Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times

Advertisements

This is the worst move yet by the Governor. I did not vote for him but was willing to give him a chance and will admit, initially started thinking I may been wrong about the man. But after the release of his budget and now this I'm beginning to believe my fears were warranted. Here's a governor who ran on a "Let's get to work" but than kill a project that would have created tens of thousands of jobs. On top of that we had multiple Corporations willing to bid on the construction, maintenance and operation of the HSR. Essentially this would have been paid for the feds and private funding, and than operated by private corp. Although he argues this would have been a burden on the tax payers he failed to mention that the bids submitted by private corp would have to include agreements to cover any costs overrun and deficiencies in ridership. This was a great opportunity to lure new jobs, industry, and private investment that just disappeared into thin air. Morover it was the first step in planning for the future of our state. Now we look like the po-dunk backwoods sunburned hokies we always been portrayed as. For once, we stood to take the lead on a progressive investment that will change the way we, our country, and the world lives and now, here we are, stuck in 1970 again. Well I guess we can just keep widening I4 and send our tourist to Las Vegas and Cali where they can see all the major cities and sights by jumping on a HSR. Congrats Cali, hope you make good use of the money and jobs our Gov has sent to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times
Too bad they can't use the 2.4 billion for something else then.

There are only dreams so far to build a HSR from LA to Vegas, so don't count on that.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Yes they finally killed this terrible HSR project , let the money go to Cali and the Northwestern US.....

Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yes they finally killed this terrible HSR project , let the money go to Cali and the Northwestern US.....
You wont be laughing when Cristie is done gutting your state as well . As somebody who is skeptical of ALL political people, issues, and parties, I actually am sad to miss something good that Obama wanted to do for our state, and our country. Guess he won't be back down here to "ride it" like he said in Tampa.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM

428 posts, read 1,082,879 times
Who's really going to use it and who really needs it? Other states turned doen the Fed. money so why not FL.
Like it or not the state and fed budgets have to be balance just like our own checkbooks.
Time to "man up" and live within your means.
I have an idea for all of the people that want HSR; send in some of the green stuff in your Daddys wallet and mail it to HSR c/o Soupy Sales!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You wont be laughing when Cristie is done gutting your state as well . As somebody who is skeptical of ALL political people, issues, and parties, I actually am sad to miss something good that Obama wanted to do for our state, and our country. Guess he won't be back down here to "ride it" like he said in Tampa.
Not really there are 3 Railway projects UC , and hes onbroad with the Gateway project.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Keith, WE need it. We need the jobs, we need the money, and I have no doubt as traffic gets worse and gas more expensive...THERE WILL BE RIDERS! Here's the reality, FL pays taxes to the FEDS, why not get some of that money back in this project so WE can create jobs in our own state from the taxes we already paid. And why would a company like Siemens be so eager to invest in a money loss pit and agree to operate it? Last time I checked you don't become a Fortune 500 company by investing in "boondoggles". I'm sure the people at Siemens were just not as insightful as our good governor.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM

51 posts, read 101,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Keith, WE need it. We need the jobs, we need the money, and I have no doubt as traffic gets worse and gas more expensive...THERE WILL BE RIDERS! Here's the reality, FL pays taxes to the FEDS, why not get some of that money back in this project so WE can create jobs in our own state from the taxes we already paid. And why would a company like Siemens be so eager to invest in a money loss pit and agree to operate it? Last time I checked you don't become a Fortune 500 company by investing in "boondoggles". I'm sure the people at Siemens were just not as insightful as our good governor.
Seriously dude, the US is $14.000.000.000.000 in debt. You really want to start building "High Speed" Rail that is already obsolete compared to what other countries have. Don't think so man.

When they come up with something that is truly going to be a game changer, I might just root for it. But not this.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM

So somehow sitting here doing nothing changes the fact we're in Debt and alleviates it? Is it lost on most people that this money WILL be spent regardless if it's here or in Cali or the East Coast? We're not exactly saving anyone $2 billion dollars by not accepting it, we're just shifting that money and jobs elsewhere. But I guess we all have to have our principles. Waiting for the "game changer" instead of taking progessive steps is like waiting for the perfect girl to come along and refusing to date anyone else until than. Well you may eventually find her or you may end up lonely, but most likely you'll be the crazy dog hourder...ok I digress.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

51 posts, read 101,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
So somehow sitting here doing nothing changes the fact we're in Debt and alleviates it? Is it lost on most people that this money WILL be spent regardless if it's here or in Cali or the East Coast? We're not exactly saving anyone $2 billion dollars by not accepting it, we're just shifting that money and jobs elsewhere. But I guess we all have to have our principles. Waiting for the "game changer" instead of taking progessive steps is like waiting for the perfect girl to come along and refusing to date anyone else until than. Well you may eventually find her or you may end up lonely, but most likely you'll be the crazy dog hourder...ok I digress.
I have to disagree. Saying the the $2 billion is going to be spent anyway is what got us into debt in the first place. Starting to make to mature choices will start getting us out of debt. Investing in an obsolete system is pathetic at best. If you are going to do investment you should invest in real progress not something what is already old before it's built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando