Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times

Advertisements

I am curious...I see a lot of very old, sometimes tattered homes sitting next to nicer homes around Thornton Park. I also see some homes that look downright out of place. Seems like a patchwork mix. There is still a lot of undeveloped land around the South Eola area...just open lots with overgrown grass where condo projects were planned but never panned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 63,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I am curious...I see a lot of very old, sometimes tattered homes sitting next to nicer homes around Thornton Park. I also see some homes that look downright out of place. Seems like a patchwork mix. There is still a lot of undeveloped land around the South Eola area...just open lots with overgrown grass where condo projects were planned but never panned out.
Good Question, I was just wondering the same thing a few weeks back. Maybe someone has some historical facts or pics. Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
most of the lots with overgrown grass used to have older homes on them. The developers bought the homes, razed them, but than never built the condos.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
I have lived in Thornton Park for 26 years and it has changed from a low- to medium-income family area to an expensive higher income area inhabited by mostly adults. There are, of course, some of the older, lower-cost homes still left here. This diversity is what makes it an interesting location, perfect for people- watching and walking to the park for the large variety of festivals and art shows. Part of the city atmosphere is that they also feed the homeless in Lake Eola Park. If it were not for the different, totally diverse people and activities, it would just be a dull, small town like it used to be.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
I used to live on East Washington with a bunch of roomies back in the mid 80's. The neighborhood has always had good bones, but the changes to me are nothing short of amazing.

The 7-11 on Summerlin back then was sketchy as hell. The little commercial district where the fountain is in the center of the street was dominated by a questionable bar - populated mostly by lowlifes, a cheesy storefront church and a laundromat. There were quite a few rooming houses, homes that needed a lot of work, etc. It was never really that scary or dangerous, but it was light years away from what we see now. Of course, there have always been very nice houses scattered around the neighborhood, but nothing approaching today's level.

As a pretty well-traveled guy, I personally consider it to be one of THE most successful turnaround stories of an urban neighborhood in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando