Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 19,583 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently living in Knoxville, TN, but my husband has possibly landed a job in Orlando. We've visited the area several times, but don't know much about the area as far as a place to live. I would like an insiders perspective on what areas in or around Orlando are desireable. We would like a neighborhood that is resonably safe, and not too outrageous on rent. Also, we would like an area that is not too far of a drive from downtown Orlando, since that is where my husband would have to drive to work everyday. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,155,532 times
It depends on how much you want to spend on rent.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,966,297 times
Disney World.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
Audubon Park, Colonialtowne, Conway and College Park are all nice affordable areas very close to downtown. If you're willing to venture out further, Altamonte Springs, East Orlando, Longwood, Maitland and Lake Mary are also nice. Given your user name and husbands job location I would focus the search on the first group of neighborhoods listed.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:32 PM

26 posts, read 71,101 times
I realize that your post is a coupla months old - but I have to second Crane's Rooster's post. My husband and I both work and play downtown, and we live in the Conway area. Try Bryn Mawr or Wedgewood subdivisions there. College Park is an awesome community with a good mix of people there, but it's prices can be tad high. There is a lot of new upscale "custom" homes being built there suddenly (right next to homes built in the 30's or 60's), which makes for an even greater dynamic. I love to drive around College Park! To me though, Conway is tops because it feels a little suburban, but you're literally 5 minutes from downtown and 15 minutes from theme parks.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 19,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It depends on how much you want to spend on rent.

Can you tell me the average I would be expected to spend on Rent in or around the Orlando area.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 PM

58 posts, read 162,388 times
Check out Sanctuary, Oak Crest & Bella Vista - all part of the Tivoli Woods development. Close to 3 major arteries that will get you downtown, to the attractions, OIA, and the east coast (Cocoa). I regularly drive into Orlando - 15 minutes.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM

12 posts, read 39,633 times
This sounds familiar. My husband got transfered to Orlando from Colorado last July. We made the long and stressful move. It was a huge mistake that we have to live with until we can get out of here. I originally wanted to live in Celebration, but it was a little pricey. I wished I would have found a way to live there as I think it would have been a better match for us.
We live in Metrowest (near Universal Studios) at a place called Gates of Harbortown in a 3 bedroom townhome. We pay $1695 and the community is gated. We can hear the Disney fireworks nightly, but we cannot see them. The area appears nice, but there is a lot of crime, road rage and rude neighbors. The gates on many of these communities break down and rarely work. Make sure you park your car in the garage for safety. Honestly, I have never felt safe living here. On several occasions I have been approached by shady people lingering in shopping center parking lots during the day asking weird questions like do you want to sell me your car or for $40 I can do repairs to your car. It's just weird. I carry mace at all times. My middle school age child hated the schools here, and we have to homeschool him which I did not plan on. If you don't have to move here I wouldn't. Tennessee is a beautiful state and I am sure it doesn't have roaches like Florida seems too.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,479,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyisitsodifficult View Post
This sounds familiar. My husband got transfered to Orlando from Colorado last July. We made the long and stressful move. It was a huge mistake that we have to live with until we can get out of here. I originally wanted to live in Celebration, but it was a little pricey. I wished I would have found a way to live there as I think it would have been a better match for us.
We live in Metrowest (near Universal Studios) at a place called Gates of Harbortown in a 3 bedroom townhome. We pay $1695 and the community is gated. We can hear the Disney fireworks nightly, but we cannot see them. The area appears nice, but there is a lot of crime, road rage and rude neighbors. The gates on many of these communities break down and rarely work. Make sure you park your car in the garage for safety. Honestly, I have never felt safe living here. On several occasions I have been approached by shady people lingering in shopping center parking lots during the day asking weird questions like do you want to sell me your car or for $40 I can do repairs to your car. It's just weird. I carry mace at all times. My middle school age child hated the schools here, and we have to homeschool him which I did not plan on. If you don't have to move here I wouldn't. Tennessee is a beautiful state and I am sure it doesn't have roaches like Florida seems too.
If you're being approached in parking lots, maybe you should do your shopping in nearby Dr. Phillips. I've never been approached by anyone, ever. I've always felt safe, no need to carry mace. Also, it's unfortunate that you're paying so much for MetroWest. There are places to rent in Dr. Phillips and Windermere for less than than $1695/month.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:39 PM

4 posts, read 24,236 times
NO PLACE! I worked like a dog here and got treated like Cr*p by everyone around me. DO NOT MOVE HERE EVER! EVERYTHING is too high for no reason and the state most esp central FL area is a steaming pile of P**!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando