Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,319 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
We (my husband and I) are currently living maitland apartment (renting).
We recently found 2 homes, one in windermere and the other in lake mary.

spec on windermere home is;
price at 255k. gated community 4beds 3baths 3 car garages 2300 sq ft.
1 story with a pool. built in 2003

home in lake mary is;
price at 262k. guard gated community. golf community. cul-de-sac. 4 beds 3baths. 2 car garages 2900 sq ft. 2 story w/o pool. built in 1989.

We don't have a child and have no plan maybe for 3-5 years. My husband is working at altamonte springs but he may change his job location in 2012...

Sizes of both homes are pretty satisfied. I am a big fan of a private pool and a little bit worried about the old home. Also, my husband LOVES 3 car garages even though we only have 2 cars.

Do you guys think which property is good for living? HELP!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Lake Mary is closer to your job but the Windermere house most likely won't have some of the problems an older home would have. I know that didn't help...

Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I would personally go for the Windermere house, because I like newer construction usually and prefer that area. Both houses are probably fine, though. It really depends on what you want and what area you think you could be happier in.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I agree Lake Mary is closer to your DH's job. If you get a good inspection and everything looks good, it maybe a consideration. You have to remember, a 20 year old house may have had some things replaced like the roof or A/C which maybe newer than the 2003 home. On the other hand, if not, you may need to replace those items soon. I'd get a home warranty that covers some of those things.
You may like Windermere better, who knows. I'd chose by the area I like the best.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,319 times
I am also concerned about the condition of lake mary's house. We don't have enough money to repair major things...Also, just wondering, is windermere's school rating is a way worse than lake mary's? My friends said seminole county's school is better than orange county. I don't have children SO FAR but just want to know.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
Windermere schools are just as good as schools in Seminloe county. People like to make a big fuss about Seminole County schools but every area has good schools and bad schools and it depends on the location of the home on which school you will be zoned for. Its always best I find to plan for the future even if you dont have children now or even the idea of having children now because you never know whether you will be staying or not or even if children become a part of your future sooner than you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahatmajy View Post
I am also concerned about the condition of lake mary's house. We don't have enough money to repair major things...Also, just wondering, is windermere's school rating is a way worse than lake mary's? My friends said seminole county's school is better than orange county. I don't have children SO FAR but just want to know.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Make sure that your surveyor checks properly that there is no Chinese dry wall in any proprties between 2001 and 2007. It rots the copper wiring and can cause illness. The surveyor c should take a wall socket out from each room and check for damage. Good luck withr house hunting

Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
I love Windermre and the house sounds like a good one. That said Lake Mary has a lot to offer. Windermere is a small enclave but once your out of the town there's not much in the immediate vicinity.

There is a lot to be said for Seminole County Schools if your looking further down the line.
Seminole County is a more affluent overall and has a lot to offer. It's a hard call. Myself I put more stock in the overall feel of a place, the environment, culture, beauty of the area rather than just the house. I would rather live in a slightly less wonderful house and be in the area that meets my desire for beauty and esthetics overall.
I would visit the area so you can get a feel.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM

30 posts, read 94,632 times
I really like Windermere as well, being close to Disney retains property value, and families live there to raise their kids. It is peaceful, but also centrally located as well. You have Downtown Windermere, and Winter Garden near by, the Winter Garden Village which offers a wide variety of shopping and dining. It is very safe and access to roads may take just a few minutes, but that is what you want there. There are plenty of gated communities which offer imenities and luxury, even the ones that are not gated are kept up well. I highly recommend this area for relocation. Hop that helped!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Make sure that your surveyor checks properly that there is no Chinese dry wall in any proprties between 2001 and 2007. It rots the copper wiring and can cause illness. The surveyor c should take a wall socket out from each room and check for damage. Good luck withr house hunting
Hi can you please educate me on what is Chinese Dry Wall...i do see this popping up but don't understand what it means??!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando