Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM

848 posts, read 1,946,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless you have children or never, ever have children in your home--that's something that most people--even those without children--can't say.
If someone isn't imaginative enough to place a handgun in a place inaccessible to children without a trigger lock, then perhaps they shouldn't own a gun.

Quote:
You also assume that your gun wouldn't be stolen if you weren't home.
Where did I assume that? You'll probably be shocked to learn that even gun safes are stolen if they're small enough to be picked up or relatively easily moved. Here's a tip that might not have occurred to you: When you leave the house, store the gun and magazine in different places, or ammo away from the gun if a revolver.

I certainly hope everyone with firearms has recorded the serial numbers in the event of a robbery.

By the way, even police officers have experienced theft of weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,699,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again you assume it's the middle of the night and you are in your bedroom. What if it was daytime with you in the kitchen?
Ok...I have really big kitchen knives in there No way to prevent any and all crimes. Let's face it..most random crimes perpetrated against people are during the night...

I also have lots of signs indicating the protection of my home by an alarm system. Hopefully that will be a deterrent, hopefully my dog will be a deterrent. In the event that neither of those are, hopefully, my skilled and practiced firearms training, will be a DETERRENT, as I state, loudly, to please exit my home, I have a firearm (sound of cocking weapon),... in the event, that none of these deter said candidate for the Idiot Hall of Fame...well then, fate will have to take it's course....

Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 36,375 times
Also...the correct term is "ORLANDOANS"

Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,085,110 times
Shot gun wout be nice, but I really don't want to have to clean blood off my walls, doors, floors and ceilings. A lot of people think the cops will clean this up for you... they do not. Plus you'll have to repair any damage as well. I really don't want to deal with all of that. Not to mention the home invader's family will probably sue you, if you kill them.... so you have to deal with court too... Man.... no thanks.

I'm getting one of these. No matter where you hit them, they're falling to the ground. Also getting the smaller one for my wife's purse. No mess, no damage and just as effective if not more so. If you hit a bad guy in the arm or leg with a gun and he has a gun, he may get ya. You get him anywhere on his body with this thing and he is going down!

Moderator cut: copyright image[IMG]

Last edited by Granny Sue; 06-30-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,333,306 times
Quote:
Also getting the smaller one for my wife's purse.
Then you just have to hope that it can be gotten out of the purse in time...

Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,196,940 times
One wicked hunting knife. I love guns, grew up around military people in Texas, have excellent aim, but to have one in my home, no thanks. If I ever have a family than it will probably change. I'm a big believer of attracting peaceful things in life and a gun at this point would be like bad karma for me. I'm also trained in hand to hand combat and have some training disarming people. At 6 foot 3, 180 pounds, almost all muscle, most people leave me alone, and I like to leave it that way.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,168,185 times
Pretty sad state of affairs when we have to talk about a 'weapon of choice' for our homes. I lived 8 miles from downtown Boston for many years in the 80s and 90s and never locked our door !

Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,515,776 times
I have found guns are quite popular here in Orlando and I found out during a road rage incident on Alafaya Trail where a PO'ed driver behind me didn't think I was going fast enough & pulled a gun out on me! Maybe it's the gun culture here or something but I never had people in Miami brag about their guns.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,699,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I have found guns are quite popular here in Orlando and I found out during a road rage incident on Alafaya Trail where a PO'ed driver behind me didn't think I was going fast enough & pulled a gun out on me! Maybe it's the gun culture here or something but I never had people in Miami brag about their guns.
It's not just here...it's East LA, it's Philly, it's Baltimore and D.C., it's Dallas/Ft Worth..., it's Columbine, it's all over...please...just because someone here on a message board in Orlando chooses to discuss it, don't think it's an "Olando thing".... it's the slippery slope of liberal mentality, if it's not mine, then I will just take it...it's owed to me anyway. It's the complete denigration of society, the lack of moral fiber in general, the continuation of division of social structure...the widening of the gap between the "haves' and the 'have not's", the welfare state, the drug state, the gangster state....that does not occur in a little bubble called Orlando...or hadn't you heard yet....

Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,107 times
1. Violent crime in Orlando is not decreasing. Well...officially it is...(in other words, what is reported and classified as a violent crime is decreasing) but in reality it is not. Attempted home invasion is sometimes classified as "attempted burglary". It's all about statistics and making officials look good.

2. I'm very supportive of our law enforcement officers. But they can't be everywhere.

3. Most people live in what I call "reverse lottery" mindset. They are counting on the fact that it a rare thing to be attacked. That is their comfort. However, they make no plans for when it does. They just do not want to think about it.

4. For me, it is my responsibility to protect my wife and kids. That is why I believe in being armed. Remember, criminals do not obey gun laws. Restrictive gun laws only restrict the law abiding citizen from being able to protect himself.

5. And guns are the only thing that allows a 140 pound weakling to be on equal footing with a 250 pound muscle bound criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando