U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
 
Location: los angeles/florida
485 posts, read 1,526,829 times
Reputation: 262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Not to mention its health benefits or its better impact on the environment...
Exactly!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
 
42 posts, read 150,345 times
Reputation: 15
Everyone thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. It sounds like College Park, Thorton Park, etc keep coming up. I'm really looking forward to checking them out. I have to apologize about categorizing myself and stereotyping people. Of course I dont need to live where only liberals live. How would I ever survive? I just feel on city-data you need to say your "cores" so people get an understanding of where youre coming from. I'm also paranoid after my experience here in Charleston.

Now one last question: does anyone have any Realtors they suggest for the areas mentioned? I, of course, can find one, but if any of you had an awesome experience with one please feel free to send their name over this way! I've been really impressed with the prices despite what many have said. I'm from the Jersey Shore and it's hard to get a studio within walking distance to restaurants for less than 500k. Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to running in to you!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL
2,160 posts, read 4,356,653 times
Reputation: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsMcL View Post
Everyone thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. It sounds like College Park, Thorton Park, etc keep coming up. I'm really looking forward to checking them out. I have to apologize about categorizing myself and stereotyping people. Of course I dont need to live where only liberals live. How would I ever survive? I just feel on city-data you need to say your "cores" so people get an understanding of where youre coming from. I'm also paranoid after my experience here in Charleston.

Now one last question: does anyone have any Realtors they suggest for the areas mentioned? I, of course, can find one, but if any of you had an awesome experience with one please feel free to send their name over this way! I've been really impressed with the prices despite what many have said. I'm from the Jersey Shore and it's hard to get a studio within walking distance to restaurants for less than 500k. Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to running in to you!
You can find houses and 2-bedroom condos in Thornton Park within very short walking distance to everything for around half that, give or take.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 PM
 
51 posts, read 143,604 times
Reputation: 15
Choosing to eat vegetarian is a religious, or personal choice on political or moral grounds but not necessarily a wise decision for optimum health. I am sensitive to it because my Vegan best friend refused to listen to Gary Taubes or some of the researchers out there touting switching to real foot or going Paleo. And my friend was stuck with "diseases of civilization" including leaky gut, irritable bowel syndrome etc. I tried to point out the dangers of overdoing soy protein (especially for men) and relying on grains for nutrition but it mostly fell on deaf ears. Now our other friends can't understand why someone who made all the "right" choices is having health issues. Gee, I wonder why... Look I don't begrudge Hindus, or Animal lovers their right to skip meat, eat all the grains you wish, but I think you come off as basically saying "we only want to live amongst the truly enlightened".

Most of us in the tech business work with vegetarians everyday and I get along quite well with them even if most of my daily intake isn't something they would be caught dead eating. If I know there is going to be a lunch planned at a more vegatarian place, I don't skip it, I just supplement with some red meat or eggs in the break room fridge without offending my co-workers.

Maybe the reason it ticked me off is the double-standard...that if someone came on said "where can I live to be near mostly educated white-folks, where should I go" I don't think the question would be well-received. However choosing to live away from the meat-eating, mouth breathing social, conservative meat-eaters, that is apparently a worthy pursuit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 AM
 
Location: los angeles/florida
485 posts, read 1,526,829 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffBaseball View Post
Choosing to eat vegetarian is a religious, or personal choice on political or moral grounds but not necessarily a wise decision for optimum health. I am sensitive to it because my Vegan best friend refused to listen to Gary Taubes or some of the researchers out there touting switching to real foot or going Paleo. And my friend was stuck with "diseases of civilization" including leaky gut, irritable bowel syndrome etc. I tried to point out the dangers of overdoing soy protein (especially for men) and relying on grains for nutrition but it mostly fell on deaf ears. Now our other friends can't understand why someone who made all the "right" choices is having health issues. Gee, I wonder why... Look I don't begrudge Hindus, or Animal lovers their right to skip meat, eat all the grains you wish, but I think you come off as basically saying "we only want to live amongst the truly enlightened".

Most of us in the tech business work with vegetarians everyday and I get along quite well with them even if most of my daily intake isn't something they would be caught dead eating. If I know there is going to be a lunch planned at a more vegatarian place, I don't skip it, I just supplement with some red meat or eggs in the break room fridge without offending my co-workers.

Maybe the reason it ticked me off is the double-standard...that if someone came on said "where can I live to be near mostly educated white-folks, where should I go" I don't think the question would be well-received. However choosing to live away from the meat-eating, mouth breathing social, conservative meat-eaters, that is apparently a worthy pursuit.
Hmmm, I think you are making this out to be a much bigger issue than it actually is. I am a vegetarian because I love animals and I don't believe in taking their lives to satisfy a craving. It is a well-known fact that vegetarianism is a healthy way of life, but that isn't the reason I don't eat meat. Some vegetarians and vegans discriminate against meat-eaters I suppose, but my husband is a carnivore so I'm not among them. Of course I would LOVE if he stopped eating meat, but I would never force him to. In fact, most of the people I love eat meat, and I don't hold that against them.

To the OP- best of luck on your move!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Orlando Metro Area
3,581 posts, read 5,818,757 times
Reputation: 2330
I grew up in the Orlando suburbs and had neighbors who were black, Hispanic, white, Indian, Asian, Catholic, Baptist, Jewish, Muslim, and atheist. Politics are one thing, but I've always felt that Florida has a government that doesn't truly reflect it's citizens. After all, the majority of folks move here from blue states, but then fail to get involved so our government defaults to Tallahassee, Georgia. Socially, the transient nature of the area really dominates daily life here and I personally wouldn't bat an eye at an interracial gay couple with a transsexual child. I know that's an extreme but when you live in a place that sees 52 million people a year stop in for a vacation, being prejudice and judgmental doesn't work very well for you. Actually back in HS my mom took me back to see the "block" she grew up on in Chicago, it was now all white (Polish). Then the old church she went to was on a black block, then we passed into a Hispanic block before returning to another white block. All in all, I found Chicago's neighborhoods to be more segregated than what I was used to in Orlando.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,739 posts, read 12,409,560 times
Reputation: 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I grew up in the Orlando suburbs and had neighbors who were black, Hispanic, white, Indian, Asian, Catholic, Baptist, Jewish, Muslim, and atheist. Politics are one thing, but I've always felt that Florida has a government that doesn't truly reflect it's citizens. After all, the majority of folks move here from blue states, but then fail to get involved so our government defaults to Tallahassee, Georgia. Socially, the transient nature of the area really dominates daily life here and I personally wouldn't bat an eye at an interracial gay couple with a transsexual child. I know that's an extreme but when you live in a place that sees 52 million people a year stop in for a vacation, being prejudice and judgmental doesn't work very well for you. Actually back in HS my mom took me back to see the "block" she grew up on in Chicago, it was now all white (Polish). Then the old church she went to was on a black block, then we passed into a Hispanic block before returning to another white block. All in all, I found Chicago's neighborhoods to be more segregated than what I was used to in Orlando.
Orlando's neighborhoods are really not segregated at all. The exception is Orlando's old neighborhoods. College, Thornton, and Audubon Park are mostly white, Parramore and Pine Hills is mostly African American, Azalea Park and Kissimmee is mostly hispanic. While these few areas do represent large portions of Orlando's populations the metro area is by no means segregated

BTW I was going to rep you about Tallahassee, Georgia but I need to spread the love. It is surprising to me how so many folks from blue states move to Florida but decide not to get politically involved. Though I think those blue folks want to keep a lot of red's policies kinda like a "Keep Florida Cheap" sort of thing. Had they gotten involved, I think Florida would have gone democratic and become more taxed and expensive a LONG time ago
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
 
10,576 posts, read 10,796,398 times
Reputation: 5220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
BTW I was going to rep you about Tallahassee, Georgia but I need to spread the love. It is surprising to me how so many folks from blue states move to Florida but decide not to get politically involved. Though I think those blue folks want to keep a lot of red's policies kinda like a "Keep Florida Cheap" sort of thing. Had they gotten involved, I think Florida would have gone democratic and become more taxed and expensive a LONG time ago
Bingo. That's one of the appealing things for certain metro areas in FL as well as places like Austin TX and parts of NC. You get the cheaper COL and taxation compared to the north with a socially diverse population. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,739 posts, read 12,409,560 times
Reputation: 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Bingo. That's one of the appealing things for certain metro areas in FL as well as places like Austin TX and parts of NC. You get the cheaper COL and taxation compared to the north with a socially diverse population. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative
Ah one of the things that makes Florida great. The diverse population of northern states, yet still with the cost of living of a southern red state.

One reason why Orlando is great.

Las Vegas is the same. A socially diverse population with fiscally conservative politics
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 PM
 
1,377 posts, read 3,728,051 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
A socially diverse population with fiscally conservative politics
LMAO!! fiscally conservative politics, Orlando??? LOLOLOL!! What planet are you living on?!


Multi-Million Dollar Fire Station Opens - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Yet, they INCREASE the toll roads, since everyone figures out a way to avoid them, then when they're all paid for, they build MORE!!!

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...members-crotty

Not to mention the MAYOR is on the board who approves these toll hikes. Yep, Orlando sure is a fiscally conservative town.(sarcasm)

Or, how about Mildred Fernandez being arrested for her "fiscally conservative" mindset. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ilding-project

Last edited by **NoodLes**; 09-22-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top