U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 17,943 times

Advertisements

Hi, my mother (47), myself (25) and our pets (dog and a cat) may be relocating to the Orlando area in the next few months. I've been doing research, reading these boards and looking at the city data pages of neighborhoods that seem to be appealing but I'm having a hard time with figuring out what is closest to Downtown and/or the Disney area. Is the Disney area close to Downtown or are they in completely seperate areas?

We are renting a house in April for two weeks in Davenport, which was supposed to be a leisurely vacation but may end up being an apartment hunt due to other circumstances. We did plan on checking out different areas like Lake Mary, Winter Park, etc but when I was looking through the Orlando pictures thread I fell in love with the look of Downtown Orlando and since we're from Queens, NY and are used to being in the middle of such a huge entertainment hub I want to make sure we don't end up in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do because frankly I'd lose my mind!

If you could recommend some neighborhoods for us to look at, or even some apartment complexes it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM

953 posts, read 1,253,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMickey View Post
Hi, my mother (47), myself (25) and our pets (dog and a cat) may be relocating to the Orlando area in the next few months. I've been doing research, reading these boards and looking at the city data pages of neighborhoods that seem to be appealing but I'm having a hard time with figuring out what is closest to Downtown and/or the Disney area. Is the Disney area close to Downtown or are they in completely seperate areas?

We are renting a house in April for two weeks in Davenport, which was supposed to be a leisurely vacation but may end up being an apartment hunt due to other circumstances. We did plan on checking out different areas like Lake Mary, Winter Park, etc but when I was looking through the Orlando pictures thread I fell in love with the look of Downtown Orlando and since we're from Queens, NY and are used to being in the middle of such a huge entertainment hub I want to make sure we don't end up in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do because frankly I'd lose my mind!

If you could recommend some neighborhoods for us to look at, or even some apartment complexes it would be greatly appreciated.
If you like living in downtown areas, look at Thornton Park, College Park, Delaney Park and Lake Cherokee.

I live in Lake Cherokee and would not consider living outside of the downtown areas.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,715,048 times
Honestly, the best place to have access to both Disney and downtown are places like Winter Garden or Ocoee and maybe Dr Phillips (although I-4 sucks and houses are still pricey in DP). Western Orange county towns have great access to both places because Apopka-Vineland Rd and 427 get you to Disney and east bound 408/East-West Expry is a great commute. Plus homes are great prices and lots of rentals are available.

WG/Ocoee don't have great night life, DP would have a better one. But I think you will be close enough with your commuting options to make up for it.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Honestly, the best place to have access to both Disney and downtown are places like Winter Garden or Ocoee and maybe Dr Phillips (although I-4 sucks and houses are still pricey in DP). Western Orange county towns have great access to both places because Apopka-Vineland Rd and 427 get you to Disney and east bound 408/East-West Expry is a great commute. Plus homes are great prices and lots of rentals are available.

WG/Ocoee don't have great night life, DP would have a better one. But I think you will be close enough with your commuting options to make up for it.

Good luck!
As a side note, unless you work at Disney, I would not want to live anywhere near Disney.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
As a side note, unless you work at Disney, I would not want to live anywhere near Disney.
Near Disney means to me like Kissimmee or Lake Buena Vista. Places north of there (like I mentioned) aren't part of that tourist hell that I believe you are referring to. Although Dr Phillips could get like that, being close to I-Drive.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM

I agree. Dr. Philips may be nice, but the traffic is dreadful and the I-Drive area is seedy as hell.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

I don't need to be super close to Disney, but as you can tell by my username I can just a big fan and would like to be an annual pass holder and not have to drive a long time to get there. I also enjoy the downtown Disney area when on vacation but I guess it's different when you're not a tourist.

I saw two rentals in the College Park area on rent.com but they weren't very nice looking for the price, maybe we're better off a little further from downtown. I'm just afraid of being stuck out in the middle of the country. We have a lot of family friends in St. Cloud and I saw very affordable two bedroom apartments but someone told me that St. Cloud is basically in the middle of nowhere, is that true? I wouldn't mind being 30-45 minutes from Downtown, that's how far I am from Manhattan if I get stuck in traffic right now.

I'm confused by all this talk of Orlando traffic, I've read threads on here comparing it to NY traffic and it seems that to me it won't seem so bad because I'm used to sitting in bumper to bumper non moving traffic.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Interstate 4 is the worse part (and east on 408 past downtown). My wife commuted from College Park (nice area) on I-4 to I-Drive and it was the worse. I only commuted to downtown for work so it was never really that bad.

If you just want to be semi close to downtown, only commute to say downtown area, then College Park is a great place. If you only need to go to DisneyWorld once in awhile on weekends, it could work too.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM

I don't really have to worry about a work commute, I'm a portrait photographer that travels to clients. I would definitely only go to disney during the week to avoid the weekend lines, plus I work mainly weekend days. My mom is disabled so don't have to worry about a commute for her either.

I can't wait for our visit in April because all this talk of different highways has me total confused. I've never actually driven in the area. I'm sure once I start driving around it'll be so much easier to understand.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM

388 posts, read 658,861 times
Don't let people deter you with all the traffic talk. I-4 can be awful at times and there's certain other roads during rush hour that get bad, but nothing compared to the tristate area. Also, you could live nearly anywhere in the Orlando area (save some areas far west) and be within 45 minutes of downtown. If you're looking for more of an urban-like vibe you will not find it anywhere besides areas around downtown. While Dr. Phillips has some nice restaurants and shopping, it's very suburban. The areas near disney (winter garden/windermere/etc) can sometimes border on being rural, so you need to ask yourself what's more important, being near disney or being near downtown? With that in mind, it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get downtown from those areas via 408.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or