Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times

Advertisements

@Booya, Seminole county schools are not "superior" to orange county schools. Orange county is an A rated district like Seminole county (the only two A rated districts in metro Orlando) Orlando is 3 or 4 times larger of Seminole county and has a major city in it (Orlando) so there are going to be some areas with no so great schools. But that doesn't mean that the good areas don't have good schools. People just think Seminole county schools are better because almost all of there schools are A and B rated and in orange county not all of them are A and B rated. But the A and B rated schools in Orange county are just as good as the A and B rated schools in Seminole county.

And Brinkofsunshine is right, Dr Phillips high school is the best high school in the metro for preforming arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Lake Mary is where I live and it's a great place to live and raise kids. I've been here from PA for about 11 years. My kids have gone through the Seminole Co. School district. The schools are good here. We have a school for the performing arts also. Both of my kids where involved in Pop Warner; one in cheerleading and one in football. (BTW, when it comes to competition, Lake Mary is one of the top rated) We have a Y right here where the kids have gone to summer camp. We have some nice parks too.

Everything is located right here in either Lake Mary or Sanford. You don't have to even get on I4 to get to what you want or need. We have an abundance of stores and restaurants. For entertainment, we have movies and bowling. Between the two towns, they always have events going on. We also have farmers markets and a huge flea market. We are located 40 minutes from the beach and Disney too.

Hope this helps and I would definately consider Lake Mary.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 18,537 times
Wow GLS2010- you weren't kidding when you said beckycat is the expert on Lake Mary, lol! Great information from all- I really do appreciate it For our immediate move I don't think Windermere or Dr. Phillips would be a good fit- but who knows- we plan on renting for 1 year & in the worse case, we will move my daughter to a school thats fits her better (not that it's what I'm anticipating) I think Lake Mary sounds like a very strong possibility for many reasons but I have to find out more about Lake Nona simply because my husband will need to travel back to NY a few times a month & any time saved in travel-would be better for us all. I've read good & bad- can anyone be more specific about Lake Nona? THANKS AGAIN everyone

Old 07-25-2010, 07:27 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherini View Post
Wow GLS2010- you weren't kidding when you said beckycat is the expert on Lake Mary, lol! Great information from all- I really do appreciate it For our immediate move I don't think Windermere or Dr. Phillips would be a good fit- but who knows- we plan on renting for 1 year & in the worse case, we will move my daughter to a school thats fits her better (not that it's what I'm anticipating) I think Lake Mary sounds like a very strong possibility for many reasons but I have to find out more about Lake Nona simply because my husband will need to travel back to NY a few times a month & any time saved in travel-would be better for us all. I've read good & bad- can anyone be more specific about Lake Nona? THANKS AGAIN everyone
BTW, there's an airport in Sanford which is 5-10 minutes from Lake Mary. It's very easy to get in and out of the airport. Not to mention, they have flights back up north for $49 each way. Anyhow, if you have to go to Orlando airport, it's a 40 minute ride straight down the toll road.

I can't help with Lake Nona b/c I don't know anything about it.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,730 times
I moved my family to Lake Nona last August and have been very happy with the decision. My oldest is turning twelve this year and she is excited to attend the new Lake Nona HS/MS. Everyone I have talked to has loved the high school. The new middle school will be finished next fall. My husband commutes to the airport and it takes 11 minutes! There is a nice YMCA in the area. My kids have felt very safe riding bikes and the area is beautiful.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Lake Mary is a great choice, in my daily sales and advice to buyers via blogs and personal direct communication I also point out the Lake Nona and Windermere areas.

Although I've lived in multiple areas around Orlando I currently live in Lake Mary and enjoy the family feel. With any area in Orlando or the Country from that matter you need to keep your eyes open, as a bike rider I've been all over the area with no problems.

Markham Woods - recently family attended this school

Greenwood Lakes Middle - currently have family members attending here

Just be careful as having the City of Lake Mary in your mailing address doesn't necessarily guaranty attending Lake Mary schools due to school zoning boundaries.

Lake Mary Prep is a choice if you are outside of the zoning bounds of Lake Mary High, but Seminole High is changing that thought pattern with most.

Hope this helps,

Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM

16 posts, read 47,747 times
Lots of the recent comments I believe to be true. Dr Phillips is surrounded by traffic and high crime but is a safe community. Lake Nona is where new great new medical center is being constructed, is very safe, great public schools, and rapidly expanding interesting and quality businesses. High Latino community but they are very hard working, friendly and decorate for Christmas. I doubt there are Synagogues that near, however with the new medical science building, hospitals, and university medical school I am sure you will soon be living with many Jewish persons if you decide on Lake Nona. The Lake Nona Country club has multi-million dollar homes. Lots of golfing in the area.These are my observations on your matter.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 AM

83 posts, read 139,437 times
Windermer is rightt next to dr. Phillips why wouldn someone suggest it? Id seriously consider windermere. It was peaceful and had a country feel but still close to everything. I liked dr. Phillips because its close to everything yet had a small time vibe by via the ymca being central to town so all your kids acibities would be close.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
My personal opinion is that you should move to an area that you like that is convenient to your work, and put your children in private school.

If you are moving to Florida from the Northeast, you will be very disappointed in our school system.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
If you are moving to Florida from the Northeast, you will be very disappointed in our school system.
Yawn.... FL actually provides a pretty good bang for the buck if you look at national outcomes vs. per-pupil spending,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando