Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

It looks great. Once those 6 lanes on Colonial are open they will probably really relieve traffic. One can only hope

I didnt know they opened that bridge in March. I would have driven over there just to see it before I moved. But usually whenever I went to your end of town, it was too easy to take John Young down to 417 and go that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM

39 posts, read 165,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
This picture is better..

This happens all throughout the day. I went to Universal today and we hit traffic on the way back on I-4 around 1pm.

Coming from Atlanta (one of the worst cities in regards to traffic) I4 is NOTHING! When we were there, I made it a point to drive through I4 throughout the day and especially during rush hour and I was just amazed at how clear the roads/highway was! IT WAS MOVING! Orlando is nothing compared to the traffic in Atlanta. I'm actually looking forward to driving the roads in Orlando!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by placestogo View Post
Coming from Atlanta (one of the worst cities in regards to traffic) I4 is NOTHING! When we were there, I made it a point to drive through I4 throughout the day and especially during rush hour and I was just amazed at how clear the roads/highway was! IT WAS MOVING! Orlando is nothing compared to the traffic in Atlanta. I'm actually looking forward to driving the roads in Orlando!

Seriously, Orlando is a cakewalk compared to most cities.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Seriously, Orlando is a cakewalk compared to most cities.
How hard is it to drive in any city really. I think the unpredictable drivers and crazy red light runners in Orlando are something to be feared over interstate driving. Actually you could argue that it's easier to drive in Atlanta since the interstates are better and offer you HOV lanes if you're making a bee-line through town. Driving in Manhattan isn't that bad either, it's just follow the car in front of you while driving straight and cut over when needed. In NYC they are used to sudden lane changes so you usually don't get hit when you cut in and out of traffic.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
How hard is it to drive in any city really. I think the unpredictable drivers and crazy red light runners in Orlando are something to be feared over interstate driving.
Miami is way worse in that regard. They get voted #1 for road rage every year You're right though, it's not so much a question of difficulty, but rather the hassle. One exception I had was when I first visited Pittsburgh, PA. That road system is beyond crazy, simply because it evolves from the center of the city, which is shaped like a triangle.

Quote:
Actually you could argue that it's easier to drive in Atlanta since the interstates are better and offer you HOV lanes if you're making a bee-line through town. Driving in Manhattan isn't that bad either, it's just follow the car in front of you while driving straight and cut over when needed. In NYC they are used to sudden lane changes so you usually don't get hit when you cut in and out of traffic.
The sheer volume of traffic in those cities dwarfs what you have to deal with in Orlando. In terms of waiting and length of commute, that's what really trumps everything IMO.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
I really do enjoy the toll roads as it does make it very convenient, it would take forever if I had to take 50 from west Orlando to get to UCF. But from someone who used to work at the airport and the only option was to use the 528 (lived by the Disney area), it gets very expensive and wish there was some kind of discount program for locals who have to use these highways to get to work.
I disagree. Someone would have to make up the difference if you got a discount. I'm a "local" who doesn't use toll roads to get to work, and frankly I don't want to be subsidizing anyone's commute. It's not my problem that you chose to work in an area not convenient to where you live, or vice versa. You do have other options, you just prefer not to use them, and the rest of us shouldn't be subsidizing your convenience.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. Someone would have to make up the difference if you got a discount. I'm a "local" who doesn't use toll roads to get to work, and frankly I don't want to be subsidizing anyone's commute. It's not my problem that you chose to work in an area not convenient to where you live, or vice versa. You do have other options, you just prefer not to use them, and the rest of us shouldn't be subsidizing your convenience.
so then you believe every road should go to toll? (i.e. major highways, interstates etc.). I'm a limited-government guy myself, but I feel that a functional road system falls under what government should provide for to facilitate interstate and intra-state commerce.

It's always amazed that MCO has never had a direct interstate route, unlike most major cities. I feel that's one destination that should be toll-free.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
There are discount programs. If you have a Sunpass, you will save $0.25 or so on Turnpike roads. If you have a E-Pass, you will save 10% or so on Expressway Authority roads if you reach a certain amount of transactions. It's not much, but I'm sure it will add up if you have to drive around town for your job all the time or you live a million miles away from your job.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
What is the monthly amount for a sunpass if anyone knows?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
What is the monthly amount for a sunpass if anyone knows?
No monthly cost if you don't use it. You make a one time purchase of the transponder and add funds to it as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando