U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,175 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I recently moved to Lake Mary/Heathrow in October and so far we are very happy with our decision to relocate here from NYC. I have a question about middle schools. My daughter will be entering middle school in August and I'm terrified about it. She currently attends a very nice elementary school and is zoned for Sanford Middle. She will not be entering the Magnet or IB program because her grades are average at this point. I visited the school at night and was not very happy with the location. Everything seems...run down and scary. I'm a bit worried about the neighborhood. The school itself seemed wonderful with many elective choices. Does anyone know if the school is safe? I checked online but could not find out anything about the safety of the school. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jdubois01; 02-16-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 AM

11,476 posts, read 25,708,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubois01 View Post
Hello,

My family and I recently moved to Lake Mary/Heathrow in October and so far we are very happy with our decision to relocate here from NYC. I have a question about middle schools. My daughter will be entering middle school in August and I'm terrified about it. She currently attends a very nice elementary school and is zoned for Sanford Middle. She will not be entering the Magnet or IB program because her grades are average at this point. I visited the school at night and was not very happy with the location. Everything seems...run down and scary. I'm a bit worried about the neighborhood. The school itself seemed wonderful with many elective choices. Does anyone know if the school is safe? I checked online but could not find out anything about the safety of the school. Thanks for your help.
It's OK, but I definately wouldn't be my first choice. I would start applying for a magnet school in a different location ASAP. (first come, first served) My friend's son went there because they are zoned for there and he did fine.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 AM

237 posts, read 904,613 times
I wouldn't want to send my child there if he/she were not going to take advantage of the pre-IB program or magnet offerings, but I guess our local school isn't so bad. I'm actually hoping my son will get into Sanford when we go to apply this fall. It's the most sought after magnet with around 160 kids on the waitlist this year.

I think it could be a great school, but if your child is stuck in the regular classes, with the other regular level kids, then she might have a problem learning and perhaps not feel safe. There are a lot of kids there that don't want to be there. Most of the higher achieving, magnet kids will have their core classes together.

I'm not sure, but I think you can probably look into some of the middle schools that have open enrollment. They may take your daughter as an out of zone student if they have space, but you may have to provide transportation. Typically, if you apply for another magnet school, it does require you to get accepted into the pre-IB program or whatever magnet program it offers.

If you have no choice but Sanford, your daughter can still make the best of if by taking advantage of the many electives they offer. Try to get your daughter in as high level core classes as she can handle. Getting into some honors classes will help her be with kids who are a bit more focused on school.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM

11,476 posts, read 25,708,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
I wouldn't want to send my child there if he/she were not going to take advantage of the pre-IB program or magnet offerings, but I guess our local school isn't so bad. I'm actually hoping my son will get into Sanford when we go to apply this fall. It's the most sought after magnet with around 160 kids on the waitlist this year.

I think it could be a great school, but if your child is stuck in the regular classes, with the other regular level kids, then she might have a problem learning and perhaps not feel safe. There are a lot of kids there that don't want to be there. Most of the higher achieving, magnet kids will have their core classes together.

I'm not sure, but I think you can probably look into some of the middle schools that have open enrollment. They may take your daughter as an out of zone student if they have space, but you may have to provide transportation. Typically, if you apply for another magnet school, it does require you to get accepted into the pre-IB program or whatever magnet program it offers.

If you have no choice but Sanford, your daughter can still make the best of if by taking advantage of the many electives they offer. Try to get your daughter in as high level core classes as she can handle. Getting into some honors classes will help her be with kids who are a bit more focused on school.
I agree. One thing I will say, they do provide a bus to get to other schools. When we moved, I didn't want to change my son's elementary school and they sent a bus for him. The downside was he spent a longer time on the bus.

I agree if you are in the IB program, it's a great option. As I said before, if not, it wouldn't be my first choice. If your child goes there, definately get involved with the extra activities they offer.

I know kids that live in Sanford that go to Lake Mary schools even though they aren't zoned for it. You have to apply and there are requirements to get in. they've made some changes to the rules. Another option that they offer are charter schools.

To the OP, you are doing the right thing about looking into this now. It's important to keep on top of it before the slots fill up. I'd call Seminole County School board and see what your options are.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,175 times
Thanks for the replies. I am looking into other magnet schools. Although, if she doesn't get accepted I've decided to sign her up for the advanced level classes in Sanford. They do have an extensive list of electives and she's interested in their pre-vet program.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
Sanford Middle School; although in the area, is the best school for technology and science you could put your child. The teachers are passionate and it will jump start your child in a multicultural, technology driven tact for academics. I believe people are missing the bus if they do not place their children in technology, science and math driven school. This is the future. Do not be misled by the environment. This will be a great experience for your child all the way around. Pray for your child and they will be in the correct environments anyways. IB is highly recommended, although my child is average I choose to reach for the moon with him and the worst will be landing on a star. If your child is musically and arts inclined you should look at Millineum. Deadline is December 1 at the Education Office off Lake Mary Blvd and 17-92 behind McDonalds and car wash. Hope this helps. Good Luck and God Bless!!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubois01 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am looking into other magnet schools. Although, if she doesn't get accepted I've decided to sign her up for the advanced level classes in Sanford. They do have an extensive list of electives and she's interested in their pre-vet program.

I hope it all turned our ok for you and your family. I am in the same terrifying position right now praying that we make the right middle school selection for our daughter. We did apply at Sanford MS. primarily because of the strong push for academics and I have heard as long as your child stays in the IB programs, he/she should be ok as most of the children there are there to focus on school and don't get in a lot of trouble.
I have also heard that the IB program at Sanford MS has a high rate of drop outs and children go back to regular classes because the work load is sometimes extreme and too much for some children. My daughter is a smart child but certainly not at the top of her 5th grade class and I don't want this important time in her life to be so stressful either missing out on other activities that she does outside of school.
I wanted to thank you for posting your concern. It's so hard to find this type of honest unbiased opinions online and researching this subject is sometimes very frustrating.
Blessings and best of luck to your family!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 PM

237 posts, read 904,613 times
My son is at Sanford and he's enjoying the school very much. The pre-IB program for 6th grade hasn't been as heavy with the workload as I had anticipated. Perhaps it's the teachers he happened to have gotten. There were just a few projects he had to work on(science fair, animal project), but besides that, it really wasn't much more work than in 5th grade. Perhaps it will be different next semester, when he gets Spanish(heard it's "hard") instead of P.E.(play time for my son). If your daughter is doing pretty good academically now, then she'll do fine in pre-IB. It's a nice group of kids.

Regarding kids dropping out of IB, maybe some kids struggle with the transition to middle school because they really have to keep up with their own work. Since they have 7 or 8 different teachers, no one is really there to tell them what they need to do in each class. I have no clue what he's suppose to do each day, so it's sort of sink or swim for him. I don't think that's much different in other middle schools. The kids lose the nurturing environment of elementary school, but they gain some independence and learn to be responsible for their own work.

I know the area by Sanford is scary, but it's really not that bad in the day time. I don't worry about sending my son there at all. So far, I've been very pleased with the school and the staff/teachers.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM

341 posts, read 424,732 times
Please don't count your child out of the pre-IB program just because she currently gets average grades. Her average grades in elementary school are really no indication of how she will do in middle and high school.

I live in nearby Volusia, and my daughter was not exceptional in elementary school. She stepped it up in 6th grade, and is now in her senior year of the IB program and will graduate in June. Seminole County has an excellent school system, but they are jumping the gun by making you think that middle school is even a pre-IB program in the first place. The curriculum for the IB program is set, the first 2 years (pre-IB) are 9th and 10th grade, with 11th and 12th grade being IB classes. What they are offering in the middle school is actually pre-pre IB (kind of ridiculous), and not a requirement for the IB diploma.

If I had decided my daughter's academic future based upon her elementary school record, she would not already have 2 college acceptance letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or