Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,429 times

Advertisements

For 175K go to Sun City Center off I 75 S of Tampa.

It's older but for that money you can buy a 2,000 sf home on a small lake that allows pontoon and small sailboats and a view. My Mom has the above house that will be listed in Jan. 2011.

There are a few golf courses etc.

I see a lot of liquor bottles in the recycle bins so they must party a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Totsuka said: Don't buy for a least a year. You might not like living here, being away from your friends family etc. Be warned, if you are near the coast, home insurance gets much more expensive. We got lucky again this year, so hopefully, insurance rates won't go up, much, but it only takes one bad year and wham!. Also, renting allows you to stay mobile...you can't pick up and leave if the areas get boring, etc. I'm not retired yet, but when I do retire, I don't want to home a home. I'll rent a small 1 or 2 bedroom apartment and call it a day. There are alot of retired people in FL stuck in a home they can't sell and that was their "nest egg" or they just want out.

I think Totsuka is a very wise person and you should re-read his (or her) post over and over.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 21,974 times
Default Retirees at Solivita

We have been living here for 4 years. After looking at the Villages, the Naples area, etc. we decided this was the most beautiful community. There are many activities and terrific people living here from all over the country. With prices so depressed you can get a good buy here now. I would agree with the poster who said to rent first. It is the best way to know if this is what you want permanently.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
For 175K go to Sun City Center off I 75 S of Tampa.

It's older but for that money you can buy a 2,000 sf home on a small lake that allows pontoon and small sailboats and a view. My Mom has the above house that will be listed in Jan. 2011.

There are a few golf courses etc.

I see a lot of liquor bottles in the recycle bins so they must party a little.
Sun City is out in the middle of absolutely no where, a long distance from any major city. Unless the highlight of your day is going to the grocery store to stock up on lemonade to drink while you play shuffleboard, I wouldn't suggest it. I can't imagine living that far away from the rest of the world. You can buy the same home in many newer communities much closer to civilization.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,429 times
I know. It does now have a Walmart and Home Depot.
Still needs restaurants.
Never could figure why my muti millionaire attorney parents "settled" there although they were big on living within ones means.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 AM

238 posts, read 742,622 times
Do your research, visit the areas and if you find what you think is right, RENT! There are excellent prices on houses and it is a buyer's market. But, if you decide that you miss the kids, grandkids, or the way it is back home, it'll be much better to stick it out until the end of your lease(try short term leasing) or just break the lease as opposed to trying to sell a house in this market.

I live in Solivita and it's a great place to live, but it, like many places down here may not be right for different people. There are houses here and in other "developments" that are available for rent/lease.

You may consider a place because it has has plenty space for visitors, only to find out that they don't have the time, money or their activities that won't allow them to visit as much as you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando