Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:07 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,159 times

Advertisements

I talked to a state of Florida engineer about a year ago when I was researching the sink hole problem in Orlando. He was very helpful and talked about my choices where to live. He said the Tampa area was the worse off for water. Jacksonville had "salt water intrusion" because of over building. He said Orlando was a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 PM

72 posts, read 177,399 times
The quick answer is that Tampa is a loosing population due to the fact that it is and always be a retirement haven. Orlando is a young city that is attracting new businesses new people and has a younger pop. base than Tampa also we are adding a new metro rail system that will be up and running in the next few years. The only problem is that we only have one pro sports team but I have the feeling that within the next 10 years this will change... Sry Tampa, Orlando is the best option in the state of Florida.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,033 times
Hyde Park is nice and similar to Thornton Park, but having stayed there and partied there, it is not Thornton Park. It's a very lively nightspot but it's nearly as lively or livable during daytime hours. Most of the nightlife is college students and young people from outside the area, more Orange ave than Thornton Park. TP is more heavily influenced by actual residents. I've been to Old Hyde Park village which seems like it has great potential but the new strip is where everything is at now. Hyde Park could be great with just a few minor tweaks, sidewalks, pedestrian friendliness and more daytime allure.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:03 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbiddle87 View Post
The quick answer is that Tampa is a loosing population due to the fact that it is and always be a retirement haven. Orlando is a young city that is attracting new businesses new people and has a younger pop. base than Tampa also we are adding a new metro rail system that will be up and running in the next few years. The only problem is that we only have one pro sports team but I have the feeling that within the next 10 years this will change... Sry Tampa, Orlando is the best option in the state of Florida.

Tampa is NOT losing population. WTF

Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Tampa is NOT losing population. WTF
And not only that it is NOT and never has been a "retirement haven" ! Double WTF......

Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,033 times
I think the poster may have confused with Pinellas county across the bay. Pinellas did in fact lose population in the last census and was formerly a retirement area. However, Pinellas is also one of the densest counties in Florida and is for the most part, fully developed. Therefore with more empty nesters, households that once were 4 or more are now 2. I think this would be one reason to account for the loss as the area still is very desirable.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

I just read an article the other day talking about that in the next 25 years that Tampa is going to take a hit due to the fact that the young pros and businesses are choosing to move to Miami and Orlando metro areas vs the tampa bay metro area also Tampas % of residents over 65 is at 20% and Orlando is 10% the average age in Orlando is 33 Tampa is 41. Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbiddle87 View Post
I just read an article the other day talking about that in the next 25 years that Tampa is going to take a hit due to the fact that the young pros and businesses are choosing to move to Miami and Orlando metro areas vs the tampa bay metro area also Tampas % of residents over 65 is at 20% and Orlando is 10% the average age in Orlando is 33 Tampa is 41. Don't shoot the messenger.
Tampa (City) and Tampa Bay Metro are two different things. You cant say Tampa is losing population if you meant the Bay Area. Pinellas County is the only place that has lost population in the Bay area, the rest of Tampa Bay seems to be doing just fine, and there is a more "Aldult" and "laidBack" atmosphere about Tampa than Orlando and Miami so of course "Young" professionals would not chose Tampa first, but it's still a growing city.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:55 PM

Yes I am talking about metro pop. So that will encompass Pinellas county, why is it that that one county is looseing population?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 690 times
which is good orlando villas to rent or tampa I really know nothing about surrounding areas of Tampa and Orlando. please help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando