U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2010, 01:17 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,230,620 times

Advertisements

It's time to move on in retirement to another location.
From what I have read I would like to try to coast of Oregon as I love salt water (I grew up on it).
I have checked the taxes and we can actually save money there over what we pay now and it appears overall that our retirement checks will go a little further there.
We rent now, may buy again someday. We would like a larger 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom unit so we can spread out with the hobbies and still have room for someone to visit.
But what will utilities cost me there? We are home most of the time as retirees of course.
Thanks~
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Oh, and if you supplement heat with a stove or fireplace that would be nice to know about how often.
One thing we really miss is our current rental in the mountains of AZ does not have a fireplace.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,730,386 times
Utilities will be different for every family, so I'll just tell you about mine. First you may not know that very little of the Bay area uses natural gas. Mostly it's just electric. There is a big difference between my winter and summer bill. My highest monthly bill for winter was $129. I use a pellet stove when it's cold in the evening so that helps. Summertime the bill is around $30. I am a cheapskate. I keep the heat turned down low, and wear warm clothes during winter. I live in a 2 story house so your electric bill might be a lot different. Water/sewer is around $56 per month.

Mostly people don't use air conditioning because it's not hot here. Alright one or 2 days last summer it became strangely hot. I've been here a few years, and that doesn't happen much at all.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Thanks.
I know the marine environment is pretty stable temp wise.
Our water sewer trash is around $85 but has the one extra service.
When it's hot here, and it broke the record since 1928 for this last Sunday which was 95 with 97. When it gets that warm we do run the AC.
We use it just for comfort whenever the temps outside get above 87 or so.
Your two story may take more heat with the heat rising but your rates are still pretty low. We have gas heat here (and water heater/cooking) and in the winter with this well insulated place will go over $100 for gas alone.
It reverses with electricity for the summer cooling in a really hot month.
The stove or particularly a fireplace would sure be nice and we miss not having one. I never owned a home without one but sometimes in rentals you just don't get everything you want.
I will assume however that most homes in that area do have a FP or stove of some type, it just makes sense.
I am seriously considering relocating to Coos Bay. I think it's too quick to do when my lease is up the end of Sept but I can sign for another 6 months and move next April which would work too.
Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 PM

8 posts, read 17,429 times
the electricty bill for me averages about 100 per month and i try to keep it down yet it is difficult
at times , the summer months i can turn the heat down so its cheaper yet the winter time it goes up . all in all it is not bad though , the house im in is about 1900 sq ft and there is a fair amount of glass and i have no curtains on the windows , im sure it could be cheaper yet i have only been in this house about 1 yr now and have been doing alot of remodeling .
the water bill is pretty much the same each month roughly 50 bucks
i throw my trash in my truck and take it to thhe dump so dont pay for the trash service since im
currently remodeling
overall im not to concerned about the utility bills
i do have a problem though with the present tax assesments and i have already asked for a reassesment .
if your looking to buy a house in the area you will find tha property taxes are not bad
but you may question the tax assesments , it would be a good thing to look it up
just a do a google search for coos bay tax assesor and you can read how they do the figures
and if you do make a purchase be sure to fill out the form they send you so you can start off
with the correct assesment .
my problem with my assesment is that this house was recently assesed at a new all time high
even though housing prices have declined . it seems the assesors office has not figured that out
and i realise this is a problem all over the united states and not just coos bay .
basically there is 2 sides to the figures yet when they bring up the taxable assesed value they also bring up market value also . in doing this ,they have in my case raised the market value of this house approximately 56 % above what it truelly is . then when you do questin them on it they will tell you well unless the value goes below the taxable assesed value it wont lower your taxes
that is fine but they still need to adjust the market value of the house to what it truelly is
just keep it in mind is all so you know how to deal with it .
good luck

Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 PM

i would expect that all houses here have fireplaces or wood stoves
the temp here is pretty mild . there are many houses though that do have wood stoves
and it will help keep the cost of electricity down yet you will still have to buy firewood
i dont use a wood stove or fireplace in my house how ever i have considered installing one
you might just take the time to come here and spend a week ,look around and see what you
think . and while your hear look around at whats available to either rent or buy .

Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 PM

oops
i would not expect to find all houses with a fireplace or wood stove
is what i meant to say above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon