U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM

505 posts, read 1,396,033 times

Advertisements

I used to live in the Medford area. I'd get a job first, as mentioned. It really is hard! If you move now, you might be able to find something for the summer season. Ashland has a lot of tourists because of the Shakespeare Festival, but it's $$$ to live there. You MAY be able to sub-let from a student at SOU for the summer though, if it's not too late. Most people who work in Ashland live in Medford though, but tons of outdoor things to do close by. Before kids we used to do a lot of river rafting to cool off. There's also lakes in the mountains that are beautiful there (Lake of the Woods, Hyatt and Howard Prairie). Southern Oregon gets pretty hot in the summer, but nothing like AZ I'd think. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,417,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
The ocean? Very rarely. I know of a few surfers and even they wear wetsuits during the summer! The water is chilly, it's windy, etc. 99% of the year. Our beaches are not at all like beaches in California.

The rivers around where I live are not good for swimming in (very strong undercurrents), although people do. I can't remember one summer where not less than a few people drowned in rivers, although each circumstance is different. I don't know about down south.

I would think inland lakes are your best bet. "IMO"

PS: You should try to make it up to Hood River during the summer. It's board-head heaven on the Columbia River. Note the wetsuits: Windsurfing The Columbia River Gorge
I didn't mean necessiarly for swimming, I just enjoy being at the beach, having a nice fire, and just enjoying the scenery.

I do like river kayaking and canoeing, so I was hoping the rivers and lakes would be good for this. Are there any good lakes for watersports like boating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
The ocean has a cold current as far south as Santa Barbara - north of there, wetsuits are the rule year-round. We get a bit of heat in the summer and there are places to swim. The coast is often foggy and windy in summer, though - the best weather there is late Sept. and October.
I have surfed in Santa Cruz before, with a wetsuit it wasn't that bad, but I am sure it's much colder up in Oregon.

I am not looking to surf if I move up there, I am not into it that much anymore since I started other sports.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 PM

How's the ashland area?

Old 05-22-2010, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 5,456 times
have you checked out Bend? it blows Ashland out of the water when it comes to outdoor activities. Bike friendly city, and you got good mountain biking right outside your door. Also, if you're into snowboarding or skiing in the winter mt bachelor is 30 minutes away. Great hiking there in the summer as well.

good kayaking on sparks lake, ~25 min away

YouTube - Kayaking on Sparks Lake in the Cascades of Oregon

white water rafting is big here too on the river. basically outdoor activities available year round

jobs might be the only tough part, but the Bend economy is recovering slowly and we have a lot of high end hotels here that need staff and culinary people, good for you and your fiance.

another thing to consider, ashland is a college town that also has a lot of retirees, so not a lot of people between the ages of 24-35, exact opposite in bend.

but yeah, bend sounds like a perfect fit for you.

Last edited by markr2300; 05-22-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM

I figured since Ashland was a college town it would have more people my age, but I guess not.

Bend sounds great, I am going to look into that.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 PM

yep, post here or send me a private message if you need any more info

Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM

I looked at the map of Oregon, it seems a bit out there, would you consider it "out in the country" or is it a larger town? I am looking for somewhere I can still have some big box stores, but not a huge city like Portland.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 PM

its a city, around 85,000 people now. tons of big box stores, walmart safeway costco ect, also lots of high end brand name stores since bend is a big vacation spot for wealthy people.

we have everything except an airport.

check these two links, you'll have to copy and paste because its not letting me hyperlink them for some reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend_Oregon
http://wikitravel.org/en/Bend

Last edited by markr2300; 05-22-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 PM

I looked around, seems like there are a few high end hotels, and suprisingly a few of them are hiring. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 AM

758 posts, read 1,367,837 times
"I have surfed in Santa Cruz before, with a wetsuit it wasn't that bad, but I am sure it's much colder up in Oregon"

Not much - about the same, actually. There are some good surf spots, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon