Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think it depends on where you end up living--it's my observation that the more affluent your community, the more liberal it tends to be.
Socially liberal, yes. Fiscally liberal, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
I agree. That describes me well. Live and let live, as long as you aren't trying to pay for it out of my pocket.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree. That describes me well. Live and let live, as long as you aren't trying to pay for it out of my pocket.

As for the OP, I agree with other comments here regarding the neighborhoods in and around downtown as being the best for what you are looking for. Thorton park, College park, and baldwin park would be good. If you can afford it, Winter Park has some nice liberal elements to it. Dr Phillips also has a more liberal feel with a few healthfood/organic stores and a small farmer's market on saturdays.

I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Orlando definitely fits the bill if you live in the right neighborhoods.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsMcL View Post
Hi Again!

I've decided to move to Orlando from Charleston, SC. This city is proving to be way too conservative for what I'm used to (originally from the Jersey Shore). I have heard/read both negative and positive things about Orlando, but I'm aware that every city will have its ups and downs, lovers and haters. The grass is, after all, always greener on the other side

Anyway, I would like some input on the suburbs of Orlando. When I say suburbs, I mean even Lake Mary and Titusville. I do not care about being close to the city, as I dont work there. I would just like to be in that location in Florida. With that being said, does anyone have any suggestions on "open minded" towns? I dont need radical liberals like Seattle, of course, but I know Florida still has some "Southern charm" that I'd like to NOT be in. I have enough of the charm here in Charleston I'm really just looking for a normal town where you can be any race/religion and people wont judge you.

To give you an idea about me: I'm a vegetarian, animal activist. I recycle, eat my granola and I'm NOT religious. I dont need to be in an area where this is the majority. However, I would like to not be singled out if I dont go to church every Sunday. A normal town with a "live and let live" kind of feel is great! My budget is around 250K, and of course, a great school district would be a huge plus (but not necessary as I am single and kids are pretty far down the road).

Thanks guys!!
I wouldnt consider Titusville to be a suburb of Orlando, for the record

Orlando proper and Orange County as a whole have become increasingly democratic since 2000. The city of Orlando is lead by mostly democrats, and Orange County is run mainly by Republicans (though that is changing since Rich Crotty cant run this year)

Areas around downtown Orlando are good. College Park, Thornton Park, Audubon Park, Colonialtown, among others. Winter Park and Maitland strike me as good choices as well. There are several other areas that are strongly democratic, but they are not desirable areas

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Most of Orlando and its suburbs are socially liberal. Even the politically conservative areas. I don't think there is any place in the metro where people would gasp if you had a gay or black friend.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffBaseball View Post
Hrm I am a complete Carnivore who tries to eat exclusively beef, with the occasional salad or broccoli.

Technically my way of eating is just as "fad" as vegetarian, but I don't feel the need to go on boards hoping I'll be accepted because I might not want to eat grains or apple pie. Now I'll say that being a carnivore can sometimes lead to awkward social settings, but so what, this is a way of eating I've chosen and need to live with that decision. Occasionally I have to say no to pizza or thai food trips at work....Though I am all over trips to BubbaLoos.

These are the kind of posts I just don't get, don't you enjoy being challenged by someone who thinks differently than you? I've made this choice for myself based on the most recent research and how awesome it makes me feel, yet the common man following the govt. food pyramid probably thinks I am idiot. So what?? I can't imagine getting on a board and asking if a certain town will accept my way of eating.
Man, you are sad! We aren't vegetarians because it is the latest "fad." We choose not to eat meat because we love animals and don't agree with the idea of taking their lives so we can eat. It's a way of life and a belief system, not a trend. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and I'm far, far from malnourished and starving!

To the OP- I agree with the areas that everyone else listed. My husband and I yo-yo between Orlando and Los Angeles and as a liberal vegetarian, I never felt out of place in Orlando. We even spent some time in small Mount Dora and I never felt out of place there - but wow, where the people nosy! I would definitely prefer to live in Orlando over the surrounding small towns. Best of luck on your move!

Check this place out - it looks really cool! I haven't been there yet, but I want to go soon:

http://dandelioncommunitea.com/

Old 09-20-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Man, you are sad! We aren't vegetarians because it is the latest "fad." We choose not to eat meat because we love animals and don't agree with the idea of taking their lives so we can eat. It's a way of life and a belief system, not a trend. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and I'm far, far from malnourished and starving!
Not to mention its health benefits or its better impact on the environment...

Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
I agree with the others...with your mentality the core would be so much more fitting than the outer suburbs. What is your aversion to downtown? The core Orlando neighborhoods College Park, Thornton Park, Delaney Park/SoDo, Colonialtown, Audubon Park...anywhere in this vicinity all have a varied mix of people old and young, and from many different backgrounds. Keep in mind Orlando's downtown is not urban or gritty like other major metros, and is not really any more congested traffic-wise than all but the far out suburbs. It is not, however, a wide-open feel like suburbs have. The neighborhoods surrounding downtown have a historic suburban feel, older homes, beautiful old trees on quiet streets, but many small "main street" strips nearby that have shops, restaurants, and bars that cater to different crowds. It's somewhat trendy without being too uppity. It would be a mistake to not consider it...there are many affordable homes in these areas right now, but you definitely won't get a "McMansion" for your dollar there.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Most of Orlando and its suburbs are socially liberal. Even the politically conservative areas. I don't think there is any place in the metro where people would gasp if you had a gay or black friend.
It really depends on the people you know. Orlando doesn't strike me as either liberal nor conservative. More as a middle of the road place

Orlando has a very large gay population as well as a large black population, that is nothing new. Racial and social diversity is not a bad thing.

Im proud to have grown up in Orlando and have met and made friends, and dated people of all different colors.

It is amazing how many interracial couples you will see when you go out. Go to Waterford Lakes, The FLA Mall, Downtown Orlando on any given Friday or Saturday night, they're everywhere. And most folks don't seem to have a problem with it or make any objections. Most girls I dated when I lived in Orlando were hispanic, usually Puerto Rican and my parents were always welcoming and accepting whenever I brought a girl home. Her family was usually the same

Long live Orlando's diversity

Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Long live Orlando's diversity

There also large asian and indian populations here as well, with great cuisine to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando