Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 28,081 times

Advertisements

I am pursuing a long term career with Universal Orlando Resort. I was hoping to hear from current or former employees on overall working atmosphere, pay rates, ability to move up in the operation, benefits, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 AM

70 posts, read 258,374 times
Trying to figure out if people have nothing to say about working at Universal or if they are under some sort of gag order from complaining about how bad things are since there is nothing anywhere on the internet about it. WDW employees have blogs and all kinds of stuff.

Guess I will just have to find out for myself!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
It depends on what you plan on doing there. If you are going in as a professional--in management, accounting, legal, engineering, etc. it's like working for any larger corporation.

If you are going in as an $8/hour park employee, it's like any service type job. There is some but generally minimal room for advancement, it's almost impossible to get f/t hours, and benefits are so-so. My son's best friend works there, he's x-trained in a bunch of departments, he's been there for two years, no discipline actions, and still can't get off p/t to f/t even though he generally works over 40 hours a week.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
Parking booth sits in a booth in the sun. Beverage seller sells beverages in the sun. Ride restriant clicker-downer makes repeditive motions all day in the shade. Food service people make substandard food in the shade with large fans (maybe AC). Sweeping dude sweeps in the sun. Person who sells souvenirs works in AC if they're lucky.

After your first hour or so, you've made enough money to cover the gas to get to work and back. After around three, you have enough to buy lunch (but not in the park.) So, if you only work four hours, you got $8.

If I was doing it, I'd want landscaping. Probably early morning work when it's cool and longer hours per work session, maybe.

If you have an office job, congrats.

Edited to add:
1. Original post was last year.
2. I didn't notice it said Resort. You'll be cleaning rooms more than likely in AC.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM

25 posts, read 100,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyleo View Post
Trying to figure out if people have nothing to say about working at Universal or if they are under some sort of gag order from complaining about how bad things are since there is nothing anywhere on the internet about it. WDW employees have blogs and all kinds of stuff.

Guess I will just have to find out for myself!
As Annerk mentioned it really does depend on what you will be doing at the resort. I have a friend who works there as a ride tech full time. He's been there two years and his current pay rate is $20.50 an hour. A ride mechanic's pay is about the same rate. I have another good friend that works as a designer for Universal Creative (Universal's "Disney Imagineering" division)who's salaried at $86,000 per year. He's been there a little less than five years. Neither have expressed any complaints about working there other than the usual gripes about some of the management calls that every company has. Both have expressed that the benefits are just "okay".

Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzyner View Post
As Annerk mentioned it really does depend on what you will be doing at the resort. I have a friend who works there as a ride tech full time. He's been there two years and his current pay rate is $20.50 an hour. A ride mechanic's pay is about the same rate. I have another good friend that works as a designer for Universal Creative (Universal's "Disney Imagineering" division)who's salaried at $86,000 per year. He's been there a little less than five years. Neither have expressed any complaints about working there other than the usual gripes about some of the management calls that every company has. Both have expressed that the benefits are just "okay".
That's much better than what I expected. I'll have to adjust my "they're slave drivers" attitude.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 PM

70 posts, read 258,374 times
lol I'm lucky and have a husband with a very good salary and great benefits so I'd mostly be working "just for fun" - hence, I'm pursuing character work, but also wait staffing, in the meantime. And being "stuck" at part-time sounds fabulous to me!! Sorry, I'm one of those pesky "stay-at-home" moms that just work for fun and spending money.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 AM

135 posts, read 439,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzyner View Post
Just for you info, ride mechanics do not make 20.50 an hour! My husband worked there and had alot of experience and they only made 15.00 an hour and so he went over to Disney and he started at Disney higher then 20.50 an hour, and in 2 years you end up making almost 13.00 more an hour than the Universal Ride Mechanics! The Disney Benefits are much better also!! The techs do make more money then the mechanics at Universal. My husband worked with some guys who were there over 5 years and still werent making what he started at Disney. The Disney mechanics get paid very well!! They definitely take care of them. Now bus drivers on the other hand.....the lowest pay I ever made as a bus driver but what can you do! I'm not the main bread winner so thats ok!! lol!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyleo View Post
lol I'm lucky and have a husband with a very good salary and great benefits so I'd mostly be working "just for fun" - hence, I'm pursuing character work, but also wait staffing, in the meantime. And being "stuck" at part-time sounds fabulous to me!! Sorry, I'm one of those pesky "stay-at-home" moms that just work for fun and spending money.
The problem you're going to run into is that they want full availability for even part time work. You'll have to commit to two weekend shifts and you can't change your availability for the first six months of employment.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:25 PM

25 posts, read 100,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
Just for you info, ride mechanics do not make 20.50 an hour! My husband worked there and had alot of experience and they only made 15.00 an hour and so he went over to Disney and he started at Disney higher then 20.50 an hour, and in 2 years you end up making almost 13.00 more an hour than the Universal Ride Mechanics! The Disney Benefits are much better also!! The techs do make more money then the mechanics at Universal. My husband worked with some guys who were there over 5 years and still werent making what he started at Disney. The Disney mechanics get paid very well!! They definitely take care of them. Now bus drivers on the other hand.....the lowest pay I ever made as a bus driver but what can you do! I'm not the main bread winner so thats ok!! lol!
Just FYI -With all due respect, Universal raised the pay rate for ride techs and mechanics to match Disney's rate four months ago. My friend did start at $15.00 an hour, but that was starting wage two years ago. He now does indeed make $20.50 per hour (Confirmed today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: