U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2006, 12:03 PM

61 posts, read 185,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Frankly, I would agree with the person who said move to Washington State. ... Education is better.
Can someone elaborate on this for me?

I've heard it said that the Oregon educational system isn't good... but I never heard why. I'm looking at teacher salaries right now, something that will affect me (not the only way to gauge things, but it's something)... Oregon pays their teachers well compared to other states according to what's listed by the American Federation of Teachers.

Washington State, for example, in comparing teacher salaries to annual income of private sector (one way to compare salaries to cost of living), ranks 40th in the nation. Oregon is ranked 6th. Help me out here guys.

- Chris
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 03:44 PM

85 posts, read 422,427 times
Chris,

I'm also looking to move to OR and find a teaching job. I think that the media often gives a more negative impression of schools than they deserve. I'm sure there are good and bad schools in most districts. I was just looking at one school district in OR that claims to have some of the highest test scores in the nation (if you believe that is an accurate measure of school quality). I suggest you look at school district web sites in the areas you're interested in and check their test scores and see what the schools have to say for themselves.

I'd be taking a $10,000 pay cut to move there myself, but my district pays extremely well.

Sally

Old 08-21-2006, 06:59 AM

10,010 posts, read 11,442,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogamigo View Post
Can someone elaborate on this for me?

I've heard it said that the Oregon educational system isn't good... but I never heard why. I'm looking at teacher salaries right now, something that will affect me (not the only way to gauge things, but it's something)... Oregon pays their teachers well compared to other states according to what's listed by the American Federation of Teachers.

Washington State, for example, in comparing teacher salaries to annual income of private sector (one way to compare salaries to cost of living), ranks 40th in the nation. Oregon is ranked 6th. Help me out here guys.

- Chris
I moved from Oregon partly because of the schools. I hope pay is less of an issue for you than the kids. The governement there doesnt think about the kids at all, the only reason the teachers get the pay that they do is because they had to go on strike several times to get it. Schools comes last,school safety is an issue, extra programs come last. They were actually going to shut down schools so they didnt have to pay for them and then bus the kids to over crowded schools. oregon has it's priorites in the wrong area.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserter View Post
Chris,

I'm also looking to move to OR and find a teaching job. I think that the media often gives a more negative impression of schools than they deserve. I'm sure there are good and bad schools in most districts. I was just looking at one school district in OR that claims to have some of the highest test scores in the nation (if you believe that is an accurate measure of school quality). I suggest you look at school district web sites in the areas you're interested in and check their test scores and see what the schools have to say for themselves.

I'd be taking a $10,000 pay cut to move there myself, but my district pays extremely well.

Sally
Actually they need more attention in the media, they dont get enough.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:18 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,535,022 times
I would ignore Nea. Obviously, this person has a chip on his/her shoulder about Oregon. Best to read intelligent, rational comments about something.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I would ignore Nea. Obviously, this person has a chip on his/her shoulder about Oregon. Best to read intelligent, rational comments about something.
Excuse me, who are you to tell people that about me, I was born and raised in Oregon, attended the schools there and had 4 kids in the school system there. What I have said is fact, they were going to close down 3 portland area schools down to the fact they didnt want to fund them, the teachers have had to strike several times in order to get the pay they need. School saftey is an issue and was in the three schools my kids attended. I dont know what your problem is. I love lots of things about Oregon but I am not going to lie to people, they need to know the whole truth in order to make a decision.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:34 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,535,022 times
I wouldn't listen to Nea1. It's obvious that this person has a chip on his shoulder about Oregon. His attitude comes through loud and clear. Better to listen to the others about the good and bad and make up your own minds.

It's true that Portland is very popular among the younger set (20's to 30's). It's seen as a progressive city and the creative arts are thriving there. The city is pursuing the "creative class" to bolster its economy and sees younger people as vital in maintaining its health and liveability. Because it is environmentally conscious, it's easy to get around on foot, bike or bus. I find it very people-friendly in that it's not so big and obtrusive that you feel like an ant. It has great neighborhoods full of bookstores, coffee shops, bistros, restaurants, clubs, etc.

There are actually many places in Oregon where you could go. Be forewarned that the unemployment in Oregon is historically very stubbornly high. This is due primarily to the fact that we have tremendous in-migration and don't create enough jobs for all the people coming here. People who move here are willing to work for less even though they're highly educated because they love it here. That tells you something about the mind-set--tends to be less money loving and more into the personal fulfillment thing.

I don't find people to be terribly rude to out-of-staters. The most you might here is some sarcastic remark--and that's usually reserved for Californians. Most Oregonians are from somewhere else and the attitude of keeping people out is not very pronounced. The only ones like that are the stupid elitists on the far left and the stupid Neanderthals on the far right. Most of us are in the middle and welcome newcomers.

There's water everywhere in Oregon, you won't be disappointed.

Purchasing a house? I would need more information. The Coasts tend to be more expensive than the Midwest. Oregon is quite pricey considering salaries. This is due to rapid growth (primarily from equity-rich Californians) and incredibly strict land use laws that restrict development. Expect to pay a minimum of $200K. Of course, it depends on where you want to live and how you want to live.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Oregon!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I wouldn't listen to Nea1. It's obvious that this person has a chip on his shoulder about Oregon. His attitude comes through loud and clear. Better to listen to the others about the good and bad and make up your own minds.

It's true that Portland is very popular among the younger set (20's to 30's). It's seen as a progressive city and the creative arts are thriving there. The city is pursuing the "creative class" to bolster its economy and sees younger people as vital in maintaining its health and liveability. Because it is environmentally conscious, it's easy to get around on foot, bike or bus. I find it very people-friendly in that it's not so big and obtrusive that you feel like an ant. It has great neighborhoods full of bookstores, coffee shops, bistros, restaurants, clubs, etc.

There are actually many places in Oregon where you could go. Be forewarned that the unemployment in Oregon is historically very stubbornly high. This is due primarily to the fact that we have tremendous in-migration and don't create enough jobs for all the people coming here. People who move here are willing to work for less even though they're highly educated because they love it here. That tells you something about the mind-set--tends to be less money loving and more into the personal fulfillment thing.

I don't find people to be terribly rude to out-of-staters. The most you might here is some sarcastic remark--and that's usually reserved for Californians. Most Oregonians are from somewhere else and the attitude of keeping people out is not very pronounced. The only ones like that are the stupid elitists on the far left and the stupid Neanderthals on the far right. Most of us are in the middle and welcome newcomers.

There's water everywhere in Oregon, you won't be disappointed.

Purchasing a house? I would need more information. The Coasts tend to be more expensive than the Midwest. Oregon is quite pricey considering salaries. This is due to rapid growth (primarily from equity-rich Californians) and incredibly strict land use laws that restrict development. Expect to pay a minimum of $200K. Of course, it depends on where you want to live and how you want to live.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Oregon!!!

they asked about schools, so I told them the thruth ,sorry if that bothers you.. If you have read my other posts you can see I love Oregon, except the schools. And so much you know, I am a her not a he. But I see maturity is lacking here if a person cannot even express their opinion without being attacked for no reason. there are plenty of people on this forum that has expressed concerns for the school system besides me.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM

344 posts, read 1,241,053 times
I don't mean to get into the fray, but opinions are never right or wrong. Opinions belong to the person expressing them. No one should ever be held accountable for expressing an opinion as long as it is his or her own. We should not want to get into someone’s case for stating her or her opinion. The beauty of this forum is that we can all state our own opinion and hopefully without turning someone’s opinion into an argument. If I were the Thread Leader, I would move any arguments over to an Argument Forum for further debate. Should we not all hold in high regard other peoples opinions?

Dan

Old 10-15-2006, 05:29 PM

27 posts, read 76,958 times
Hi, Maria ...

Even though I was raised in So.Cal., I was born in Detroit, MI & still have family sprinkled through the MI area. So, I do slightly understand how dense portions of the state are. If you take the time to read the boards from almost any other state, you'll hear much of the same theme from long-time residents. America has a huge population that just keeps getting bigger, making most states feel over-crowded, rude & more crime-ridden than even 5 years ago. So, with that said, can you find a the quality of life you're looking for here in Oregon? Yes, I believe you can. It is all a matter of perspective.

Like you, I originally came to Oregon from a very large area; Los Angeles County. The crime had gotten ssooo bad that my small sons were no longer safe playing in our fenced backyard during broad-daylight. Innocent people were being shot while sitting in their own homes by drive-by shooters bad aim; drug dealers were openly doing business without fear of being seen, etc, etc. The once sleeply little town we lived in (Sunland/Tujunga), where neighbors all knew each other, was no longer a safe haven. So, in 1988 in pursuit of a better life, My (now ex) husbank & I, packed up & relocated our family to Oregon. We did not know anyone, did not have jobs, & only knew we were headed towards Portland.

Once here, we fell in love with the little town of Milwaukie; 2 mins (yes, minutes) from the Willamette River, 20 mins. south of Portland; 15 minutes from PDX, 20-25 minutes from Vancouver, WA., 20 mins from the Columbia River, 30 mins in most any direction to forested areas, 35 minutes to Multnomah Falls, 40 minutes from Mt. Hood, 90 mins. to the Oregon coast, etc. 18 years later, I still love this little town. It is on the east side of the Willamette River. It is the river that divides metro Portland into the east and west side. The west side of much more upscale with larger homes & newer developments; very congested. While a lot of the east side is older, smaller towns with slower growth. What all of Oregon is starting to lose, is the large sprawls of rural areas as family farms are being snapped up by developers & turned into neighborhoods with business' following.

On the whole, Oregonians are not rude people at all. To this day, it still amazes me that people here will patiently wait at a light, without beeping the horn, for another slower driver. In L.A. drivers would blare & lay on their horns all the time; even when they could see you couldn't move anyhow. You will see a whole line of "on the way to work" cars patiently wait as a mother duck & her chicks take 10 minutes to cross a road. If you would feel any sense of unwelcome, please don't take it personal. Part of the beauty of Oregon is that there are still many wonderful families whose roots are 100's of years old. It is hard for them to see so much of this beautiful land disappear. I'm even going to go so far as to say -- their land disappear. It is not uncommon to met someone who a town or street is named for one of their ancestors. However, those same familes will still invite you to a social gathering all the same.

For people like you and me, who come from "concrete" cities, there is still much to appreciate and love in Oregon. I have found everything I want here; all within each reach. It's just the rain that gets to me. That's why I'm thinking of moving to NC now that my boys are grown. Since you don't mind the rain, you should be very happy here. The beauty of the rain is that it helps keep everything so lush & green here. And, keeps the rivers flowing by replenshing the river levels.

Once you get here, please don't laugh at us too much when towns shut down & we complain about the 3 days of ice we get every year or two. After all, we don't come from a blizzard state that lives with feet of snow every single winter. See ... it's all a matter of perspective. WELCOME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon