Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
1. Yes. (Northeast and West coast)
We have been getting large amounts of Florida transplants in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Now that your posting in the Orlando forum everyone knows without a doubt that your DailyJournalist..

I'm sorry about your luck, we know how much you hate Floridians. We're still getting a lot of transplants from the Northeast too. But I have no problem with that since my families from the northeast.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM

437 posts, read 811,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Where CALI ? LA

Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM

288 posts, read 733,768 times
Oh! I actually thought you all were talking about Cali, Colombia!! Heh I was trying to figure out how that compared to here..

Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
This seems to me as another "Northeasterners gang up and attack Orlando" thread....gee whatever happened to DailyJournalist?

One poster stated FL never was and never will be a place to find meaningful employment. that is just not true. You can find meaningful employment anywhere you go, even Minot, North Dakota. Florida (Orlando especially) has MANY good fields to be in. Hospitality, medical, financial, retail, etc It all depends on what you like to do. But there is good money to be made in Orlando as well as Florida and the rest of the USA

One thing that is keeping the UE rate so high in this country is a lot of people (not all but a lot) who were laid off refuse to work for less than what they made before, also UE often pays more than most low wage jobs that are always looking for help.

I left Orlando for Las Vegas 5 months ago, and got a job my 2nd day in town...not bad for the WORST UE rate in America now huh? There are a few things you need to get any job in today's economy...luckily the list is not long

1. A good solid work history
2. A marketable skill or experience
3. A go-getter attitude

You have those 3 things, and you will be surprised at what you may find. Oh I forgot a forth one
4. Networking.

I dont take my own advice but networking can be a HUGE help in finding a job, just think 80% of the jobs people are working they only have them because someone they know recommended them via networking!

Also 20% of all job openings are going to be posted online, in the paper or in any job section anywhere. Look at it this way...say you go onto career builder and search "All jobs" in all categories in Orlando...and you get 2000 results....multiply that by 4 (the remaining 80%) and thats 8,000 potential jobs that arent listed because they are usually done through NETWORKING or knowing somebody within a company

So the jobs are there....people just need to go find them

Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
This seems to me as another "Northeasterners gang up and attack Orlando" thread....gee whatever happened to DailyJournalist?

One poster stated FL never was and never will be a place to find meaningful employment. that is just not true. You can find meaningful employment anywhere you go, even Minot, North Dakota. Florida (Orlando especially) has MANY good fields to be in. Hospitality, medical, financial, retail, etc It all depends on what you like to do. But there is good money to be made in Orlando as well as Florida and the rest of the USA

One thing that is keeping the UE rate so high in this country is a lot of people (not all but a lot) who were laid off refuse to work for less than what they made before, also UE often pays more than most low wage jobs that are always looking for help.

I left Orlando for Las Vegas 5 months ago, and got a job my 2nd day in town...not bad for the WORST UE rate in America now huh? There are a few things you need to get any job in today's economy...luckily the list is not long

3. A go-getter attitude

You have those 3 things, and you will be surprised at what you may find. Oh I forgot a forth one
4. Networking.

I dont take my own advice but networking can be a HUGE help in finding a job, just think 80% of the jobs people are working they only have them because someone they know recommended them via networking!

Also 20% of all job openings are going to be posted online, in the paper or in any job section anywhere. Look at it this way...say you go onto career builder and search "All jobs" in all categories in Orlando...and you get 2000 results....multiply that by 4 (the remaining 80%) and thats 8,000 potential jobs that arent listed because they are usually done through NETWORKING or knowing somebody within a company

So if Orlando is so great why did you move to Vegas????

Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So if Orlando is so great why did you move to Vegas????
Why I moved to Vegas has nothing to do with my post or this thread. All I said is the jobs ARE THERE if people seek them out. That doesnt just apply to Orlando, it applies to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Dallas, Hartford, Minneapolis, anywhere you go.

I lived in Orlando from 1995-2001, and again from 2005-this past may. It was always a dream of mine to move out west so I took the opportunity when I had it, Orlando will always be home though.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Why I moved to Vegas has nothing to do with my post or this thread. All I said is the jobs ARE THERE if people seek them out. That doesnt just apply to Orlando, it applies to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Dallas, Hartford, Minneapolis, anywhere you go.

I lived in Orlando from 1995-2001, and again from 2005-this past may. It was always a dream of mine to move out west so I took the opportunity when I had it, Orlando will always be home though.
The jobs may be there, the problem is there are more people looking for jobs than there are jobs.

For every one position that comes available, hundreds of people apply for it.

We are in the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Orlando along with two other FL cities have the worst job markets in the country right now.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM

437 posts, read 811,033 times
Is LA/ CALI good for jobs ? better than Florida

Old 10-27-2010, 06:24 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:

3. A go-getter attitude

4. Networking.

The jobs are there ? Could be ... but what kind of jobs ? Servers, cashiers, lawn maintenance ... how many professional jobs are out of there ? Tell some of the laid-off engineers that they should go mow lawns or wash dishes ... sure it's better than nothing, but wouldn't they be better off moving to an area with more professional opportunities ? Tell some of the IT workers with 25 years experience who were replaced by H-1B via workers that there are jobs. Once again, wouldn't it better to relocate to Boston/Raleigh/DC than wait tables ? A lot of those people have your 1st (3) qualifications and most have even the networking piece. But those out of work do not control the corporate purse strings ... and most families cannot survive on what you call "good money" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando