Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for 29 years and NEVER had any issues with crime nor do I personally know anyone who has. I know there is crime but the greatest majority of it happens within certain groups of people and certain sections of town. It CAN happen in the best of neighborhoods but then it is usually violence within a family, husband/wife, etc.

I have lived in Winter Park, south Orlando and currently east Orlando near the Vista Lakes/Lake Nona area. It is VERY quiet and peaceful here. I looked at the crime map a few days ago and could count on my hand the crime (mostly theft from unlocked vehicles) that has happened anywhere near me for the entire year. I can leave anything outside and it is never touched.

I drive anywhere in town I want to in the daytime. There are a couple of areas I would not drive alone at night. I shop at all hours and have been known to Christmas shop at Walmart at 2:00 AM. I am not stupid or careless. I am aware of my surroundings if I'm out that late and alone. I have my keys ready, wait to walk out with a group and walk quickly and purposefully to my car, fully aware of what or who is around me. I would do the same ANYWHERE in the US.

I have friends in the local media and know how hungry they are to be the first to air a story. According to my sources in the media, they are more far more likely to over sensationalize a story than they are to keep it quiet. Disney, of course, is an exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Orlando seems to be getting better the last few yrs. Either 2006 or 2007 was BAD. The problem is in Orlando, it just seemed like crime could happen anywhere, even in nice areas. Avalon Park and Waterford Lakes had WAY more crime than you'd think. It looks nice and then your neighbor's car gets stolen or there's helicopters hovering over your subdivision. It was eye opening how often we saw cops and helicopters. I think it has a lot to do with the population drawn to a place like Orlando. I'm not trying to bash the place, I'm telling you how I honestly feel and see things. Orlando draws a certain demographic and mentality that Miami seems to, in a way. And this tends to bring the crime and the behavior you see a lot (or I saw). As far as a hard-working American family with 2 incomes, middle class, with 2 kids and a dog... there's a lot better options (imo) to raise a family. Why live in Orlando if you can live in Cary, NC? Just an example.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM

33 posts, read 92,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Why live in Orlando if you can live in Cary, NC? Just an example.
Because I'm not 60.

Orlando is a great city with tons of entertainment options and fun to be had. Unless you live in the ghetto, which it sounds like you must have, there are plenty of perfectly safe neighborhoods a short drive away from loads of excitement and world-class destinations.

What in the world is there to do of interest in Cary, NC?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I agree about the helicopters. When I first moved to Orlando in 1996 I thought I was in the middle of Boyz in the Hood. Amazing.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Disney is horrible about covering up the crime that goes on there, and a good portion of Florida does the same, including Orlando. After the jackings of tourists in Miami a couple of decades ago, where tourism dropped like a rock, everyone has learned their lesson.

Crime rate down or up, Orlando is a high-crime city. Period.
Actually crime at Disney is reported when someone is charged just like anywhere else is in Florida. They even have deputies at all the parks for security to call in on when needed. I know my son is on first name basis with deputies stationed at his park because he calls them in on a regular basis. Every arrest or ticket does not make it to the news paper or TV though unless news is slow elsewhere.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,278 times
Orlando is awesome, great food, shopping, etc. The problem is the type of ppl Orlando has been attracting the last 10yrs or so due to its expansion and we're seeing the results of that.

I wish we could pass laws that prohibit convicted felons and repeat offenders from legally residing in this city and the surrounding areas. If you look at crime majority of it is committed by ppl with prior records.

Moderator cut: wrong forum for this comment

Last edited by Granny Sue; 08-31-2010 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
If you don't want to carry a gun you can at least carry Mace when you are walking around at night in a park. It's enough to take care of someone that at least doesn't have a gun.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
Orlando is awesome, great food, shopping, etc. The problem is the type of ppl Orlando has been attracting the last 10yrs or so due to its expansion and we're seeing the results of that.

I wish we could pass laws that prohibit convicted felons and repeat offenders from legally residing in this city and the surrounding areas. If you look at crime majority of it is committed by ppl with prior records.

Moderator cut: wrong forum for this comment

Orlando has lots of pros and cons, but you hit the nail on teh head with this one. I've said time and time again that Orlando certainly attracts a different crowd/demographic.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I agree with the people who are a little more positive about Orlando. It has it's bad areas, just as ALL cities do. It has random crime in better areas you don't expect, just as ALL cities do. But to feel unsafe between home, work, etc. has never been an issue for me and I do work late nights sometimes. I had a coworker who was mugged at the Publix shopping center downtown on Colonial, but this could happen in any city. Life is life.

I will say my car has been hit twice while parked in a large parking lot...so I'm more concerned with the drivers than the crime group.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM

47 posts, read 171,180 times
I do not know the area you are at, but coming from a small city in Ohio, I can tell you that they have all the negatives that have been spoke of on the news here also. There were times I felt unsafe, and it was a very small area. This stuff happens all over the place, I wouldn't worry too much about it because you will live your life worrying. My parents didn't want us to move down here due to the crime and such, but then I keep pointing out the shooting in our area or the car wrecks in our area or thefts. I think they got the point. Don't worry, just live life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando