U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM

28 posts, read 49,628 times

Advertisements

We Northeasterners are thinking of retiring to central FL. Any comments on people who live in The Villages or Victoria Gardens in Deland, FL.? Thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 8,215,565 times
Hi, I rem. you from the DE forum which was our original destination but sometimes things have a way of changing. You might want to post in the Ocala FL forum for info on The Villages, we visited not long ago and it and it was very very nice, huge w/ lots of activities and everyone was friendly. You can do a search (the upper blue line says Search This THread). Would recommend doing a lifestyle visit - we did and also visited other communities in central FL (also on the E coast) - had a very good time. Have heard good things about Vic. Gardens but haven't been there personally.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 PM

793 posts, read 1,379,678 times
Sold a property to a couple retiring for the second time (yea right) in the Villages and they are having the time of their lives. We keep in touch and when they drive through Orlando we meet and chat, they made the right decision.

Although Victory Gardens has amenities (I've sold properties there also) it doesn't match the Villages.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 AM

12,529 posts, read 12,793,962 times
Actually DeLand itself is a great small college town (Stetson University) that would make for a nice place to retire. If you're more independent and less into newer cookie-cutter style living, it could be for you.

DeLand, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mainstreet DeLand Association - Welcome to Downtown Mainstreet DeLand

Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM

28 posts, read 49,628 times
Default Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback. I think my husband and I will take a trip to FL in February to see both the Villages and Victoria Gardens. We need to stay in the $250,000 or lower so I don't know what will be available, if anything.

We were looking in the Delaware area, but been thinking about winter coming and not crazy about the cold and snow.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,363 times
Default Mount Dora or Deland

Hi,
My husband and I are planning to retire soon to florida and after our first visit thought Mount Dora would be great. But we have now found out about Victoria Gardens in Deland. Has anyone visited or bought there? What are your thoughts on the community as well as the surrounding area, crime rates, etc. The homes online really look great! Thanks for any information you can provide.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 PM

171 posts, read 219,713 times
Smile Victoria Gardens

Any residents out there? Would like to hear more about this & the new Cresswinds area? The idea of living near a college town (Deland) is appealing.

Also, there seem to be TONS of resales in VG right now. Is something going on (like a huge increase in HOA fees) ???

Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 PM

480 posts, read 400,991 times
I grew up in DeLand. It's a great place... lots of art, music, cultural events. A great little downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants. Close to Daytona and Orlando.

I've seen Victoria Gardens but don't know anyone living there. It looks nice, though.

The Villages (only been there once) is a cute place to live. There's also a couple of mini downtown-like areas there, but I found them to be a bit fake.

I agree with Kyle that DeLand is better if you're looking for a small town experience (but a *real* town experience) and you are fully independent. The Villages might be a better fit if you're looking for an actual retirement community instead of
a town (because that is exactly what it is).

Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 AM

7,955 posts, read 7,135,705 times
A lot depends on the lifestyle you are seeking. DO you play golf and want that as the retirement goal? If so the villages have 21 courses or so. If you want the small town feel then Deland is perfect for that. It is also closer to some of the things you might enjoy in the "big City" theater, concerts and so forth.

Do you make your own schedule or like to have it planned out? Your level off independence is probably key.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:21 PM

97 posts, read 106,429 times
I'd rather retire in Detroit than DeLand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando