Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,786 times

Advertisements

I currently work for a great company in CT making over a 100k a year and great benefits. However i have recently been offered 95k for a 100% remote position. I was thinking of Orlando. Do you think the cost of living difference in florida would make up for the decrease in salary I am making at my present position? I long for the sun! And I am still a believer in that the lower housing prices would be of a great advantage. The Cost of living calculators are pretty lame saying that for 95k in CT i would only need to make like 65k in orlando. Can that be accurate? Thanks in advance! you guys are great!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 AM

25 posts, read 64,804 times
For a difference of 5K and if you really want to live in Florida . .I'd do it in a heartbeat! I don't really think you'll be missing 5K a year, do you? Cost of living in Florida is comparably less expensive than Connecticut. BUT, that being said . . .I don't think I can live in Florida year round . . .Winter, yes . . .Summer, NO and I'd miss the Fall colors and the blooms in Spring . . .We are going down in October to look for a 2nd home to use primarily in the Winter months.

I'd also look outside of the Orlando area unless you like city life compared to suburban life . . .

Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Yes, move. You will not have state income taxes and I'm sure everything else tax wise will be cheaper. Housing will be cheaper. Your electricity bills may average out to be cheaper. Etcetera

Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
If you made $20,000 a year, yes a $5,000 cut would hurt. $100,000? Not so much.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:58 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
I currently work for a great company in CT making over a 100k a year and great benefits. However i have recently been offered 95k for a 100% remote position. I was thinking of Orlando. Do you think the cost of living difference in florida would make up for the decrease in salary I am making at my present position? I long for the sun! And I am still a believer in that the lower housing prices would be of a great advantage. The Cost of living calculators are pretty lame saying that for 95k in CT i would only need to make like 65k in orlando. Can that be accurate? Thanks in advance! you guys are great!
I just moved back to CT after being stuck in Orlando for 7 years. If you have a wife and kids, or ever plan on having kids, subtract at least 15,000 per year per child for private school.

Don't think for a nano second that the traditional public education system in FL is even remotely close to the level of what traditional public education in CT is. The only schools that are comparable are the crappy schools. Crap in crap out, whichever state you live in. But what is considered a great traditional public school in both states cannot be compared.

If working remote means you can move down to FL and then move back to CT while still having the same position, then at least you can go see for yourself and have an out if you need it.

While CT is expensive, 100K year is a decent salary, even for here (CT). If you are coming from Stamford, long term you may miss the culture and convenience of both southern Fairfield county and living so close to NYC. It took me 2 years to realize what a mistake I made.

JMHO.

Almost forgot... Another big difference.

Yale New Haven Hospital vs. ORMC\FL Hospital. I could write a book about the health care down there as compared to up here. Standard care is pretty decent, but start getting into very specialized fields such as pediatric rheumatology, pediatric endocrinology, clinical immunologists, etc.. and you start to see a huge difference. Just look up how many hospitals are highly ranked by U.S. news and world report to see what I mean. Being in the tri-state area gives you access to some of the best health care in the nation.

U.S. News Best Hospitals 2010-11

There is a "buzz", down there now with a new medical school for UCF and a "medical city". That is fine, but it is new and may take generations before the real fruits of this "medical city", come to fruition (if ever). And honestly, I wouldn't compare any med school in FL to any of the IVY med schools.

If you want some more information (both my opinion and facts), do a search of my previous posts. Also feel free to DM.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 AM

115 posts, read 319,209 times
Hello,

I know some people who dispise Orlando, yet others who absolutely love it. It's one of those cities that I have found that people have very strong feelings toward, whether good or bad. Having lived myself there for 2 years, I moved back to Melbourne because it was not my thing. Too many people, too much traffic, no breeze but crazy humidity, lots of crime unfortunately from personal experience, with a list that could go on and on. However, some people love larger cities ,love the city nightlife, they love the massive amounts of people, don't mind traffic, and actually like the heat. There are lots of things to do, and the skyline is beautiful.

As for your yearning for sun...Orlando def. has that covered. Storms come and go quickly. If it starts raining, don't be discouraged, because 45 minutes later it will be sunny again! However, keep in mind that it is very, very hot and humid. So much so that I would urge you to come down a few days and check it out for yourself. I'm a native Floridian off the Central East coast of Florida and I even find Orlando brutal by Fl standards. On the coast, we have a nice breeze! I am sure you will eventually get adjusted, just know that half of the year you feel icky and sweaty simply walking to your car. It literally takes about a minute outside to get that "I need a shower" gross feeling. Also, invest in some really good sunglasses!

I can't really see the cost of living being THAT much less than CT, but maybe? However, your costs of living will be considerably lower practically anywhere here in Florida. Living without a State income tax is nice. Just remember that there is quite a trade off - services lack greatly all throughout this state. Public transportation, roads, schools, etc. Coming from Conn., I am sure you are used to far better services. To an extent I agree with Markhunt... The public schools in Orange county lack most northeastern schools considerably. Florida doesn't seem to make education as much of a priority sadly. Education in Florida is severely underfunded and they place an absurd amount of their educational efforts into what we call "the FCAT". It's basically our version of a statewide standardized test for most grade levels, but half of a student's education is taken from them in preparation for a test that measures nothing of value. Really, its awful.

To make 95k in Orlando, you will be living upper-middle class. Living comfortably will be no problem at all on that salary. You will find that things such merchandise, clothes, food, etc will be much cheaper in Florida, including Orlando.

Also, do your research very well if you choose Orlando. You can go 1 mile down the road and go from a ritzy part of town, to a neighborhood that is known for its crime.

Well, let us know if you decide to make Orlando home! Best of luck! Any more questions feel free to ask!!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
Its very amusing to me that annagurl considers 95k a year "upper middle class" - I think it is quite safe to say 95k a year is upper class down here.

School is irrelevant, the whole world knows this - I have lots of friends that graduated with me and went on to Ivy Leagues and Public Ivy Leagues. I have friends that went to community college, then public Florida universities, and then went on to Harvard and Columbia for grad. People in my high school went to among other places: Duke, Harvard, MIT, West Point, Stanford, UPenn, Rice, Cornell, Notre Dame, Chapel Hill and those are just a few of my personal friends that I can remember or have kept in contact with. You do well in school and it doesn't really make a difference which system you're graduating from - its ****in high school, nobody cares in the long run if your diploma says Florida or Connecticut on it.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
My son is only in the third grade, I'm not too worried about where he will go once we get down there (well, as long as it's in a decent area). The schools can't do everything, they can't do the work for the kids. They lay the foundation and the rest is up to the child and his or her family.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,152,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
My son is only in the third grade, I'm not too worried about where he will go once we get down there (well, as long as it's in a decent area). The schools can't do everything, they can't do the work for the kids. They lay the foundation and the rest is up to the child and his or her family.
I agree with Ms. Obvious in that schools can't fix everything. To the OP, if you're making over 100k a year, send your kids to private schools. They have some great private schools in Central Florida.

As far as living standards, if you like 4 seasons, stay up north. If you like all year beach weather, come to Florida. The cheaper living expenses will easily cover the 5k difference or greater.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM

570 posts, read 1,152,939 times
Btw, I will never ever send my kids to publics schools in any city/county/state, not just C. FL. That's when I have kids of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando