U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2011, 03:08 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,736,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
im a college student trying to figure out where i should move...right now i live in georgia and hate it and want to move. I have already been to Florida and Newyork and like both the same but i can decide which one i'd rather move to?
How far along are you in college? If you are just starting out, you will want to stay where you are. In-state tuition will almost always be less expensive in your home state than as an out-of-state resident of either Florida or New York. The key is to finish what you started in as rapid a fashion as possible. Delay your personal gratification until you graduate, and go to the state that will offer you the greatest opportunity to utilize your education. With funding for post- high school education so stressed, gaining student residency in your desired state will be scrutinized closely, and you will pay the tuition of a nonresident in most instances.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 PM

288 posts, read 394,695 times
Comparing NY to FL is apples to oranges. I've lived in both places too. It's like cold weather, a rat race, and good jobs vs more laid back, better quality of life, and lower pay. Have you considered somewhere in-between, like maybe the DC area, or the Research Triangle Park area? That way you could have the best of both worlds more or less when you feel like it.. until you decide..

Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,576,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
Comparing NY to FL is apples to oranges. I've lived in both places too. It's like cold weather, a rat race, and good jobs vs more laid back, better quality of life, and lower pay. Have you considered somewhere in-between, like maybe the DC area, or the Research Triangle Park area? That way you could have the best of both worlds more or less when you feel like it.. until you decide..

Better quality of life in New York?

Depression is higher in Florida than it is in New York.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 PM

288 posts, read 394,695 times
It's all relative.. there's a lot of depression right now all over the place.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:00 PM

5,857 posts, read 6,148,473 times
^^^ Is it all the unhappy NY'ers?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:53 PM

4,909 posts, read 4,484,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Better quality of life in New York?

having lived in upstate NY for a few years, depression is a way of life up there for the majority of the year when it's dark, cold and snowy.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM

37 posts, read 35,726 times
I would say FL. I lived in NYC and it was ok..... I live in TX now and I am so tired of it and I was born and raised here. I can't wait to move to FL.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,504,021 times
I don't think anyone can answer which is better. It's all in what you want out of where you want to live.
There are pros and cons of each area.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM

107 posts, read 175,646 times
According to the latest Census most of the population has moved south, many have left NY (as a result NY lost seats in the government, Florida gain seats) It is Cold, snowy, Gray. I know a lot of people that do not have Jobs.
Have you heard the expression "The Grass is always Greener"...it is totally your choice but NY both the state and the City are not a piece of cake either. Winters are long, everything is expensive and work is hard to find.

Visiting both states is very different than living in them. You might hate NY too. Might be good to just stay where you are and finish school there then move.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,400,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando