U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 PM

11,469 posts, read 25,695,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
CONFUSED. Everyone has given a different response! This sums it up:

There are no daytime mosquitos and never heard of no-see-ums

There are both and are out year round

Mosquitos are out May- October

Which is it? Maybe it is different depending on where in Orlando area you live? I don't get it. I just read an article about the tiger mosquitos in Orlando so they must be there, maybe some people are free of standing water and don't get them and others do.

Really, I want to know though! Are there mosquitos right now in February or no?

Thank you for the replies.
No mosquitos right now. We've been out every evening in the hot tub and just came back from camping. The no-see-ums aren't out yet either. They seem to be here about the time mosquitos are here for the warm weather. The no-see-ums are not umbearable, but they are here during the day when it's warmer out. I think they will be here in the next month or so since it's warming up. The more rain we get, the more mosquitos we get. Bug spray works for both. Hope this sums it up.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM

11,469 posts, read 25,695,605 times
I take that back, there are a few skeeters lingering tonight.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM

80 posts, read 200,927 times
most bugs cant survive in colder weather so you will have a problem with biting bugs in the months its warmer out (May-October)
also if you live near a body of water where mosquitoes breed or standing water like a ditch/retention pond you are likely to have a worse mosquito problem then.

I lived in Orlando for 21 years and never had a gnat bite me but moved to Atlanta and they were everywhere. Im in Maryland now and we only have mosquitoes from June-September but thats because its too cold other times of the year and they freeze to death

Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM

17 posts, read 40,711 times
Gnats(no see ums) breed around large bodies of water. That is where you will have a problem.
I've been in Orlando for 27 years, but I don't live on a lake, so I have never had an issue with gnats.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 AM

132 posts, read 215,166 times
Thank you for all the responses. It sounds like the biting critter situation is tolerable, especially if you don't live on the water or marsh. It also sounds like they spray like crazy to keep things somewhat under control.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,382,278 times
Mosquitos don't like my blood, so they don't bother me. Gnats do, but they don't bother some other people. It depends on what you can tolerate. I disagree that gnats are only found around water though. They seem to hang out in the grass and when you're playing in the yard around dusk, look out!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM

132 posts, read 215,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
Mosquitos don't like my blood, so they don't bother me. Gnats do, but they don't bother some other people. It depends on what you can tolerate. I disagree that gnats are only found around water though. They seem to hang out in the grass and when you're playing in the yard around dusk, look out!

You know, in South East GA they were EVERYWHERE! They were in the grass in the yard that was not near marsh or water and they ate me up alive! They were WORSE by the marsh though. It is just funny to hear that people have very different perceptions. One factor may be that some people are bitten and others are not. I get bit up in MD now and my husband does not. So I think mosquitos are more of a problem than he does. However in GA where we lived there is no way people could say there wasn't a gnat problem, it was very real!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or