keep everything...ticks skitters and such away just to walk in the woods...how are the skitters there? Oh yeah, and there are more poisonist snakes here...like 7 different rattlers...but I like them, they give you warning most time...it is the the water snakes that creep me here and they are here!

And you have it on the southern religion/political thing...can you believe that they ask you what church you go to when you apply for a job...(I know, I know...they are not suppose to ask those kind of things...but I live in the south and who ya gonna complain too???? Had a interview at a local law office and was asked that qestion...scary). Thanks for all input...can totally take the liberal politics!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 22,115 times
Oy! Where do I start? Klamath Falls is a hell hole. Spent my whole life here and can not wait to leave. The nightlife consists of a movie theater and take your pick of a dozen pizza joints and as many Mexican restaurants. There are less than three decent places to get a nice sit-down meal, the bars are frequented by the same people with the same recycled wannabe bands, and for God's sake if I hear one more joint promoting karaoke singing I am going to go ballistic!!!!

I love the mountains, weather, and relative solitude of not being in a big city. However, this place is currently being flooded with snotty out-of-towners with cash to throw around. Now those who bust their butts for a living can not afford to buy property or a nice house. Rentals are dumps and almost no one will let you keep a pet at a rental. There is no industry or decent work in the area unless you are building houses for the rich. Most everything is retail so if you enjoy serving coffee, getting off work and having someone serve you coffee for the rest of your life, this is your place.

The huge lake on the edge of town would be awesome if it were not for the disgusting algae and agricultural runoff making the water so gross I will not let my dog swim in it. The town is mostly conservative but your worries about standing out with tattoos and such is nothing. Just about everyone I know has piercings or tats. No big deal.

The schools are terrible. The town is run by a couple dozen Richie Rich's who say what goes, what gets built where, etc. The hospital is known as "Murder West" (Merle West) although they have done renovations and changed the name to try to ditch the moniker.

I would continue, but I have to get back to my relocation search. I say come one, come all. That'll open up a spot for me somewhere where people actually have personalities and some ambition to progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon