U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM

2,513 posts, read 4,926,072 times
Default Central Florida scenic drives

Hello! My finace and I live in the Orlando area and absolutely love to drive around exploring Central Florida when we can.

Does anyone have any suggestions for scenic areas around Orlando?

We have been through Winter Park/Windermere (we live near there)/Celebration (I work there), but we're looking for more nice places to see.

We love lakes, heavily forested places, beaches, etc. We love finding little hidden places that are so nice to visit and just explore.

Thanks so much! Any suggestions (even somewhat far away) are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-24-2007, 06:51 PM

631 posts, read 1,521,708 times
Have you ever been to the Seashore in Titusville? You should check it out. There's a wildlife preserve and for about 15 miles you will see nothing but Florida outback. Then you reach a pristine shoreline with no buildings in sight. Just dunes and beach. It's a relatively secret place because it's never crowded. Basically you take Highway 50 to 520 east. It takes about an hour.

Have you been to the "old mill" at DeLeon Springs? You cook your own breakfast on a gridle in an old mill while overlooking a lake and a natural spring.
Then there's Cassadaga if you want to go back in time. It's a "spirit camp" town with mediums, palm readers, etc. The whole town is basically a spiritual camp. However it's a pretty old town and is a good getaway from the bustle of Orlando.

Unread 06-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Thanks blueoktober!

Yes, we've been out to Titusville and its very nice. We were out there recently to see the shuttle launch, actually.

We haven't been to DeLeon Springs/Cassadega, thanks so much!!! I've heard of the Sugar Mill, but I've yet to go there.

I appreciate the response!!!

Unread 06-24-2007, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 13,715 times
I love scenic drives as well . I am particularly fond of Avalon Road in Winter Garden (CR 545) and the Sugarloaf Mountain area in Clermont. Both have rolling hills and lakes, with dense forests and winding roads. It is definitely someplace to get lost in on purpose .

Unread 06-24-2007, 07:56 PM

183 posts, read 762,966 times
If it's not too far, drive out between Inverness and Ocala on Rt. 200.
If you are lucky, you will stumble onto a little resturaunt called "Stumpknockers." We did, and it was delightful.
They are right on a little river bank, and have a very unique atmosphere.

Unread 06-25-2007, 07:31 AM

631 posts, read 2,053,688 times
We picked up a book at a local bookstore called "2 hour drives from Orlando" when we first moved here. It outlines 2 hour drives, what to see, where to eat, where to stay... It's a great book!

Unread 06-25-2007, 08:39 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,502,504 times
Tomoka State Park just west of Ormond Beach.
Mt. Dora and Howey-In-The-Hills around the Dora - Harris chain of lakes.

Unread 06-25-2007, 04:51 PM

126 posts, read 382,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandfuzzy View Post
Celebration (I work there)
Me too! I work at the hospital. Where do you work?

Unread 06-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
Me too! I work at the hospital. Where do you work?
Celebration Place. I work for IT at Disney.

Unread 06-25-2007, 05:46 PM

183 posts, read 791,569 times
I like the drive from Hwy. 192 onto hwy 27. Head toward Howie-in-the-hills. I never knew that Florida had hills. We like going to St. Augustine and having lunch. They have a lot of cute shops and the "Old Spanish Fort". Deleon Springs for breakfast at the Sugar Mill is a treat. Bring a bathing suit and swim in the springs. If you ever get on the west coast stay in Siesta Keys best sunsets and white powder sand. Then go on down to Sanibel for shell picking on the beach. Tarpon Springs above Tampa has a lot of Greek places to eat and sponge shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando