Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM

12 posts, read 31,549 times

Advertisements

hey all, Im in Denver, colorado now, but thinking about moving to Orlando area, and wanted to know what areas, cities or towns to stay away from.
Loooking for a low crime area, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4Runner View Post
hey all, Im in Denver, colorado now, but thinking about moving to Orlando area, and wanted to know what areas, cities or towns to stay away from.
Loooking for a low crime area, any help would be appreciated.
be more specific in what your looking for. What kind of people (college aged? families? young singles?) what budget? what kind of setting (rural suburban urban)?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
The easy answer is avoid these areas: Parramore/Holden (32805), Pine Hills (32808), Oak Ridge/Millenia (32839 and parts if 32809), Orlovista/Metrowest (32811), South Apopka (32703), Azalea Park (32807), Union Park (32825 there are nice areas of this ZIP, just not the areas along E SR50)... Goldenrod (32822), parts of Kissimmee (34741, 34743), Lockhart/Rosemont (32810). That encompasses most of them.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,735 times
Well Stay away from these zip codes. Its better when looking for a residence to use Orlando by zip code map. (You Can GooGle it)

But 32808, 32839, and some of 32809, 32805, west past of 32801. Apopka and Kissimmee are not Orlando. kinda need some more info

Better yet where would you "LIKE" to be like an idea. Describe and we can list the good better than the bad.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 17,702 times
You can check out the Orange County Sheriff's website on crime stats.
Crime Information.

The Sheriff's website for Seminole County (north of downtown Orlando) has crime maps too
Seminole County Sheriff's Office - Characterizing Browser (http://www.seminolesheriff.org/en-us/advisories/crime_maps/index.php - broken link)

Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 PM

12 posts, read 31,549 times
thankx for the replies.... as far as what Im looking for, doesnt really matter, what would be nice is 3/4 bedroom 2+ bath 2 car attached garage, pool would be nice seems LOTS of homes have that, lol
and yes somewhat close to shopping within 20 minutes or so.
More so 30-50 year olds not really looking into a retirement community, not just yet, lol

Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 AM

76 posts, read 242,542 times
Thumbs down Forget it!

DON'T MOVE TO ORLANDO!!!!! We paid over 500k for our home but out kids still go to a ghetto school, which we just recently took them out of and pay over 600 a month for a private school. This town has hardly any safe passage for walking or jogging or biking. The roads are so bad with flooding every rain. There is no entertainment life in town. Nothing elegant or fancy. Now with the 100's of foreclosers in town there is no where to go but down. I wish someone warned us 15 years ago. As soon as we can sell our home we are out of here. Orlando will lose another hard working, law abiding family.

Look up all the crime and sex offenders in the area! Get out while you can.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
DON'T MOVE TO ORLANDO!!!!! We paid over 500k for our home but out kids still go to a ghetto school, which we just recently took them out of and pay over 600 a month for a private school. This town has hardly any safe passage for walking or jogging or biking. The roads are so bad with flooding every rain. There is no entertainment life in town. Nothing elegant or fancy. Now with the 100's of foreclosers in town there is no where to go but down. I wish someone warned us 15 years ago. As soon as we can sell our home we are out of here. Orlando will lose another hard working, law abiding family.

Look up all the crime and sex offenders in the area! Get out while you can.
I am not sure why I am even bothering, but here goes:

1) I am judging from your post that any public high school would be ghetto because you seem very judgmental of your kids' peers.

2) Orlando is very high on lists for unsafe roads so I agree with that.

3) The roads flooding is a Florida thing, kind of a ridiculous comment to make. Anywhere that it rains this much this fast is going to have minor street flooding.

4) No entertainment? I think I could safely compare Orlando to any other US metro area and find it in the top 10 for entertainment outlets and options. That is pretty good considering it is not even in the top 20 metro areas.

5) Winter Park is one of the most elegant and charming parts of all of Florida. There are boutique and specialty shops and fine dining throughout the area. There are also very nice areas in SW Orlando, Lake Mary, etc.

6) Orlando is in the top metros as far as foreclosures, so I cannot argue there. The town is far from empty and we are still getting bigger and better things every month so I see it having little impact on many residents. What is unfortunate is the higher HOA fees you pay in half full neighborhoods, etc. You honestly would have these same issues in any of the harder hit metro areas. I think you are only a little better off in TX which, um ... no thanks.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 AM

27,209 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
5) Winter Park is one of the most elegant and charming parts of all of Florida. There are boutique and specialty shops and fine dining throughout the area. There are also very nice areas in SW Orlando, Lake Mary, etc.
I think the prior post was referencing the overall lack of more of a fine dining presence in Orlando. Apart from a few independent fine dining establishments, the overwhelming majority of restaurants in town are chain-affiliated which aren't exactly known as culinary trailblazers. It is kind of odd that there aren't more pioneering young chefs in town given the potential for traffic, the high visibility potential and relatively low business costs. Inexplainably Las Vegas suffers similarly, which Orlando has much in common with.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM

30 posts, read 94,689 times
Hello! Here's my thoughts on the Orlando area. Orlando is much bigger than people think. It sounds like you would be partial to the Windermere, or Winter Garden areas. They are nestled directly behind Disney and they are filled with long term families, so the upkeep is excellent along with the schools. The prices are very good over there now as well. The area code 34786 is VERY desirable especially at these prices. You should look it up to see for yourself. Also, I highly recommend Celebration, also just next to Disney which is a unique, quaint, master planned community with their very own hospital, school, church, and downtown area. These prices are at a record breaking low. Reunion, in Davenport is also an option. There are also newer built communities in Davenport, and Windermere that are worth looking at. I have much information on these areas and more. Feel free to respond, or I can contact you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando