Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 AM

570 posts, read 1,152,939 times

Advertisements

I believe we should for the sake of our loved ones and the future of Orlando.

Your thoughts?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 AM

114 posts, read 306,326 times
With all due respect me... Are you kidding me?

What interest is there in "cleaning up" Pine Hills?

The use of gentrification has to be be used very very wisely. And should be not use just for teh sake of using it.

For example, the Parramore area surrounds the Downtown area. Although gentrification of this area is somewhat controversial. It is very apparent that that city has a compelling interest in cleaning this area up. The cleaner Parramore is, the easier Orlando can attract different companies to the Downtown area. This is a good thing.

However, the Pine Hills area, although has crime issues, has many working families that just can't afford to move into another neighborhood. Also, what does the city gain by kicking out all these people and cleaning it up. Poor people need to live somewhere too.

By the way, Parramore is in worse state than Pine Hills. Way worse.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
With all due respect me... Are you kidding me?

What interest is there in "cleaning up" Pine Hills?

The use of gentrification has to be be used very very wisely. And should be not use just for teh sake of using it.

For example, the Parramore area surrounds the Downtown area. Although gentrification of this area is somewhat controversial. It is very apparent that that city has a compelling interest in cleaning this area up. The cleaner Parramore is, the easier Orlando can attract different companies to the Downtown area. This is a good thing.

However, the Pine Hills area, although has crime issues, has many working families that just can't afford to move into another neighborhood. Also, what does the city gain by kicking out all these people and cleaning it up. Poor people need to live somewhere too.

By the way, Parramore is in worse state than Pine Hills. Way worse.
I actually agree with this. Where I live in Rosemont is only a couple blocks out of Pine Hills. I love my neighborhood and the people in it. I have no fear what so ever to drive though Pine Hills as any time of day or night. I can't say the same for the Parramore area.
To quote a deputy that has worked and lived in this area for all of his life "Pine Hills is made of 95% good people and 5% bad and it's sad that the 5% get all the press."

Yes it is a lower income area but making a lower income isn't a crime.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 AM

I guess I should've said everything to the west of I-4 near Colonial. When I said Pine Hills I meant everything around the area.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 AM

Do you know how many residents of Pine Hills, that work legally at Disney, Universal, Hotels and restaurants?

A lot of these people come different countries (esp. Haiti) not speaking English and working their "butts" off.

And now gentrification is going to basically take away their homes, for the sake of our loved ones and the future of Orlando. "Loved ones" I don't know who these people are, they I am pretty sure they are okay where they presently are.

So when these residents of Pine Hills leave, where do you want them to go? Be honest in your response and say what you really feel.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
I guess I should've said everything to the west of I-4 near Colonial. When I said Pine Hills I meant everything around the area.
Wow... that COVERS more area than what I thought you initially meant.

Wow... are you serious?

What benefits does Orlando gain by doing this?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Do you know how many residents of Pine Hills, that work legally at Disney, Universal, Hotels and restaurants?

A lot of these people come different countries (esp. Haiti) not speaking English and working their "butts" off.

And now gentrification is going to basically take away their homes, for the sake of our loved ones and the future of Orlando. "Loved ones" I don't know who these people are, they I am pretty sure they are okay where they presently are.

So when these residents of Pine Hills leave, where do you want them to go? Be honest in your response and say what you really feel.
How many exactly? Do you have a figure or are you just assuming that the one person you know working legally at Disney, Universal, hotels, etc, is an ambassador of Pine Hills?

And those "JOBS" that people of different countries that can't speak English have legally or otherwise, why not give those jobs to AMERICANS? English speaking Americans.

If you want me to be honest, I'll say that I don't really care where these people go. If you want me to liberal and lovey-dovey, I wish them the best in Miami or Jacksonville.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
How many exactly? Do you have a figure or are you just assuming that the one person you know working legally at Disney, Universal, hotels, etc, is an ambassador of Pine Hills?

And those "JOBS" that people of different countries that can't speak English have legally or otherwise, why not give those jobs to AMERICANS? English speaking Americans.

If you want me to be honest, I'll say that I don't really care where these people go. If you want me to liberal and lovey-dovey, I wish them the best in Miami or Jacksonville.
Okay.... now we are getting somewhere.

1. You still have not answered the question, who are the beneficiaries you call "loved ones" and "future". Who are these people? And why should the city of Orlando do this for them.

2. These "immigrants" are not sitting in an office and attending board meetings. They are doing low level work such as house-keeping and janitorial services.

I would assume that an employer such as Disney, when selecting employees for these types of job, wants someone who WANTS to work and IS willing.

I would be hard pressed to imagine, that Disney actually cares, whether the employee can speak English or is American.

With that said, Disney is hiring APPLICANTS. Applicants are people that seek for work. So this notion that Disney is not hiring Americans, to do these low level jobs is actually Disney-like, because it sounds like a fairy-tale.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Wow... that COVERS more area than what I thought you initially meant.

Wow... are you serious?

What benefits does Orlando gain by doing this?
You know EXACTLY the areas west of I-4 that I'm talking about, you probably live there.

And what benefits does Orlando gain? Hmm let's see, crime goes down in one of the fastest growing cities in America. More legitimate housing, businesses, and less criminals.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
You know EXACTLY the areas west of I-4 that I'm talking about, you probably live there.

And what benefits does Orlando gain? Hmm let's see, crime goes down in one of the fastest growing cities in America. More legitimate housing, businesses, and less criminals.
I probably live there.

That's cute.

What does legitimate housing mean? Educate me please.

Let's say you believe that all the SCUM of Orlando reside in the areas West of I-4.

And let's say that the city decides to "clean it up" by purchasing the houses at fair value and allow Starbucks to put a store at every corner.

Now, you have a bunch of criminals looking for places to stay. Again, I am using your train of thought.

These "criminals" are only going to go to another part of Orlando.

So what do you do then? In fact, let's say 1/4 of them go East. Another 1/4 go North and another 1/4 go South.

Oh my gosh, these people are everywhere.

What are you going to do then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando