Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM

237 posts, read 1,055,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cigarboo--we are relocating from the great state of NJ!
We moved from NY. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 21,641 times
I don't think there's any difference between W.S. and Oviedo. I grew up in Winter Springs, now I live in Oviedo. And the two are so similar, and right next to each other, they might as well be one town.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,985,172 times
We lived in Winter Springs for a while and we LOVED it.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM

80 posts, read 230,174 times
OP, did you go visit? What did you decide?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM

71 posts, read 217,605 times
We are also looking at these 2 areas but we are not moving til 2013. My kids will be 14, 11 and 6 at that point and my oldest son is a baseball fanatic, he lives to play the game! I am hoping we can find an area that offers great activities for the kids and has a small town feel. We live in a small town now(not even 1 red light in it!) and love it. Just hate the winter weather and my husbands hour long commute!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,913,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey11474 View Post
We are also looking at these 2 areas but we are not moving til 2013. My kids will be 14, 11 and 6 at that point and my oldest son is a baseball fanatic, he lives to play the game! I am hoping we can find an area that offers great activities for the kids and has a small town feel. We live in a small town now(not even 1 red light in it!) and love it. Just hate the winter weather and my husbands hour long commute!
This is a tough one. Basically all suburbs under 100k are what I'd call small towns except for the fact that they're are adjoined to the adjacent suburbs and therefore do not constitute a true small town. Now that said, WS and Oviedo are edge suburbs and still have room to grow and aren't 100% built yet. You can find areas that feel very suburban, exurban, or even downright rural. However, don't make the assumption that the entirety of WS or Oviedo is anything like a small town, but they do have their parts that certainly do. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 AM

71 posts, read 217,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This is a tough one. Basically all suburbs under 100k are what I'd call small towns except for the fact that they're are adjoined to the adjacent suburbs and therefore do not constitute a true small town. Now that said, WS and Oviedo are edge suburbs and still have room to grow and aren't 100% built yet. You can find areas that feel very suburban, exurban, or even downright rural. However, don't make the assumption that the entirety of WS or Oviedo is anything like a small town, but they do have their parts that certainly do. Good luck.
Thanks for the info!
We are open to any town that isn't overly huge that is safe, has great schools, offer community sports and activities and so we will probably be considering developments too, as long as they have some nice community areas. We love to be outdoors riding bikes or going for walks.
Our current town is very small( under 4k people) but we are only 5 minutes from 3 larger towns that have some great shopping centers/restaurants and have at least 10 playgrounds and 5 large parks within a 3 mile radius. We are also within 20 minutes drive of a few larger cities such as Allentown and Reading and only an hour or so from Philly.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 PM

37 posts, read 115,182 times
I think we are leaning more towards Oviedo. I just like the feel I get from looking online and the things I have read. I plan on going down next month and making the final decision. We are hoping to move the beginning of August to get the kids settled before school starts.

I'm so excited I can barely contain myself!!!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,827 times
Default Wondering what you decided on?

Hi,
I just saw this thread because I too am deciding on relocating to Florida from NJ. I am extremely interested in Winter Springs & Oviedo & was wondering how you made out with your family. My little ones are 7 & 8. I have read great things about the schools in both areas, but really want a family oriented community with lots of activities. Also, my son is extremely involved in sports (football, lacrosse, baseball, wrestling) & my daughter is involved in a dance company. I was wondering if one of these towns were better than the next for those activities?
I appreciate all of the truthful comments you have received so far. So many positive things written in response to your post which is such a breath of fresh air. I have been so apprehensive about moving to florida because of all of the horror stories I have read about snakes, palmetto bugs & spiders. I have a terrible fear, & am not sure if people write stuff to scare people, or the problem is really that bad. I was hoping that if you have moved already that you might be able to give me some more information. Thanks so much & I hope your family is enjoying your new home!

Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,270,569 times
We lived in Oviedo, my kids went to school there, and my son was on the Oviedo Little League.

We moved to Tuskawilla, my kids went to school there and Winter Springs, and were on the WS sports teams.

In our case I would give the edge to Oviedo. that was a few years back so take it for what it is worth.

I live in Oviedo now as a retiree and like it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando