U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:45 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,837,811 times

Advertisements

maybe i am preaching to the wrong crowd, but i can't help but post about the awful driving here in orlando. i live in the 32828 area code, which is a pretty desirable area, and i still can't see why ppl drive the way they do.

i went to the waterfod lakes shopping center today, and just in the very short distance i traveled, i encountered very obvious running of red lights, excessive speeding on 35mph streets, and last but not least, in the shopping center itself, someone going probably 45-50 mph in an area which ppl cross streets, and others are trying to pull out of to get back on the mian drag that runs through the shopping center. add to that, the constant lack of using turn signals, pulling out in front of others, and honking at ppl who actually come to a complete stop at stop signs, it is no wonder why orlando is "america's angriest city." i used to defend orlando, but now i can't. it is what it is, and that is a city with no sense of community, rude ppl, terrible and impatient drivers, and soaring crime. the day i move out of orlando can't come soon enough.

sorry to vent and sound like a "hater", but i had to get this off my chest and complain to others besides family and friends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 750,066 times
My husband and I noticed this about Orlando even when we moved here 9 years ago! I put my music on and try not to let it bother me. I've been flipped off, cursed at, etc. more than I care to remember since moving to Orlando. So I understand your frustration!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM

i am soooo over orlando though. it used to be a nice city. now, i wouldnt advise anyone to move here. it's sad, b/c parts of orlando are nice, but the character of ppl (in many cases) are lacking

Old 06-24-2007, 06:33 PM

631 posts, read 2,318,578 times
It honestly is the same everywhere. In Nashville I Swear on my life that 9 out of 10 drivers will tailgate you so close you can smell their Old Spice cologne. It became a joke - it always happened. Then they would curse and scream and swerve and basically try to make 100% sure you knew they were MAD!!!!!
I hated Nashville driving, I became so depressed over it rarely went out other than work.

I drive against the traffic here because I live downtown. My commute to Altamonte in the morning takes 15 minutes and my commute home takes 30. Yes I see a lot of stupidity, but as the poster above said I just watch out for myself and try to ignore the idiots. It's a million times better here now that I have seen what else is out there traffic wise.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:49 PM

1,572 posts, read 3,855,631 times
I agree. While traffic volume isn't too bad people on the roads have a very poor attitude towards driving. Really excessive speeding isn't that unusual, tailgating isn't too unusual, and the big ones I think are not using signals and not clearing intersection.

Being on two wheels I have been cussed or honked at alot- and heard it, for often very trivial things- sometimes nothing at all. People just love to hate here, it's really sad because you'ld think with a mild climate people would be alot more laid back in their attitudes. The best advice I can give is to just not participate in it yourself, find something wholesome in your life, and F#$% the rest of them. The people here really will drag you down.

Oh, and even the cops speed here. On my way home I was going on a 35 mph road and got passed by a Orange County sheriff's car doing 45 mph. I wonder what exactly the cops do... they obviously don't enforce any traffic laws. Only occasionally do you see them get out, on announced days, and do traffic stops for speeding. Just speeding though. I have yet to see many people pulled over for running a red light or changing lanes without signalling.

I thought drivers in Oklahoma were on the whole courteous, and traffic as such was nonexistant. So I don't think every state is like that. Florida really needs alot better public transportation, and really pushing telecommuting to get the roads clear and lower everybody's nerves. With our service economy, it's really bad to have so many people car depedent, too.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,887,379 times
I love Florida but the driving is one thing along with hurricanes that are a definite drawback...I like it enough here to put up with it.

Part of the problem is the system of roads was not built to handle the amount of traffic they have.

I noticed right off when I moved here that there were WAY too many memorials along side the road where people had died in a car accident.

When I get on the highway, I take it VERY seriously. I could never drive a small car on I'4, I'm not that brave.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,753,688 times
Here's the problem. Speed limits and red-light running should be strictly enforced on city roads - not even give people the usual "5mph" benefit of the doubt. However, the speed limits on highways are too low. We should be able to drive 80-90 mph on highways, without some slow poke holding up traffic in the left lane. I have no problem with other drivers on highways giving slow pokes in the left lane various signs that their playing "traffic cop" is not acceptible.

That's just my two cents, which I recongnize as being pretty meaningless on this topic.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,716,949 times
Agreed! (not about your opinion being meaningless). And if we could stop a talking on the cell phone while driving. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Here's the problem. Speed limits and red-light running should be strictly enforced on city roads - not even give people the usual "5mph" benefit of the doubt. However, the speed limits on highways are too low. We should be able to drive 80-90 mph on highways, without some slow poke holding up traffic in the left lane. I have no problem with other drivers on highways giving slow pokes in the left lane various signs that their playing "traffic cop" is not acceptible.

That's just my two cents, which I recongnize as being pretty meaningless on this topic.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,753,688 times
Carolac, I totally agree with you about cell-phones as well. I've sure the cell-phone industry has lobbied the heck out of Congress not to address this problem. Personally, I feel safer driving next to drunk who's at least trying to drive good, than I do next to someone yapping on a cell phone obvlivious to the world around him/her.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:58 PM

please dont tell me it's this bad in northern fla too?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando