U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,162 times

Advertisements

my family (husband, 2 year old son and myself) will be moving to the lake underhill area from Stuart FL. I just want to know if this is a family friendly area, and if there is anything to do with my son aside from going into the city. are the schools good? I just need some general information or a link to some general information. Thank you for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:35 PM

4,193 posts, read 11,028,912 times
Lake Underhill the lake? Or the road? The road is very long and goes into multiple areas.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,162 times
we would be moving on to lake underhill road. by alfaya st.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkennedy881 View Post
Thats a good area. Its called Waterford Lakes, there are a lot of subdivisions in that area and a lot of retail so traffic can get heavy at times. Its family freindly with a lot of amenties. All the elementary schools and middle schools are A rated, the high school got a C last year for the first time, the new numbers aren't out yet but its usually a B.

Here are some links with general info about the area..

http://yourorlandoconsultant.wordpre...terford-lakes/

The main shopping center is the waterford lakes town center http://orlando.about.com/od/shopping...rfordlakes.htm but there is also many more retail options outside of the town center. Here is a link to the weekly farmers market in the town center http://www.waterfordlakesfarmersmarket.com/. Multiple events go on at the town center throughout the year, like October fest, beer festival, wing break, taste of Orlando, christmas carnival with ice skating, car shows, halloween, etc.

Last edited by GLS2010; 07-20-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,274,110 times
I agree it depends. Some parts near Lake Underhill have a lot of crime and the area has gone way down. The schools are less that wonderful. I would suggest checking the crime in the zip code your planning on moving. I use to live in the Conway area which was a nice area near Lk. Underhill but I have hard that even Conway is experiencing more crime.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I agree it depends. Some parts near Lake Underhill have a lot of crime and the area has gone way down. The schools are less that wonderful. I would suggest checking the crime in the zip code your planning on moving. I use to live in the Conway area which was a nice area near Lk. Underhill but I have hard that even Conway is experiencing more crime.
Lake Underhill near Alafaya does not have the crime you see near conway, semoran, goldenrod etc. Its pretty secluded from those areas in its own little area on its east end. you have to drive through cow pastures on lake underhill to get to it.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,749,652 times
Kind of unrelated to the OP's question, but I live in Conway and except for some seedy apartment complexes, Conway actually has very little crime. This would include the nice areas around Lake Underhill including Hargill/Lake Arnold, Dover, Bryn Mawr and down into Belle Isle. I do agree with Semoran and Goldenrod though being highly trafficked and having more crime filled neighborhoods.

The Waterford area is very busy but it is pretty congested. There are good schools out there for the most part and it has a lot of amenities.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 AM

114 posts, read 287,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkennedy881 View Post
Good area.

Near UCF.

As mentioned before you would be near Waterford Lakes (movie threatre, Target, tons of family restaurants and a bunch of shoppes). Also there is a Super Wal-Mart near by.

Overall good and safe area.

I lived around there for 9 years.

Good choice!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 PM

90 posts, read 227,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Kind of unrelated to the OP's question, but I live in Conway and except for some seedy apartment complexes, Conway actually has very little crime. This would include the nice areas around Lake Underhill including Hargill/Lake Arnold, Dover, Bryn Mawr and down into Belle Isle. I do agree with Semoran and Goldenrod though being highly trafficked and having more crime filled neighborhoods.

The Waterford area is very busy but it is pretty congested. There are good schools out there for the most part and it has a lot of amenities.
I would much rather prefer Lake Underhill near Conway Rd. opposed to Waterford Lakes. Conway/Dover Shores/Lake Underhill Neighborhood are all nice older established neighborhoods with character. Lake Underhill Park is pretty nice, especially now with the new walkable bridge on the 408. Anything downtown is much more preferable than congested Waterford Lakes. (Waterford is nice for now, but has too much traffic and having to commute downtown and pay the tolls and gas and living in Orange county as opposed to living in the city limits of Orlando is a negative to me.) And there is no issue with crime in Conway, probably less than Waterford, which is also the bad part of East Colonial through Union Park. Dean Road and Rouse Road are crime areas. Probably the worst part of Lake Underhill would be from Gaston Foster to Goldenrod, but I've started to see some regentrification in Monterrey and Englewood Park. Those are strong, well built homes and bungalows. New Azalea Park near Goldenrod has never been that nice, even when it was new. After Goldenrod you enter the Chickasaw trail and Rio Pinar area and that's a good neighborhood. Dean and Lake Underhill is a higher crime area going north on Dean, same as Rouse. But there is nothing terribly bad the entire length of Lake Underhill if you are directly on Lake Underhill.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrowester View Post
I would much rather prefer Lake Underhill near Conway Rd. opposed to Waterford Lakes. Conway/Dover Shores/Lake Underhill Neighborhood are all nice older established neighborhoods with character. Lake Underhill Park is pretty nice, especially now with the new walkable bridge on the 408. Anything downtown is much more preferable than congested Waterford Lakes. (Waterford is nice for now, but has too much traffic and having to commute downtown and pay the tolls and gas and living in Orange county as opposed to living in the city limits of Orlando is a negative to me.) And there is no issue with crime in Conway, probably less than Waterford, which is also the bad part of East Colonial through Union Park. Dean Road and Rouse Road are crime areas. Probably the worst part of Lake Underhill would be from Gaston Foster to Goldenrod, but I've started to see some regentrification in Monterrey and Englewood Park. Those are strong, well built homes and bungalows. New Azalea Park near Goldenrod has never been that nice, even when it was new. After Goldenrod you enter the Chickasaw trail and Rio Pinar area and that's a good neighborhood. Dean and Lake Underhill is a higher crime area going north on Dean, same as Rouse. But there is nothing terribly bad the entire length of Lake Underhill if you are directly on Lake Underhill.
Dude, your "metrowester" so you are probably most familiar to the west side of town. I know the east side of town very well and Lake underhill from Conway to Chickasaw has a much higher crime rate than anywhere along dean or rouse. The only iffy areas along dean and rouse are the areas near 50 and it's sill not as bad. The Conway area is literally touching one of the most crime ridden areas of east Orlando, semoran. East orange county near dean and rouse especially along Lake underhill is much more safer than semoran... IMO Waterford lakes is a better area to live in than Conway. Waterford lakes has better amenities, better family atmosphere and is only 5-10 mins down the 408 from Conway so getting to downtown isn't that much harder. And as soon as within the next year or 2 the Waterford lakes area may be voted to become it's own city. It is also more stable economically than Conway, because a lot of industry in it's imediate area. Lockeed martin, Research Park, siemens, westing house, etc. It may be a bit over built right now when it comes to houses but the businesses in the area seem to be doing well. A new Kobe opened up last month, along with a biologicals office, and a new shopping center is currently under construction across alafaya trail from the Waterford lakes town center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando