Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 02:43 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times

Advertisements

just a couple things i noticed:

traffic seemed better up there... less running of red lights and honking. more nascar bumperstickers on vehicles. friendlier environment, but i dont know if it was THAT much friendlier, but this was based on a very short weekend trip. nobody came up to me and just assumed i spoke spanish which was nice. ponte vedra was really nice and overall, i think it is a step up from orlando. just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
I always got the same impression.... Liked the J'Ville area more than Orlando, but from the same perspective (living in Orlando and visiting Jax area).

Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 PM

i have friends up there, and they confirmed my thoughts. they are also ex-orlando'ans. i was trying not to tick anyone off by my comments, so i kept them mild. but overall, friendlier, more sense of community, better drivers, etc... based on my short visit though.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 AM

239 posts, read 799,469 times
Default South

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i have friends up there, and they confirmed my thoughts. they are also ex-orlando'ans. i was trying not to tick anyone off by my comments, so i kept them mild. but overall, friendlier, more sense of community, better drivers, etc... based on my short visit though.

It's more of the "South" up there. Not always a bad thing!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
I have to admit, I like the southern feel of Jacksonville - it's the only place in the state I'd consider moving to. But, if you stay there long enough, you will see that it has some substantial trashy areas. Still, overall, I do like Jacksonville.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM

what areas are trashy? do you mean the ghetto areas, or places that are safe are still trashy, even if they are in a good area? i wasnt super-crazy about jax bch., but it seemed decent. i like going to the beach, but i dont know about living in jax bch b/c of all the motels and gas stations... similar to cocoa bch and daytona. maybe more inland is better cosmetically.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
Ya, Jax has some pretty big ghetto areas north of the city. Also, I remember Jax beach being sort of trashy, but that's a long time ago. I haven't been to Jax beach in years to be fair, and I do know that the beaches north and south of there are pretty nice. But, like I said, overall, I like Jacksonville.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 PM

56 posts, read 402,078 times
I almost went to law school at Florida Coastal in Jax, so I was up there a few times and kinda liked it. Everything seemed newer, nicer, cleaner...at least in Southside and Baymeadows. However, if you go to west or north Jax, that's not the case. Traffic was much better than in Orlando. However, if you're a liberal Democrat like me, you'll feel like a fish outta water as downtown Jax is run by the Southern Baptists and the suburbs are pro-Bush, pro-Republican, and pro-conservative. Folks seemed nice overall but depending on your political ideology, it may be a perfect fit or an awkward one.

I always found Jacksonville to be Orlando...minus the theme parks, and Atlanta...minus the culture. Take it as you read it.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 PM

imo, jax>orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando