Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The jobs are there ? Could be ... but what kind of jobs ? Servers, cashiers, lawn maintenance ... how many professional jobs are out of there ? Tell some of the laid-off engineers that they should go mow lawns or wash dishes ... sure it's better than nothing, but wouldn't they be better off moving to an area with more professional opportunities ? Tell some of the IT workers with 25 years experience who were replaced by H-1B via workers that there are jobs. Once again, wouldn't it better to relocate to Boston/Raleigh/DC than wait tables ? A lot of those people have your 1st (3) qualifications and most have even the networking piece. But those out of work do not control the corporate purse strings ... and most families cannot survive on what you call "good money" !
Those jobs still exist, they just aren't hiring much. They will eventually. We are recovering from a deep recession you need to have patience. Honestly the recession isn't as bad as people make it seem. We are just a very greedy nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Those jobs still exist, they just aren't hiring much. They will eventually. We are recovering from a deep recession you need to have patience. Honestly the recession isn't as bad as people make it seem. We are just a very greedy nation.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Our national debt is fast approaching what we are worth as a nation.

To break it down for you, that is like someone making 50K a year but being in debt for 48K.

Try watching some new shows involving finance, 60 Minutes just did a piece on Sunday showing people known as "99ers", they're at the end of their UE benefits and can't find work.

I know someone whose company had one IT position, they received over 1200 resumes. He said HR was instructed to not even bother looking at any of those that arrived after the first 300.

People that have the finances are purchasing gold if they can find it. Gold by the way has increased at a rate of over $1,000 an ounce in the last few months.

The US dollar is losing value at an alarming rate.

This country is in big trouble.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Wrong, those jobs don't exist now as those positions were eliminated to cut costs. And in one breath you say we are recovering from a "deep" recession, but in the next statement, you say the recession is not so bad. Which is it ?

I personally am not suffering, but try walking a mile in the shoes of the laid-off IT worker or engineer or salesman or retail store manager whose job was eliminated. Tell them to have "patience" and they'll tell you that "patience" doesn't pay the bills. Tell them to tell the bank who holds their mortgage to have "patience" ... people move all the time and if Orlando doesn't offer a future for some, time to move on.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 PM

437 posts, read 811,033 times
Quote:
Wrong, those jobs don't exist now as those positions were eliminated to cut costs. And in one breath you say we are recovering from a "deep" recession, but in the next statement, you say the recession is not so bad. Which is it ?

I personally am not suffering, but try walking a mile in the shoes of the laid-off IT worker or engineer or salesman or retail store manager whose job was eliminated. Tell them to have "patience" and they'll tell you that "patience" doesn't pay the bills. Tell them to tell the bank who holds their mortgage to have "patience" ... people move all the time and if Orlando doesn't offer a future for some, time to move on.
Tell it to me to a recent graduate from Florida Atlantic University with BBA image how i feel making my ends meets with security guard

Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Wrong. I know people who live here who are IT workers and engineers. They aren't all gone.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:17 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Wrong. I know people who live here who are IT workers and engineers. They aren't all gone.
Thank god! That means the jobs still exist and are hiring! Those of us who were looking for jobs for MONTHS on end and are now working some crap job so we don't lose our homes must not be looking hard enough.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Thank god! That means the jobs still exist and are hiring! Those of us who were looking for jobs for MONTHS on end and are now working some crap job so we don't lose our homes must not be looking hard enough.
Yeah, since they're not all gone. maybe GLS2010 can point you to where these jobs are ...

Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Yeah, since they're not all gone. maybe GLS2010 can point you to where these jobs are ...
like you said, DC is a good place to start. After all, the government is never in a recession....

Some people might be inclined to say "California", but that place has turned into a nightmare IMO, with unemployment that rivals FL and a much higher COL.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
let's be mature now. When did I say they were hiring? All i said was that they exist. Over time as the economy gets better yes I'm sure they will hire again but I never said there are an abundance of jobs hiring.

This is what I mean by greed. "working some crap job so we don't loose our house". Your lucky you have a job to keep your house! If you find a better paying job in another city then go for it! no one is stopping you. No need to blame the city your in. It may be hard to find a job anywhere though because UE is still around 8-9% up north. these are tough econmic times NATION wide. Be thankful you have that crap job to keep your house because millions of people across the country have no job.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
let's be mature now. When did I say they were hiring? All i said was that they exist. Over time as the economy gets better yes I'm sure they will hire again but I never said there are an abundance of jobs hiring.
Why would you comment about the jobs existing? Obviously jobs exist... They're not hiring which is the problem and what you've been debating this entire thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando