U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:11 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,716,495 times

Advertisements

I think there are alot of ethnic tensions below the surface in Orlando.

One poster from the Dominican Republic was talking about being treated badly in Florida a while back. I can't speak to that, but I can say as a white person there are many areas of Orlando I go to and I feel like an alien in my own country. I've got nothing against hispanics who move to Florida, learn English, and integrate into the community. I have serious problems with people who come over here, wave around Puerto Rican flags, speak Spanish in situations where English might be more appropriate (una carniceria o una bodega- si, Autozone o Burger King, no), blast their "music" through their car stereos at 110 decibels, even if hey, maybe nobody else in traffic wants to hear it... it's ridiculous.

Our local homeowner's assosciation is dealing with some folks who have painted their house terracotta red and black. A few of the HOA board members are saying "alot of hispanics are moving into our neighborhood and we have to be inclusive"- it's about as ugly as an old-school Taco Bell or Chi-Chi's. I call BS on that one. The house is just plain ugly, the colors are not approved in the charter for the neighborhood and I can't believe so many homeowner's are caving into this. How much crap are they going to put up with? We've already got people blasting their stereos listening to rap, I guess reggatone will be next. Kids playing in the streets on skateboards (some at night, wearing black shirts, how F-ing stupid), riding bikes all over not looking out for any traffic (and not wearing any helmets), the neighborhood is going to the dogs. And our neighborhood has already been hit by a gang slashing every tire on cars parked in the street. Police haven't gotten back to any of us why this happened, other than they have hispanic suspects and were looking to press charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:16 AM

8,376 posts, read 20,574,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I think there are alot of ethnic tensions below the surface in Orlando.

One poster from the Dominican Republic was talking about being treated badly in Florida a while back. I can't speak to that, but I can say as a white person there are many areas of Orlando I go to and I feel like an alien in my own country. I've got nothing against hispanics who move to Florida, learn English, and integrate into the community. I have serious problems with people who come over here, wave around Puerto Rican flags, speak Spanish in situations where English might be more appropriate (una carniceria o una bodega- si, Autozone o Burger King, no), blast their "music" through their car stereos at 110 decibels, even if hey, maybe nobody else in traffic wants to hear it... it's ridiculous.

Our local homeowner's assosciation is dealing with some folks who have painted their house terracotta red and black. A few of the HOA board members are saying "alot of hispanics are moving into our neighborhood and we have to be inclusive"- it's about as ugly as an old-school Taco Bell or Chi-Chi's. I call BS on that one. The house is just plain ugly, the colors are not approved in the charter for the neighborhood and I can't believe so many homeowner's are caving into this. How much crap are they going to put up with? We've already got people blasting their stereos listening to rap, I guess reggatone will be next. Kids playing in the streets on skateboards (some at night, wearing black shirts, how F-ing stupid), riding bikes all over not looking out for any traffic (and not wearing any helmets), the neighborhood is going to the dogs. And our neighborhood has already been hit by a gang slashing every tire on cars parked in the street. Police haven't gotten back to any of us why this happened, other than they have hispanic suspects and were looking to press charges.

Skateboarding is a hispanic thing? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 AM

2,227 posts, read 5,891,259 times
get me out of orlando "por favor!!!"

Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 7,345,274 times
magnulus you say you having nothing against hispanics but you go ahead and make disparaging remarks about them. I happen to be hispanic & last time I checked this was a free country so what language I speak in public is nobody's concern except mine. If that makes you uncomfortable well that's your issue. You would think speaking multiple languages would be an asset but many Americans are so xenephobic they can't see straight when it comes to issues like language.

As for culture & flag waving why is waving a PR flag offensive yet we wave Irish flags on St. Patrick's Day and have parades? Is that equally offensive? By the way painting your house black & red is not a hispanic thing but one of taste and whites are just as guilty of bad taste as hispanics.....ever been to Bithlo?.....LOL.

Magnulus I'm not here to berate you but realize you are painting hispanics with one broad brush and you seem to have more of a problem with youths in your complaints.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 7,090,973 times
RACE RIOTS:

Come one come all, every night, every street in Orlando.

FREE ADMISSION!!

Please follow the directions and segregate yourselves into groupings based on the color of your skin. You need to bring your own chains, knives, and guns to the event. However, if you run out of ammo, or need a new blade, vendors will have booths where you can purchase additional supplies. Spectators, shop owners, vendors and nearby residents are encouraged to wear Kevlar vests with at least a threat level IV rating.

Just look for the TV ads and follow the signs to the main event. Mayor Dryer will make a guest appearance with Dick Crotty, Lou Pearman, John Gotti and Vincent Giancanna to engage in deal-making for the betterment of the community.

__________________________________________________ ______-

Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,707,022 times
I agree too, every job you go to almost 80% is hispanic and most of them are speaking spanglish. Anyway I like the diversity but sometimes it just gets a little annoying when your like the only white person in a store and all the spanish people looking at you. However there are many fine spanish ladies here and I am VERY grateful for that

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM

31 posts, read 139,272 times
I agree and it is very rude to speak in another language when other people who are present don't speak the language. It is also rude when you have lived here for more than five years and no speak the english! It is a slap in the face of all english speakers in this country; you might as well be saying, "*********, I'm not going to bother to learn your language, but I'll help myself to as many as your resources as I can!!"

Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM

96 posts, read 214,675 times
Smile Maybe the don't want you to listen to their conversations

Have you thought that maybe the don't want you to listen to their conversations

Yes I know it is rude, but hey its a free country. Now as for the flags, that does ticks me off, after all why are you here in the first place, right? It is just like that kid in school who refused to pledge allegiance to the flag (if you are not loyal to this flag which flag are you loyal to then? )

Also, you have to understand that most of these guys you mention are transplanted scum, and not necessarily a representation of what these cultures are really like. And if you your neighborhood is on the decline, it might be a good sign to leave to a better neighborhood, after all most places go through this changes, some for the best and some for the worst.

Good luck

..and I'm an immigrant by the way... and while I am proud of my heritage, I also respect the culture of my adopted nation (which since the beginning has been very nice and welcoming to me )

Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 AM

2,952 posts, read 237,289 times
I don't know about racial tension. I don't really see it. But I have noticed that most of the crime is black on black. This morning there was a drive by shooting in Pine Hills. A 16 year old girl was shot while holding her baby. The girl is in the trauma unit and the child is not hurt. The Grandmother stated she thinks it is a revenge crime against her son. . . There seems to be a lot of revenge shoots, drug related, and gang related shootings. But then again a man in Winter Park was robbed by 5 black teens this morning too. They were apprehended. It can all be found on this web site. . .

Orlando, Daytona Beach, Melbourne, Central Florida News, Weather and Traffic

Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 PM

27 posts, read 84,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I don't know about racial tension. I don't really see it. But I have noticed that most of the crime is black on black. This morning there was a drive by shooting in Pine Hills. A 16 year old girl was shot while holding her baby. The girl is in the trauma unit and the child is not hurt. The Grandmother stated she thinks it is a revenge crime against her son. . . There seems to be a lot of revenge shoots, drug related, and gang related shootings. But then again a man in Winter Park was robbed by 5 black teens this morning too. They were apprehended
What does that have to do with anything? And that girl with the baby was in Pine Hills. PINE HILLS!

We have crime in Orlando.. nothing new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando