U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,114,924 times

Advertisements

So Im getting job interviews in and around Orlando, I can afford to live downtown as I am not really the suburb type, now I've been there twice. what is it like for the young single 30's guy? is it where single young folk live.I enjoy nightlife and shopping. Miami maybe better for me, but Im not getting interviews like I am in Orlando. So I may end up here

as for downtown what about the clubs shopping etc? is there any other nice shopping areas in Orlando other than the Millenia Mall,( it's a nice place I like it) but other areas with high end clothing stores etc etc etc

are there people my age living down there? or is this town very suburban, like thats where everybody lives

so what is the lifestyle like? I am originally from Canada, BC, Vancouver Victoria etc I also lived in LA for a bit
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,613,696 times
I am also a young single professional who has lived downtown for the past 3 years. Here's my experience.

Overall it's a great area for young singles. Generally speaking there a 3 demographics that dominate the residents downtown, young professional, affluent older professionals and young service industry/college types. The nightlife here is always popping, there are well over 50 clubs, bars, restaurants within a 2 mile radius. But what I really enjoy about living downtown is all the activities during the day. For example today they had a downtown living and arts expo. There were thousands of people at Lake Eola just strolling around, eating, drinking enjoying the great weather. On Sundays I enjoy going to Thornton Park and grabbing lunch than just hanging out grabbing a brew at the local establishments. It's rare that you will find, or feel, that downtown is desserted, there's almost always people walking around for whatever reasons.

The conveniences also get better all the time, more restaurants, a grocery store, 7-11, etc. If you choose, you can park your vehicle and get everything done on foot. Of course if you want to get out and enjoy the rest of the area there's plenty to do outside of downtown also.

As far as shopping, Mall of Millenia is high end, Florida Mall has some high end boutiques also as well as some the premium outlets, and than there is always Park Ave in Winter Park.

Manhattan it is not, but downtown life here in Orlando is a vibrant and convenient lifestyle. Finding something to do is as easy as walking a few blocks. Pedestrian lifestyle is encouraged and it's a progressive/liberal area, yet not particularly "wild." It has not always been this way but it's changed alot in recent years and continues to get better.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM

good info does orlando get lots of concerts or live music?

I havent figured out where I will end up in the state, yet all info appreciated

Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,613,696 times
Thanks to the opening of the new Amway Center we are getting much better national shows now. This year we will be hosting Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne, Sade, Bon Jovi and I think one major country music act. The great thing is that if a major tour has a stop in FL it will likely either be in Tampa, Orlando or Miami...all of which are within reasonable driving distance.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,411,193 times
There's also some smaller music venues downtown like The Social. Universal also hosts a ton of concerts.. just look at the line-ups for Mardi Gras, Hardrock Cafe, and Velvet Sessions at the Hardrock Hotel. Then there's House of Blues at Downtown Disney.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM

this is all good info, I am a huge concert goer, I try to see 20-30 a year, ( yes Im serious)

one last thing is the nightlife upscale? I always see Orlando as the family place not the nightlife party town I do like nightlife, but in moderation

I used to live in Vancouver BC and Granville was white trash central at night, Im tired of that

what street has all the nice restaurant too?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,411,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
this is all good info, I am a huge concert goer, I try to see 20-30 a year, ( yes Im serious)

one last thing is the nightlife upscale? I always see Orlando as the family place not the nightlife party town I do like nightlife, but in moderation

I used to live in Vancouver BC and Granville was white trash central at night, Im tired of that

what street has all the nice restaurant too?
I don't think there's really a particular street in downtown that has nice restaurants.. but Park Avenue in Winter Park is pretty close and the Thornton Park area has some nice ones (like Dexter's and Hue)

Restaurant Row (Sand Lake Rd., between Turkey Lake Rd. and Apopka Vineland Rd. has a bunch of highly acclaimed restaurants, but it's not downtown.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:20 PM

80 posts, read 200,927 times
actually Orlando was rated one of the LEAST family friendly places to live. . .

People tend to forget that Disney is NOT in Orlando, its in a whole different city/zip code and a good 20-30 minutes outside of downtown. Downtown Orlando is VERY lively and progressive but not at all family friendly in my opinion Good news for a single guy wanting to go have a few beers and have a good time but not so good for a family of 4 who thinks its got a plethora of cool eateries that cater to young ones...at least not in downtown Orlando proper like Orange Street, Church Street etc etc. .

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 AM

2,144 posts, read 4,225,711 times
Downtown Orlando is very lively on the weekends...definitely not a family scene downtown at all, but if you are looking for a very 'upscale' scene overall you will probably be disappointed. There are upscale bars here, yes, but that is not the dominant vibe. Miami is where you want to be if you want trendy and upscale. Also, there are mostly young professionals that actually live downtown in the condos and homes of Thornton Park due to the expense, but downtown when you go out you intermingle with lots of service industry workers that also go out downtown. So, if you only want to be surrounded by yuppies you are not going to get that here. It's a mix.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Downtown Orlando is very lively on the weekends...definitely not a family scene downtown at all, but if you are looking for a very 'upscale' scene overall you will probably be disappointed. There are upscale bars here, yes, but that is not the dominant vibe. Miami is where you want to be if you want trendy and upscale. Also, there are mostly young professionals that actually live downtown in the condos and homes of Thornton Park due to the expense, but downtown when you go out you intermingle with lots of service industry workers that also go out downtown. So, if you only want to be surrounded by yuppies you are not going to get that here. It's a mix.

good points, thats what I thought, I may try to get working here and then hold out for one of my Miami Positions if anyone calls, I just need to know local cultures before I buy a place I think, its a big commitment

its doesn't all need to be yuppies, I don't mind service workers. I think Miami might be more my style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or