U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 AM

38 posts, read 93,228 times

Advertisements

idr591 when i look on realtor.com all the areas you've suggested seem way out of our price range. I'm not sure we could afford to buy in that area. Plus the homes seem smaller. We'd like minimum 1500 sq ft. Right now we have a 1000 sq. ft. home and paid over 200 so, we are really wanting more space in our next home.

Actually, on a second look, I think I may have been looking in the wrong area...Is 32804 the college park area you're referring to? Do you happen to know the zip codes for the other areas?

Last edited by Marie001; 09-23-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 AM

968 posts, read 1,327,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie001 View Post
idr591 when i look on realtor.com all the areas you've suggested seem way out of our price range. I'm not sure we could afford to buy in that area. Plus the homes seem smaller. We'd like minimum 1500 sq ft. Right now we have a 1000 sq. ft. home and paid over 200 so, we are really wanting more space in our next home.

Actually, on a second look, I think I may have been looking in the wrong area...Is 32804 the college park area you're referring to? Do you happen to know the zip codes for the other areas?
Price per square foot is actually much higher in Winter Park in my experience. College park would be 32804; concentrate on the streets with college names around Edgewater. Thornton Park is just east of downtown and is 32801. Delaney Park is 32806 and is just south of downtown. All of these areas (including winter park) are going to be more expensive than the outlying burbs, but are well worth it for quality of life in my opinion.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,360,072 times
You should also look in Maitland 32751, but east of Orlando Ave or around Lake Sybelia area to the west of it. If you want a large, new property you are going to have to go further north to Lake Mary. The other suburbs in between these areas are not as nice.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 PM

10 posts, read 10,150 times
lol we moved down here from Kirkhood too. Still looking for that style, like east Atlanta. Haven't found it yet though.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 AM

anjaandlius where did you decide to settle in Orlando?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
All of winter park is not nice. Some areas are downright bad. You want to stay in 32789 and even some parts of 32789 are questionable.
idr591: Has WP become that bad? It used to be that even most of 32792 (unincorporated WP, I know) was half way decent for the most part.

I plan on moving back home (Orlando area) in 2011 or early 2012.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie001 View Post
anjaandlius where did you decide to settle in Orlando?
We did exactly what you are doing now, research and try to land somewhere that would feel like home. We eventually decided that due to time restraints we would simply move somewhere safe and very close to work. So we picked Lake Nona even though it isn't what we like in a neighborhood. It doesn't feel like home but it has it interesting points and some odd little sub-divisions with parks in or around them. Needless to say we haven't settled anywhere yet and are currently looking at homes in many of the neighborhoods mentioned above.

Orlando is young, the people are nice and once you get over the fact that some things just aren't here you will get your groove. For example forget the Dekalb farmers market or any of the ones in Chamblee. The markets here are smaller but that kind of makes them nice too.

You probably wont like Nona (more nature), or Dr.Phillips (super polished) even though the areas are very nice and beautifully kept.

We miss Grant Park and hanging out in oakhurst....

ill find new places here

your best bet is Winter Park if you like Decatur..
or Thornton Park. The later is my fav so far...

Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 PM

We live very close to Oakhurst and can walk to the village, and the dog park, which is great. And Dekalb farmers market is where I do my weekly shopping. Not sure how I will handle not having it nearby! But I am originally from Jax, FL so I know we won't find the little neighborhoods in FL like we have here. But I can't wait to have more choices in schools and a safer neighborhood, and the beach...not to mention cleaner air to breath in the summer! If we need to move into the burbs a little bit, then I'm okay with that. Just as long as the places we want to go for fun are a short drive, which, as you know, short drives anywhere doesn't exist here in ATL!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Ditto...we couldn't agree with you more. We like it here and life is a series of adjustments...

we've even debated moving to a beach community like Cocoa or Melbourne.
We will just have to check it out.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,453 times
Check out Winter Garden and surrounding area as well. We left Casselberry to be here and even turned down Lake Mary. We really like it! New home, great subdivision, lots of amenities, close to good roads for getting just about anywhere (yes, we use toll roads), it's actually pretty - lots of trees, water, some rolling hills (heh, I'm from the Canadian Rockies so I use the term hill very loosely, but it's not completely flat - we live atop a hill!)

What sold us was being able to be in a great suburb with more square footage and great yard, close to plenty of activities, a short drive from downtown Winter Garden and Winter Garden Village. We prefer newer homes though, many prefer older homes. And we wanted a yard and some quiet. And we felt that we could get more bang for our buck outside of Winter Park, Casselberry, Altamonte, Thornton, College Park.

FWIW, we didn't look into schools at all because we already know where our kids will go to school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or